Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

I really sometimes miss living in Omaha, not in the winter but in general.

In retrospect I think it was the friendliest, most humble city I ever lived in. The people even when well-off seemed downright modest. I can't even think of a time I saw an Omahan show off.

The scenery is extremely lush and it smells really good from spring until fall and the city had many interesting areas.

There were alot of ethnic bakeries and restaurants when I lived there in my early 20s but many I heard have closed the last decade. But it was interesting to have Lithuanian, Slavic, Italian and Greek restaurants and bakeries all in one medium sized city.

Omaha also is a very generous and charitable city. There seems to be a massive pride in the community and there are alot of well-off people who seem to be donate huge sums for the good of the community.

Omaha also has excellent hospitals, excellent educational system from K-12 and beyond and the city has an excellent infrastructure.

I also sort of miss walking up and down the steep hills in South Omaha overlooking the river and seeing stately brick buildings, well-kept huge brick home and an abandoned shack almost on the same block.

I lived there two years, but friendliness, calm and polite locals I think about how nice of a city it was from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I really sometimes miss living in Omaha, not in the winter but in general.

In retrospect I think it was the friendliest, most humble city I ever lived in. The people even when well-off seemed downright modest. I can't even think of a time I saw an Omahan show off.

The scenery is extremely lush and it smells really good from spring until fall and the city had many interesting areas.

There were alot of ethnic bakeries and restaurants when I lived there in my early 20s but many I heard have closed the last decade. But it was interesting to have Lithuanian, Slavic, Italian and Greek restaurants and bakeries all in one medium sized city.

Omaha also is a very generous and charitable city. There seems to be a massive pride in the community and there are alot of well-off people who seem to be donate huge sums for the good of the community.

Omaha also has excellent hospitals, excellent educational system from K-12 and beyond and the city has an excellent infrastructure.

I also sort of miss walking up and down the steep hills in South Omaha overlooking the river and seeing stately brick buildings, well-kept huge brick home and an abandoned shack almost on the same block.

I lived there two years, but friendliness, calm and polite locals I think about how nice of a city it was from time to time.
I miss living in Charlotte NC so bad its painful.

I miss the grenery and the overally beauty of the city. I miss the vibrancy of living in a real city and all of the things to do there. Uptown Charlotte has a lot of energy, at least compared to where I live now. I miss having easy access to the coast and the mountains. I miss the balanced political climate. I miss being able to be open about my sexuality without fear and not having to endure gay-bashing conversations at nearly any social event I go to. I miss living in a place where religion was more of a personal choice and not constantly rammed down your throat (I know Charlotte is still more religious and conservative than much of the country but believe me, it might as well be the PNW compared to Oklahoma). I miss having enough shopping choices I never had to set foot in Wal-Mart.

I left in 2012 and still look back on that move with deep regret every day. Other than my job, there isn't a single thing, not one, that I like better about where I live now than Charlotte.

I also lived in Little Rock for a while and while I liked it less than living in Charlotte, I still have somewhat of a soft spot for it and I believe it is underrated.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
I feel this way about old neighborhoods I used to live in my own current city.

I get nostalgic when I walk through or even just near them. I also live in a pretty ****ty apartment right now,but in an awesome neighborhood. I have no intention to stay here long-term but I know I'm gonna miss the **** out of it when I leave, and every time that I have to come back here.

I think it really makes you appreciate what you had after you leave. At least that's how I feel every time I move to a different neighborhood.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:45 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
I have soft spot for every city I've ever lived in, and every neighborhood I've ever lived in. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing!

Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I have soft spot for every city I've ever lived in, and every neighborhood I've ever lived in. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing!
Nostalgia is powerful and also blinding. We tend to forget the negatives about places the led to our decision to leave and focus only on the positive memories we had there.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nostalgia is powerful and also blinding. We tend to forget the negatives about places the led to our decision to leave and focus only on the positive memories we had there.
I've found that just as many people only remember the negatives.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:14 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Ilvesheim Germany was the best place I ever lived, hands down, I really did not want to leave there when my dad retired from the military.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Nostalgia for every place I've lived. You always have memories of each place, the people and places and things you've experienced.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:17 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
I miss living in Charlotte NC so bad its painful.

I miss the grenery and the overally beauty of the city. I miss the vibrancy of living in a real city and all of the things to do there. Uptown Charlotte has a lot of energy, at least compared to where I live now. I miss having easy access to the coast and the mountains. I miss the balanced political climate. I miss being able to be open about my sexuality without fear and not having to endure gay-bashing conversations at nearly any social event I go to. I miss living in a place where religion was more of a personal choice and not constantly rammed down your throat (I know Charlotte is still more religious and conservative than much of the country but believe me, it might as well be the PNW compared to Oklahoma). I miss having enough shopping choices I never had to set foot in Wal-Mart.

I left in 2012 and still look back on that move with deep regret every day. Other than my job, there isn't a single thing, not one, that I like better about where I live now than Charlotte.

I also lived in Little Rock for a while and while I liked it less than living in Charlotte, I still have somewhat of a soft spot for it and I believe it is underrated.
I left Charlotte nearly 20 years ago and not a year has gone by when I have not missed it! I left for an ideal job opportunity, not because I did not like the city. I was planning to buy burial sites for my wife and I in Charlotte prior to receiving the once in a lifetime job opportunity. However, that job ended years ago and I am contemplating a potential move back to the city I truly loved.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:29 PM

71 posts, read 61,049 times
Quote:
True. I have a Soft Spot for Tampa, FL. I think about it every now and again. I left because of the lack of jobs and pay while having a single income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.