Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 AM

765 posts, read 898,373 times

Advertisements

In Washington I would say Bellingham. It's not too big or too small. It has walkable neighborhoods, history, a nice downtown, lower cost of living, friendlier than Seattle-Tacoma, closer to nature, progressive, laidback, and an overall high quality of life. The only drawback is that the winters can be a bit colder than Seattle-Tacoma. Nothing substantial though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:11 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Hoboken ?? Really? All these great beach towns and that' the best liked? Not even a little if you are from south Jersey...

Long Beach Island, or the real gem, Cape May. Yeah, my vote is for Cape May NJ.... gorgeous town...summer or winter....
You both may be interpreting "city" in a different way. I'm from but NJ originally but never been to Cape May. Looking it up its population is only 3,500. Seems more like a historic town than an "city" in the colloquial sense.

You also bring up a good point. I doubt people in South Jersey care one way or another about Hoboken or Jersey City. For a small state we really are regionally divided.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I believe that Elkins might fit the bill for overall most liked town in WV. I have never heard anyone speak negatively of it, unlike the larger cities/towns in the state. Elkins is a mountain town near ski resorts, national and state parks, caverns, and even has Civil War history.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
For NC i'd say Asheville is most liked. While it is pretty liberal which could be polarizing, it's still the biggest tourist draw in NC that's a city. Beer, Biltmore, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

Charlotte and the Triangle cities are ruled out as favorites because many people in those two cities dislike the other city due to the rivalry. Winston-Salem and Greensboro are kind of neutral- not many people have strong feelings towards them either way.

I'd say Wilmington is the runner up to Asheville. I don't think it's heralded as much as Asheville though. Especially when Wilmington is compared to Savannah and Charleston it doesn't shine in the way that Asheville does.
This is right on. For NC, it's Asheville and Wilmington. Both cities offer something different than the other cities in the state and they are places where North Carolinians typically go to feel happy.
While nearly everyone will agree that Charlotte and The Triangle bring a lot of value to the state, there is way too much acrimony between them and toward them. They are places that people love to hate until they are there and then they are glad that they are.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
You both may be interpreting "city" in a different way. I'm from but NJ originally but never been to Cape May. Looking it up its population is only 3,500. Seems more like a historic town than an "city" in the colloquial sense.

You also bring up a good point. I doubt people in South Jersey care one way or another about Hoboken or Jersey City. For a small state we really are regionally divided.
In the Summer the population is 50,000+. Personally Sea Isle City is my favorite city in NJ-mostly because of memories growing up.

Otherwise Princeton and Frenchtown, NJ are two very nice towns.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
"Anti-corporate" is always a funny one. SXSW is not corporate at all lmfao. No corporate hotels in downtown either . I especially love the Domain crowd going on about "Keeping Austin Weird." Usually with a Chipotle cup and Nordstrom bag in each hand lol. Every city has their freeloader areas.

I do love Lake Travis though. Most Austinites have never have been to White Rock Lake or nabes such as Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts, so they think all of Big D is concrete, chains, strip malls, etc.
Idk if me saying "anti-corporate" offended you again. If it did, I do apologize. SXSW is attended by out of towners who are interested in film, music and technology. And the Domain crowd is definitely not the Keep Austi nWeird crowd.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
For NC i'd say Asheville is most liked. While it is pretty liberal which could be polarizing, it's still the biggest tourist draw in NC that's a city. Beer, Biltmore, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

Charlotte and the Triangle cities are ruled out as favorites because many people in those two cities dislike the other city due to the rivalry. Winston-Salem and Greensboro are kind of neutral- not many people have strong feelings towards them either way.

I'd say Wilmington is the runner up to Asheville. I don't think it's heralded as much as Asheville though. Especially when Wilmington is compared to Savannah and Charleston it doesn't shine in the way that Asheville does.
I do think it's Asheville, and not just due to the Raleigh vs Charlotte dynamic. There's also a large group of people outside NC that tend to bash NC cities. Raleigh and Charlotte (and Greensboro, Winston) are often characterized as boring sprawling bedroom communities, while Asheville is seen as a little exception. It is canonized as 'cool' throughout the country. Charlotte and Raleigh haven't established their coolness outside their respective regions.

I think Durham benefits from this phenomenon as well, to a lesser extent. It's grittier than the other piedmont cities, and therefore seen as cooler by some.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Chicago

Old 01-13-2017, 03:12 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Idk if me saying "anti-corporate" offended you again. If it did, I do apologize. SXSW is attended by out of towners who are interested in film, music and technology. And the Domain crowd is definitely not the Keep Austi nWeird crowd.
None of it is offensive, it's just ironic.

I do love SXSW.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:24 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
It's pretty obvious that Nashville is the favorite on C-D.

But recent events have demonstrated that Gatlinburg is the most beloved. So much that volunteers from Knoxville are having to come in to sort the used clothing, household supplies and etc that have been bestowed upon the town.

And bottled water... it might help to see if the water supply has been disrupted before sending truckloads of bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.