Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:18 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,746,664 times

Advertisements

Well, what do you want in a beach?

Florida's beaches are nice, friendly, warm, and relaxing. It seems like the perfect place to spend time drinking margaritas and listening to Jimmy Buffet. California beaches are dramatic and inspiring, but cold (relatively speaking).
If you're looking for a beach with lots of swimming/snorkeling opportunities, Florida wins hands down. If you're looking for a place to sit back and read a Steinbeck novel, I'd vote for the central coast of CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 02:03 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,781,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
yeah those hurricanes....
Hurricane season is what, maybe 4 months of the year? Of there being a possibility? It's not like they're striking every week...

Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,430,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Hurricane season is what, maybe 4 months of the year? Of there being a possibility? It's not like they're striking every week...
try 6 months, June 1 - Nov 30. That's 1/2 the year of the possibility of hurricanes. And you say this after TX was just struck by a hurricane last week!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,894,022 times
Quote:
try 6 months, June 1 - Nov 30. That's 1/2 the year of the possibility of hurricanes. And you say this after TX was just struck by a hurricane last week!
I've been in Florida since October '05 and have not seen a hurricane yet.
::crosses fingers, knocks on wood::
Having said that, of course we all must be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. That's a trade-off I am willing to make because I really do enjoy swimming in the ocean. I agree with Widow that California's beaches are dramatic and inspiring, but I never last long in the water. It's just awfully chilly in the Pacific.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, the possibility.

The one that hit the other week wasn't felt by most of TX.

I've lived in the area a long time. Believe me, it's really not as much of an issue as you'd like to make it out to be.

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar Hurricane Strike Frequency

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, the possibility.

The one that hit the other week wasn't felt by most of TX.

I've lived in the area a long time. Believe me, it's really not as much of an issue as you'd like to make it out to be.

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar Hurricane Strike Frequency
Yes I said possibility, thanks for repeating that a 2nd time for some reason.... Yeah Dolly didn't hit most of TX, and I never claimed it did, but it did hit part of the state nonetheless. Most natural disasters don't affect an entire state when they are the size of CA or TX.

And how do I "make it out to be"? You're the one doing that and not me. All I said is that there were hurricanes and the season runs 6 months out of the year. Is anything I said there not true? I never said they strike every year and or anything like that and if you inferred that well that's your fault and not mine b/c I never said anything to suggest that. You apparently have some problem with me pointing out TX is prone to hurricanes, get over it b/c it's a fact.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yes I said possibility, thanks for repeating that a 2nd time for some reason.... Yeah Dolly didn't hit most of TX, and I never claimed it did, but it did hit part of the state nonetheless. Most natural disasters don't affect an entire state when they are the size of CA or TX.

And how do I "make it out to be"? You're the one doing that and not me. All I said is that there were hurricanes and the season runs 6 months out of the year. Is anything I said there not true? I never said they strike every year and or anything like that and if you inferred that well that's your fault and not mine b/c I never said anything to suggest that. You apparently have some problem with me pointing out TX is prone to hurricanes, get over it b/c it's a fact.
Let me point you to your original post, in which you pointed out hurricanes as the first thing.

Quote:
yeah those hurricanes, brownish water, and featureless beaches are SO much nicer.........
The entire Gulf and East coast has the possibility for hurricanes. Many parts of Florida and the East coast much more so than Texas as shown by that map... so why act like it's such a big deal and something only Texas contends with? That's all, you don't have to read into it so much...

Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,401,617 times
I'm just wondering... do East Coast/Gulf beaches have these blue tsunami signs or anything like it? We have them all over beach cities in CA.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Let me point you to your original post, in which you pointed out hurricanes as the first thing.

The entire Gulf and East coast has the possibility for hurricanes. Many parts of Florida and the East coast much more so than Texas as shown by that map... so why act like it's such a big deal and something only Texas contends with? That's all, you don't have to read into it so much...
How the hell am I acting like TX is the only one that deals with hurricanes? Hurricanes were already mentioned several times about the beaches in FL and it's well known they strike the entire east and gulf coasts. My original post was quoting a post about TX beaches being better than CA beaches. So b/c I am quoting a post about TX beaches that somehow means I am picking on TX as being the only state that get hurricanes???? Should I have placed a disclaimer reminding everyone that all east coast and gulf coast states are affected by them, not just TX? You're the one making it out to be a big deal in your head, not me. All I said is one word, "hurricanes". The only thing I am reading here is you getting all defensive b/c I mentioned ONE word, "hurricanes" which you just read wayyyy too much into and you keep trying to pull whatever crap of your a*s to try to make it sound like I was making a big deal of them, when I keep repeating that I was not and was only mentioning them. I seriously cannot believe how defensive you are getting about one little freakin word and all the "meanings" you pulled out of it.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
My original post was quoting a post about TX beaches being better than CA beaches. So b/c I am quoting a post about TX beaches that somehow means I am picking on TX as being the only state that get hurricanes????
Under other circumstances, it wouldn't be weird that you brought up TX having hurricanes compared to CA not having them. Except that you said elsewhere you wanted to move to south FL (where there are more hurricanes than just about anywhere in the US)...

You said a nasty thing about TX beaches, that was kind of uncalled for (and in my opinion, exaggerated)... don't be surprised to get a few replies not agreeing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.