Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 21,233 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a city to move to. After living in Illinois our whole life, we're looking for a different lifestyle. After plenty of research, I'm still looking for the best place for us to live. We love the outdoors, hiking, biking, fishing, and golfing. We need good schools and a safe place to live. We are a bi-racial family and need an accepting place that is progressive. I'm also looking for a town that is walkable, not one with strip-mall after strip-mall. Although we love warm weather, it is not our #1 priority. Advice on cities is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
My husband and I are looking for a city to move to. After living in Illinois our whole life, we're looking for a different lifestyle. After plenty of research, I'm still looking for the best place for us to live. We love the outdoors, hiking, biking, fishing, and golfing. We need good schools and a safe place to live. We are a bi-racial family and need an accepting place that is progressive. I'm also looking for a town that is walkable, not one with strip-mall after strip-mall. Although we love warm weather, it is not our #1 priority. Advice on cities is welcome.
From what I've heard, Portland, Oregon may be just up your alley! Oregon's "growth boundaries" that strictly-enforce and regulate where, when, and how urban sprawl can occur means that the state will retain its natural beauty for generations to come (On the flip side come some expensive housing prices, but I'd be willing to fork over an extra $100,000 for a home with a view of mountain vistas as opposed to a view of a scalped hillside with McMansions). Portland is also supposed to be a very friendly for bicycling and walking; a car is not a necessity. The Pacific Northwest, overall, tends to be more "Liberal", so alternative lifestyles, as well as people of minority status are probably much more well-tolerated than they would be in the "non-Yankeefied" South, for example. Portland's cloudy and rainy climate may be a bit of a drawback for your outdoor interests though.

Be advised that I'm just going on what I've "been told" about Portland and from what I've personally researched; I actually live across the country in Scranton, PA, a city that I rarely feel the urge to escape due to its coziness. Any Oregonians reading this can feel free to jump in and prove me wrong, but a state that abhors urban sprawl, embraces diversity, promotes usage of mass transit, and is lush with natural beauty sounds like the perfect place for you both!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,478,907 times
Asheville, North Carolina...enough said!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:58 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Asheville, North Carolina...enough said!
I so agree!!!!! All of western North Carolina is GREAT!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 21,233 times
We've looked at both Portland and Asheville. We visited Portland and it just wasn't the change we're looking for. It seems like Asheville has been getting quite the hype lately. I'd love to hear more about it and what the "feel" of the town is like.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,622 times
Here's another vote for Asheville, NC! If I were to live anywhere else other than where I live now (Charlotte area. Love it here, don't plan on leaving), it'd be Asheville. The town is laid back, a little expensive, and is a bit liberal, while the surrounding towns are affordable, more conservative, but very accepting. Even though there's a mix of beliefs, everyone gets along well and make it a more enjoyable place to live, something you don't find much around the nation. It seems to be this way across NC. I'm conservative, and at my church, there are many bi-racial families. I home school my sons, and in our home school group, we have a couple who are white and have adopted 5 African American children. In most cases, conservative doesn't = racism. Be careful not to fall for the old pre-1960's steriotypes. Biltomre House has to be seen. Stunningly beautiful, especially at Christmas! There's a McDonalds across the street from the Biltmore enterance that's a replica of the Biltmore House. Very fancy, with wood floors, marble surrounds, fireplace, and a baby grand piano. It's been featured on the Travel Channel. Very beautiful mountains surround the area. Awesome 4-season climate without the extremes (about 16" of snow a year). Would HIGHLY recommend!!

Last edited by friendnc; 12-03-2006 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Asheville's beautiful but I am not sure it is exactly walkable. It's got its share of big box stores, suburban malls, and urban spread, and not a well defined downtown.
...but what city doesn't? Move to Asheville and enjoy.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,483 times
how about the job market for someone who lives in Asheville. Are there good jobs to be had in Asheville or would one need to commute?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:15 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,622 times
That's a stickeler. The economy in the Asheville area is mostly based on tourism/retirees, so if you've got a job set up, you can work from home, or are retired, you'll be fine. Otherwise, you might want to think about it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.