Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 AM

650 posts, read 867,729 times

Advertisements

Okay I'll try to make this short. My husband and I are both early 20s, I'm a bartender, and we have kids. We currently live in south beach and hate it. We are from Michigan. The people here are terrible.

What we are looking for:
A city with great nightlife and a lot of bars for job opportunities
A city that is also family friend with good public schools because I will not private school my kids when they are school age
A city that we can feel is home because we plan on having more kids in the near future
A city that has a lot to do
A city with lots of shopping because I love shopping
A city with a lot of physical activity because I enjoy being fit and working out
A city that is diverse because our kids are biracial

Cities on the list :

San Diego
Los Angeles
NYC
Chicago

Lower on list are:
Houston
Las Vegas
New Orleans
Phoenix
Tampa
Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Those 4 probably address your needs, but man, really expensive for bartenders.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
I wouldn't pick a large major city and try to raise multiple kids bartending. Maybe a smaller metro with lower COL.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Okay I'll try to make this short. My husband and I are both early 20s, I'm a bartender, and we have kids. We currently live in south beach and hate it. We are from Michigan. The people here are terrible.

What we are looking for:
A city with great nightlife and a lot of bars for job opportunities
A city that is also family friend with good public schools because I will not private school my kids when they are school age
A city that we can feel is home because we plan on having more kids in the near future
A city that has a lot to do
A city with lots of shopping because I love shopping
A city with a lot of physical activity because I enjoy being fit and working out
A city that is diverse because our kids are biracial

Cities on the list :

San Diego
Los Angeles
NYC
Chicago

Lower on list are:
Houston
Las Vegas
New Orleans
Phoenix
Tampa
Orlando
You might need to include the price range you're looking to rent or buy in to get more specific answers. The only reason I say that is because that can automatically preclude you from places like New York or Los Angeles unless you're willing to live extremely frugally and not that great of a neighborhood.

If your husband is working what field is he in or seeking a job in?

Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
If it's a large city, I'd focus on the suburbs of them, since you can enjoy weekends out on the town and take the kids over to an aunt's/uncle's/grandparents house while you head out. Of course, suburban places typically have the better public schools and are much more family-oriented.

A big question is budget. If you can afford it decently, focus on living in a neighborhood with good transit into the city, and preferably in a suburb with its mini-downtown, such as Naperville, Burbank, White Plains, Anaheim, or El Cajon. Most of these places have at least a good main street, mall, gym, and local restaurants with enough energy to not keep you sleepy. Unless if you are wealthy, most of those cities aren't going to provide adequate space for a growing family, not to mention a generally less family-friendly environment in many places.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I wouldn't pick a large major city and try to raise multiple kids bartending. Maybe a smaller metro with lower COL.
Yeah, perhaps more affordable college or tourist towns may work.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Try Reno, probably lots of jobs for bartender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.