Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:08 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

I have some digestive issues but not any sinus issues.

I have noticed that when I have worked in Phoenix, Salt Lake, Denver a majority of the people I work with have severe allergies and severe rhinitis and huge percentage of population has asthma.

Anecdotally from co-workers and roommates I would say a majority of Phoenix has severe hay fever. I am one of the few who doesn't. Seems that way in Salt Lake and Denver also where a majority of the population has severe sinus issues and horrible hay fever.

When ever I am in the Midwest, especially Nebraska which are very humid in the spring and summer I rarely hear complaints about hay fever and during a month in Florida I noticed it's very rare people have hay fever there compared to dry climates.

Sometimes I spend summers in Nebraska lately and people rarely sneeze and only one co-worker has ever complained of allergies out of a hundred or so I have worked with. People tend to cough very little in general.

I noticed the same thing in Florida, people rarely coughed or sneezed in public from that humidified, healthy air.

I have some digestive issues and try to eat a very healthy diet. I know when I go to Denver I have worrying stomach issues, nausea and have even had a syncope spell from that extremely dry air. I went to the hospital and they said I was extremely dehydrated despite drinking lots of water in Denver compared to a human climate.

Each time, I am in a high altitude city like Denver or Salt Lake I feel like I have a stomach flu and once I at a lower altitude I feel much better usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 08:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I have noticed that when I have worked in Phoenix, Salt Lake, Denver a majority of the people I work with have severe allergies and severe rhinitis and huge percentage of population has asthma.

Anecdotally from co-workers and roommates I would say a majority of Phoenix has severe hay fever. I am one of the few who doesn't. Seems that way in Salt Lake and Denver also where a majority of the population has severe sinus issues and horrible hay fever.

When ever I am in the Midwest, especially Nebraska which are very humid in the spring and summer I rarely hear complaints about hay fever and during a month in Florida I noticed it's very rare people have hay fever there compared to dry climates.

Sometimes I spend summers in Nebraska lately and people rarely sneeze and only one co-worker has ever complained of allergies out of a hundred or so I have worked with. People tend to cough very little in general.

I noticed the same thing in Florida, people rarely coughed or sneezed in public from that humidified, healthy air.

I have some digestive issues and try to eat a very healthy diet. I know when I go to Denver I have worrying stomach issues, nausea and have even had a syncope spell from that extremely dry air. I went to the hospital and they said I was extremely dehydrated despite drinking lots of water in Denver compared to a human climate.

Each time, I am in a high altitude city like Denver or Salt Lake I feel like I have a stomach flu and once I at a lower altitude I feel much better usually.
When you have frequent rain and humidity, no worries about how many people drive their air polluting cars around you and what that does to the air you breathe. Phoenix and LA are the top two cities for childhood asthma, studies showed that pregnant women living one mile of a freeway and 0.25 mile of a major arterial surface street had close to 50%+ child getting asthma (or close to, I'd have to dig to find the study again). Air quality is the biggest one. The east can be just as sprawled and have less negative health effects on the public in comparison. It's not fair but that's the way it is, one cannot control the climate.

People need to start taking air pollution more seriously. Before COVID, the WHO ranked air quality as the world's #1 public health problem globally. This was above obesity, heart disease, infectious disease...

Old 01-12-2021, 12:48 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Many people have hay fever in the Willamette Valley in Oregon so that blows your theory that humid air equates to less hay fever.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
The Denver dehydration thing is a mix of dry air, increased urine output, and unknowingly breathing harder from less oxygen in the air. I ski. It’s really amplified at 10,000 feet and you have to drink water constantly or you’ll get a splitting headache.

If you live in a humid climate, mold is everywhere and a lot of people are allergic. There are plenty of people with asthmatic symptoms who move to the desert and it goes away. A friend of mine from coastal Southern New England now lives in Corrales outside of Albuquerque because of it.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:13 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The Denver dehydration thing is a mix of dry air, increased urine output, and unknowingly breathing harder from less oxygen in the air. I ski. It’s really amplified at 10,000 feet and you have to drink water constantly or you’ll get a splitting headache.

