Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which conference will win the battle for the East Coast?
ACC 24 66.67%
B1G 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137;4693 vs 1626
I see what you're saying, but at the same time, I think that state population metrics would keep a UNH or URI at sort of a glass ceiling as opposed to an OSU or UM. Also, I think college sports have just generally taken on a higher priority in the Midwest and South compared to the northeast, because there are examples like you mentioned in the B1G and SEC also (Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Penn State, Indiana, etc. that have captured their state's followings and imagination because of winning, even UCONN regularly packs it to capacity for bball). There are I think three other things that contributed to that though. One is that the more parochial nature of NE caused people to root for more teams like that (consider that Duke BBall and Notre Dame FBall have their biggest followings in the NYC market). Also, while large, state public schools were establishing their winning programs in the early days of CFB, the teams in the east that were successful were Yale, Harvard, etc. Now, after they kind of lowered football/athletics as a priority, the public schools in NE had a chance, but I suppose were already to some degree behind the 8 ball on building/financing their athletic departments to be able to compete with the Midwestern powers. Lastly, so much of the NE is urban, and the urban centers always have some type of pro sport happening, and generally they are also more successful than anywhere else too. It is also quite difficult for someone in the city to drive out to say go see Rutgers, Maryland, etc. Why not just stay in town and watch pros? However, I ultimately still think those teams do have potential, with all the population around them and all. I may be in the minority on this, but I think Rutgers and Maryland could have a chance to grow their bases tremendously if once-twice a year (or even full time), they played home games at say Yankee Stadium/RFK Stadium/FedEx Field/MetLife Stadium. But, ultimately, winning/recruiting/money talk loudest.
When I said similar I mean in concentration not scale. UNH or UMass sports fans seem pretty limited to Students and Alumni that live near the college. As opposed to UM or Ohio where all sports are supported by the community at large.
On the Big City thing you can see it in BC/BU vs UMass Lowell Hockey Attendance. UML has a hold on local press (Lowell and Merrimack Valley Papers) while "local" press in Boston (the Herald and Globe) mainly focus on the pro teams. As a result, UMass Lowell has higher attendance to their hockey games than BC or BU despite having a significantly less successful and storied program. Even UML's Basketball team gets better attendance than BU's despite UML's being only 4 years old, and hence not even eligible for the tournament. So I think there is something to having a geographic/demographic niche in College Sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 05:11 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No way in hell UNC ever joins the B1G even if the ACC dissolves which is fantastical thinking. The ACC is stable and about to make as much money as the SEC and B1G. None of the VA or UNC schools are leaving the ACC, period. MD left because the new president and AD (B1G alums) never felt MD was part of ACC country and sought the B1G. Money issues was their excuse to leave. Most of the MD alumni despised the move and still seems rather knee jerk and nonproductive to this point.

One of the reasons several board members and others cosigned the move was due to new basketball schedule that only scheduled one game against Duke and UNC each year, they felt slighted and pissed on. MDs only "real" rivalries are UNC and Duke basketball regardless of geographic locations.

The only reason some kids are going to Michigan and OSU from the east coast are the coaches, Harbaugh and Meyers...kids want to play for winners and not sure if that pipeline stays open if Va, UVA, Cuse, BC and others pick up the pace to compete with Penn State.
Even reading anything discussing the mere concept of UNC leaving the ACC ....especially to join the B1G makes me want to punch a kitten.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:49 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No way in hell UNC ever joins the B1G even if the ACC dissolves which is fantastical thinking. The ACC is stable and about to make as much money as the SEC and B1G. None of the VA or UNC schools are leaving the ACC, period. MD left because the new president and AD (B1G alums) never felt MD was part of ACC country and sought the B1G. Money issues was their excuse to leave. Most of the MD alumni despised the move and still seems rather knee jerk and nonproductive to this point.

