Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times

Advertisements

DC is very walkable.

Parked the car and walked everywhere, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Philly isn't all that walkable in general if one looks at the city overall. The core (Center City) is quite walkable but most of the city is not and without a car not easy to get around as the subway and rail system routes are fairly limited in-town with lots of space in-between them.
You never know what you're talking about when it comes to philly. It's very easy to get around without a car on philly as compared to say Sanford, fl where you live

Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is what prompted my post. Every city has a walkable downtown, but DC burbs are very walkable. Of course, they are all kind of homogenous ( anchored by a Harry Teeter or Giants). But, if you want walkable, but away from the city, DC is very strong.
I wouldnt say that. Crystal City is nothing like Clarendon, which is nothing like Old Town, which is nothing like Shirlington, which is nothing like Chevy Chase, etc. Sure they may look similar on the surface, but each one offers something a little different. Its not homegenous.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I wouldnt say that. Crystal City is nothing like Clarendon, which is nothing like Old Town, which is nothing like Shirlington, which is nothing like Chevy Chase, etc. Sure they may look similar on the surface, but each one offers something a little different. Its not homegenous.
I think he means that in comparison to the other NEC cities, DC's 'burbs are a lot newer with tons of New Urbanist developments and such. Old Town is more the exception than the norm in metro DC; compare that to Philly which has several older suburbs with historic, classically urban downtown like the Main Line suburbs, Collingswood, etc.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
People really underestimate LA in this category. It's the posterchild for decentralization, but also the densest metro area in the country. Tons of neighborhoods have their own downtowns, some much larger than others.

LA has: DTLA/Westlake/MacArthur Park/Koreatown, West Hollywood, Hollywood, downtown Beverly Hills, Westwood, downtown Santa Monica, Main Street Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Old Town Pasadena, downtown Culver City, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Belmont Shore (Long Beach), Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Santa Ana, Orange, Fullerton, Whittier, and probably a few others I can't remember right now. As I said, some are better than others. But many of their are self-contained enough that local residents can walk to many different local restaurants/cafes/bars/shops.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:03 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Is there a metro area that has as many walkable areas as DC. I understand that all of NY is walkable, but DC seems to have a ton of pockets that are self contained and walkable.
Toronto, if you're willing to include Canada.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:43 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
You never know what you're talking about when it comes to philly. It's very easy to get around without a car on philly as compared to say Sanford, fl where you live
Clearly you're the one who doesn't know anything and should probably consult a map. I actually lived in Philly minus a car for 10 years. Outside of Center City and select neighborhoods much of the city is very difficult to get around on foot with reliance on a bus system to get yourself around along with a fairly long ride to get to a subway/rail station. I lived in Port Richmond and despite being 4 miles from Suburban Station (central Philly) it would take half an hour with a bus to subway connection at rush hour. Many areas of the city are worse, which includes the Northwest and Northeast sections that account for half the city or more. So take your rolling eyes elsewhere, k?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think he means that in comparison to the other NEC cities, DC's 'burbs are a lot newer with tons of New Urbanist developments and such. Old Town is more the exception than the norm in metro DC; compare that to Philly which has several older suburbs with historic, classically urban downtown like the Main Line suburbs, Collingswood, etc.
This.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Philly is pretty dense and walkable throughout. You make it sound like a Sunbelt city here.
Axe to grind. Lost his job in Philly so posts are a bit of a broken record.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:57 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
This.
Regardless, they fit the description of what you were asking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.