Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
i will also disagree with the earlier poster who said only small towners like Austin. From what I hear, it's people from big cities that want to get away from big cities. Austin may be getting larger, but I can drive to a secluded watering hole in twenty minutes.
I was referring to those that move there without a job or plan in place. People that are used to relocating, especially from smaller towns to big cities (or vice versa), are a lot more experienced and know how to plan vs. Joe Plumber who lives in Smallville, USA who has only read about the magic of Austin and plans to just wing it there without visiting or securing a job.

I do agree Austin is a nice slower pace for those that want out of a rat race style city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I'm pretty liberal and have nothing against Austin being "liberal." I disagree with the idea that Austin even is liberal to begin with. I mean, didn't it ban Uber and plastic bags while also gentrifying away poorer minorities? It's athomosphere isn't that different from that of other Texan cities, with major exceptions being that Austin has more of a college-party vibe (not to say it is a college town) and being much less diverse than the rest of the major metros. Also, I'm not some white, heterosexual, cis-male Christian who voted Republican (I've had Austinites assume I am, on multiple occasions, when I don't jump on the Austin bandwagon, for whatever reason), and Austinites aren't more tolerant than the people in Houston or DFW (suburban DFW, even, may I add). I would even say it is less accepting than the other two when it comes to politics. Can't speak of San Antonio, I've hardly spent any time there.

Any negative feelings I have is directed completely at the condescending attitude some Austinites, many of them migrants from other states, have towards the rest of the state. It's probably the most hateful and pretentious part of Texas.

As for people who've never been to Texas outside of Austin (and the airports) and say those type of things. They don't impact my view of Austin because, in my opinion, it isn't exactly Austin's fault that outsiders say stupid things. After all, Austin promotes that it is liberal, not that the rest of Texas is some backwards, redneck hell. In the end, those statements just worsen my views of the people saying them.
I agree with all of this, although the college party vibe isn't necessarily lacking in Big D. It's more distinctly young professional if that makes sense (22-35).

Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Texas: Austin
Michigan: Probably Ann Arbor
California: San Diego or San Francisco
Minnesota: Minneapolis (That one was easy)

Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Mine's easy: NYC.

I'll also do New Jersey since I've lived there in the past: probably Hoboken

Hoboken ?? Really? All these great beach towns and that' the best liked? Not even a little if you are from south Jersey...

Long Beach Island, or the real gem, Cape May. Yeah, my vote is for Cape May NJ.... gorgeous town...summer or winter....

Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I'm pretty liberal and have nothing against Austin being "liberal." I disagree with the idea that Austin even is liberal to begin with. I mean, didn't it ban Uber and plastic bags while also gentrifying away poorer minorities? It's athomosphere isn't that different from that of other Texan cities, with major exceptions being that Austin has more of a college-party vibe (not to say it is a college town) and being much less diverse than the rest of the major metros. Also, I'm not some white, heterosexual, cis-male Christian who voted Republican (I've had Austinites assume I am, on multiple occasions, when I don't jump on the Austin bandwagon, for whatever reason), and Austinites aren't more tolerant than the people in Houston or DFW (suburban DFW, even, may I add). I would even say it is less accepting than the other two when it comes to politics. Can't speak of San Antonio, I've hardly spent any time there.

Any negative feelings I have is directed completely at the condescending attitude some Austinites, many of them migrants from other states, have towards the rest of the state. It's probably the most hateful and pretentious part of Texas.

As for people who've never been to Texas outside of Austin (and the airports) and say those type of things. They don't impact my view of Austin because, in my opinion, it isn't exactly Austin's fault that outsiders say stupid things. After all, Austin promotes that it is liberal, not that the rest of Texas is some backwards, redneck hell. In the end, those statements just worsen my views of the people saying them.
So, long story short, you don't hate Austin? I've never had a bad time there. Love the core city vibe there. Love driving out to Lake Travis. Not shocked that people from Dallas don't care for it.

And yeah, those from OOS aren't fond of Dallas. Just the way it is. I wouldn't let it get to me if I were you.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I was referring to those that move there without a job or plan in place. People that are used to relocating, especially from smaller towns to big cities (or vice versa), are a lot more experienced and know how to plan vs. Joe Plumber who lives in Smallville, USA who has only read about the magic of Austin and plans to just wing it there without visiting or securing a job.

I do agree Austin is a nice slower pace for those that want out of a rat race style city.
Austin definitely attracts the anti-corporate, freeloader crowd. And, the tech crowd as well. Another thing that makes it feel like a west coast city in some ways.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Austin definitely attracts the anti-corporate, freeloader crowd. And, the tech crowd as well. Another thing that makes it feel like a west coast city in some ways.
"Anti-corporate" is always a funny one. SXSW is not corporate at all lmfao. No corporate hotels in downtown either . I especially love the Domain crowd going on about "Keeping Austin Weird." Usually with a Chipotle cup and Nordstrom bag in each hand lol. Every city has their freeloader areas.

I do love Lake Travis though. Most Austinites have never have been to White Rock Lake or nabes such as Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts, so they think all of Big D is concrete, chains, strip malls, etc.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:32 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
So, long story short, you don't hate Austin? I've never had a bad time there. Love the core city vibe there. Love driving out to Lake Travis. Not shocked that people from Dallas don't care for it.

And yeah, those from OOS aren't fond of Dallas. Just the way it is. I wouldn't let it get to me if I were you.
I like Austin for the most part.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM

498 posts, read 724,090 times
Chicago. Can't think of any other city in Illinois off the top of my head, though i'm sure there must be others.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 PM

9,973 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Chicago. Can't think of any other city in Illinois off the top of my head, though i'm sure there must be others.
The rest of the state has a love-hate relationship with Chicago so the "hate" part kind of neutralizes the "love" part.

I had suggested upthread that the one city in IL that seems to get all the love with none of the hate is Galena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.