One of the reasons several board members and others cosigned the move was due to new basketball schedule that only scheduled one game against Duke and UNC each year, they felt slighted and pissed on. MDs only "real" rivalries are UNC and Duke basketball regardless of geographic locations.

The only reason some kids are going to Michigan and OSU from the east coast are the coaches, Harbaugh and Meyers...kids want to play for winners and not sure if that pipeline stays open if Va, UVA, Cuse, BC and others pick up the pace to compete with Penn State.
maryland's rivalries would be Penn State, UVA, and West Virginia. part of their attraction to big10 was to play PSU b/c MD recruits Penn. hard.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
maryland's rivalries would be Penn State, UVA, and West Virginia. part of their attraction to big10 was to play PSU b/c MD recruits Penn. hard.
Not rivalries but the B1G is trying to manufacture one. Penn State is known for football and MD for basketball so MD never really had "real" rivalries per se. The closest rivalry MD had was with UNC and Duke Basketball and maybe even VA. In my opinion, Penn State and MD are odd fits for the B1G, definitely more in common and connections to northeast, mid-atlantic and south atlantic schools.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM

nah there are geographic rivalries, it is not based on what sport that they are better at.

i looked at wikipedia and they listed those 3 schools as Maryland's rivals, and Navy.

i don't think Maryland was a true rival of Duke or UNC in basketball, or not anymore than any other ACC team.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
nah there are geographic rivalries, it is not based on what sport that they are better at.

i looked at wikipedia and they listed those 3 schools as Maryland's rivals, and Navy.

i don't think Maryland was a true rival of Duke or UNC in basketball, or not anymore than any other ACC team.

Most true rivalries develop via conference affiliation amongst teams competitive in a common sport. MD was a charter ACC school and developed it's best rivalries against the ACC elite basketball teams UNC and Duke....MD is a basketball school. Just like the old Georgetown/Syracuse rivalry which are separated 400 miles.

I'm not buying Penn State, WVA or Navy as MDs traditional rivalries, in what...the debate team? There's always so competitive nature between teams within a certain geographic location like NC State and East Carolina but stone cold heated rivalries are created in-conference, years of hate. There maybe years when these teams didn't even play MD in any sport. Again, one of the reasons MD left the ACC was because the ACC practically dissed MD by only scheduling one game a year against UNC and Duke - a charter member school with legendary BB battles. Great rivalries are beyond geographical location but can bolster the hate.

Penn State, WVA and Navy were not in the ACC so building a rivalry didn't really happen and neither ever had consistent elite basketball programs. Georgetown and MD are in the DC metro but never created the animosity against MD akin to the elite ACC BB programs, specifically Duke and UNC..some classic games. I don't think you fully grasp what the old ACC basketball was about...especially amongst the elite or top programs, it was as crazy, serious and maybe even crazier than SEC football games.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-25-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 AM

i view a rivalry is a team that you have played regularly but was not scheduled by a conference. i think Maryland would probably play UVA regularly even if UVA had not been in the ACC. saying Maryland is a bball school means you only look at recent history. Maryland is trying to be good in football even if the results aren't there. if you say VCU is a basketball school, i wouldn't disagree with b/c it doesn't have football.

Maryland has the 3rd most ACC championships in football. most intense rivalaries are based on proximity and going up against the colleges for recruits.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Coach K begs to differ.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ddc9cbff6117

There's also a Wiki entry for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke%E...etball_rivalry

Duke and Maryland were definitely rivals. Maryland simply wasn't Duke's biggest rival.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM

Duke and Maryland were only really rivals for like 3 years one of which Maryland won the national title.

I'm talking about geographic rivals.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:20 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Duke and Maryland were only really rivals for like 3 years one of which Maryland won the national title.

I'm talking about geographic rivals.
You realize Maryland to Duke is 280 miles right? "Traditional Geographic Rivals" like Syracuse/Pitt? 360 miles. UT to OU? 372 miles.
Maryland and Duke really are not that far apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.