If you live in a humid climate, mold is everywhere and a lot of people are allergic. There are plenty of people with asthmatic symptoms who move to the desert and it goes away. A friend of mine from coastal Southern New England now lives in Corrales outside of Albuquerque because of it.
I don't have hay fever. But I noticed in Albuquerque and Las Cruces many are sneezing machines, lots of people with dry coughs from the air pre-pandemic when ever I have been in New Mexico. I was at a coffee shop once in Las Cruces and so many were sneezing, I thought it was a cold initially but then many brought up the allergies there. I didn't have that there, but the air there was very dry and it was very, very windy.

About two years ago, I caught a terrible cold in Las Vegas from the dry air which seems to make one more likely to come down with a cold. I had to stay over in Barstow, California in the dry, dusty desert and it wasn't getting any better. I went to Costa Mesa and with-in a day my cold completely disappeared.

I worked in an open-air office in very humid Omaha area and also in very dry Phoenix. With the crystal clear, humid Omaha air my co-workers would sneeze less in a month than people in Phoenix would before 10am in the morning.

Salt Lake, Denver, Las Vegas it seems like half the population has the sniffles constantly also.

They have alot of very dry strong wind with pollen transported in that hot, dry wind hundreds of miles.

I am at a lower altitude now and just never feel good with that extremely low humidity, high elevation, low pressure in Colorado.

I think one has to be generally in good shape to reside in places like Leadville or some of the towns in Summit and Eagle County. Individuals get used to it if they are from there, but for me who is now used to 1,000 foot elevation I would be very exhausted from that altitude.

I know in Phoenix I usually feel decent, air pollution is extremely high but altitude is low.

In Denver between the humidity and altitude I tend to have nausea, dizzy, had syncope once and went to the hospital for tests. I don't have much of an appetite there either for some reason.

In Omaha area in the summer with the lush, ultra-clean air and the humidity I looked years younger in days, had so much more energy and the digestive issues went away the same day.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 01-12-2021 at 02:29 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 10:26 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I had many allergies in the Midwest but they usually went away when I travelled to the west on vacation but they came back by the time I was halfway through Kansas. I moved to the NM desert seven years ago where the humidity is commonly in single digits. After a while I developed new allergies. We don't have grass or mold but here there are two pollen sources that many people seem to develop allergies to: Juniper trees and desert shrubs like Sage and Saltbush. I have known people who have had to move because their Juniper allergy was too much. We also have dust or smoke in the air at times. I also live at 5300 ft. elevation. Some people do not acclimate to higher elevations very well and once they have a notable elevation episode they become a little more cautious.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
We are living organisms that require water/moisture. I personally have a really difficult time in dry climates.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:58 AM

331 posts, read 182,257 times
I've never spent a long period of time in a dry climate, but even here in Miami during cold fronts when the relative humidity might drop down around 40% with temps in the 60s and 70s, that's dry enough for me to feel the effects. My lips get cracked and burned instantly and my throat starts to hurt even if I only breathe through my nose. I would imagine if you add air pollution, a few thousand feet of elevation, and even drier and colder air to all that, most people would be very uncomfortable.

OP, you're welcome to join us down here. We have enough hot, humid air for everyone

Old 01-12-2021, 12:49 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
I agree with others that a lot of it has to do with air quality.
Many of those western cities that are notorious for air pollution are surrounded by mountains.
Florida's probably good because the air flows from one part of the ocean to the other.
We've almost always lived in humid climates, where the allergies can be just as bad only different.
I have a very difficult time with breathing in warm/hot humid air whereas dry air isn't as much of a problem as long as it's reasonably clean.
It's very much an individual thing as well as more specifics about the location.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:37 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I suppose it all depends on the individual. I've spent most of my life in the desert SW. I've dealt with constant dry chapped skin and sneezing episodes most mornings.
I visited east of the Mississippi and it was a welcome change. Within a couple of days, my dry chapped skin was healing and no more sneezing in the mornings. The moisture in the air felt so good to me and my sinuses no longer felt like dried rocks.

Everyone will be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.