U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,645,348 times

Advertisements

Which states do y'all think are the most similar to each state, that they do not share a land border with? I'm talking over all in both geography and culture.

Here's my list

Alabama- Arkansas
Alaska- Montana
Arizona- Texas
Arkansas- Kentucky
California- Hawaii (though I also think Florida is a good choice, cuz beaches, palms and Disney)
Colorado- Oregon
Connecticut- Delaware
Delaware- Rhode Island
Florida- South Carolina
Georgia- Texas (I know its a stretch, but I feel Dallas and Atlanta are very similar in many ways)
Hawaii- California
Idaho- Vermont
Illinois- Ohio
Indiana- Wisconsin
Iowa- Indiana
Kansas- Texas
Kentucky- Arkansas
Louisiana- South Carolina
Maine- Minnesota
Maryland- Massachusetts
Massachusetts- Maryland
Michigan- Minnesota
Minnesota- Michigan
Mississippi- Georgia
Missouri- Ohio
Montana- Utah
Nebraska- Texas
Nevada- New Mexico
New Hampshire- Pennsylvania
New Jersey- Rhode Island
New Mexico- Nevada
New York- Maryland
North Carolina- Maryland
North Dakota- Nebraska
Ohio- Illinois
Oklahoma- South Dakota
Tennessee- West Virginia
Texas- Nebraska (hard one to choose, though. I feel Omaha can be compared to Dallas, though)
Utah- Montana
Vermont- Wisconsin
Virginia- Pennsylvania
Washington- Maine
West Virginia- Tennessee
Wisconsin- Indiana
Wyoming- Nevada (just without Vegas and Reno)

I wanna hear y'alls opinions and why. Some of these I found hard to really decide for, like Texas. I picked Nebraska cuz I feel it covers it for much of the scenery, somewhat of the culture and has at least a good sized city. But I can see how other people might pick other states for that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 PM

18,429 posts, read 4,497,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Which states do y'all think are the most similar to each state, that they do not share a land border with? I'm talking over all in both geography and culture.

Here's my list

Alabama- Arkansas
Alaska- Montana
Arizona- Texas
Arkansas- Kentucky
California- Hawaii (though I also think Florida is a good choice, cuz beaches, palms and Disney)
Colorado- Oregon
Connecticut- Delaware
Delaware- Rhode Island
Florida- South Carolina
Georgia- Texas (I know its a stretch, but I feel Dallas and Atlanta are very similar in many ways)
Hawaii- California
Idaho- Vermont
Illinois- Ohio
Indiana- Wisconsin
Iowa- Indiana
Kansas- Texas
Kentucky- Arkansas
Louisiana- South Carolina
Maine- Minnesota
Maryland- Massachusetts
Massachusetts- Maryland
Michigan- Minnesota
Minnesota- Michigan
Mississippi- Georgia
Missouri- Ohio
Montana- Utah
Nebraska- Texas
Nevada- New Mexico
New Hampshire- Pennsylvania
New Jersey- Rhode Island
New Mexico- Nevada
New York- Maryland
North Carolina- Maryland
North Dakota- Nebraska
Ohio- Illinois
Oklahoma- South Dakota
Tennessee- West Virginia
Texas- Nebraska (hard one to choose, though. I feel Omaha can be compared to Dallas, though)
Utah- Montana
Vermont- Wisconsin
Virginia- Pennsylvania
Washington- Maine
West Virginia- Tennessee
Wisconsin- Indiana
Wyoming- Nevada (just without Vegas and Reno)

I wanna hear y'alls opinions and why. Some of these I found hard to really decide for, like Texas. I picked Nebraska cuz I feel it covers it for much of the scenery, somewhat of the culture and has at least a good sized city. But I can see how other people might pick other states for that one.
I think the part of Texas most like Arizona in terms of geography,people, and culture is Far West Texas especially around El Paso.I think Texas and Arizona culture is different for the most part.They both have large Spanish-speaking populations but Texas has very few Native Americans.Near West Texas around Midland,Odessa,Abilene, and San Angelo looks sort of like desert but is not true desert.Texas is generally more religious than Arizona.Texas is considered part of the Bible Part.Both are generally conservative states politically.I would agree with the Texas-Georgia comparison at least for East Texas.Arizona has lots of mountains I think but Texas only has them in the Far West.I think Texas could have some Midwestern influence in the Panhandle and North Texas.Texas and Arizona both seem to have that pioneer spirit to me.

Last edited by C24L; 02-04-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think the part of Texas most like Arizona in terms of geography,people, and culture is Far West Texas especially around El Paso.I think Texas and Arizona culture is different for the most part.They both have large Spanish-speaking populations but Texas has very few Native Americans.Near West Texas around Midland,Odessa,Abilene, and San Angelo looks sort of like desert but is not true desert.Texas is generally more religious than Arizona.Texas is considered part of the Bible Part.Both are generally conservative states politically.I would agree with the Texas-Georgia comparison at least for East Texas.Arizona has lots of mountains I think but Texas only has them in the Far West.I think Texas could have some Midwestern influence in the Panhandle and North Texas.Texas and Arizona both seem to have that pioneer spirit to me.

Thats why I put Arizona as being similar to Texas but not Texas being as similar to Arizona. I personally can't think of a more similar non-neighbouring state for Arizona. They have both have desert scenery even though its only a smaller portion of Texas (though a small chunk of Texas is still a LOT of land!), they both border Mexico and have that Mexican-American population and Mexican influence. They both have large canyons as well, shrubby vegetation (even if Texas sadly does not have saguaros, it still has plenty of cacti) and they're both pretty conservative states. Btw I saw a roadrunner in my city a few weeks ago!

I do agree about north and northwest Texas having Midwest influences, at least Great Plains Midwest influences (Kansas, Nebraska) and much of Texas is pretty wide, open and flat except the areas close to the western, eastern and southern borders. Texas is a really hard one to pin down because its the convergence of so many geographic ecosystems. The western deserts, the central plains, the southeastern woodlands and then its own things like the hill country that are distinctly Texan.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 PM

4,443 posts, read 3,691,118 times
I like the GA-TX comparison. At least for the more eastern parts of the state. The piney woods of east Texas are very similar in terms of flora-fauna to GA (and the rest of the southeast really). Culturally as well the rural areas compare well. Both states have the larger cities with typical sunbelt style growth. DFW is definitely larger than Atlanta but has two major cities. Houston is a little larger than Atlanta (though Houston has been pulling away slightly according the 2015 estimate). Both states have those larger cities that are also quite different from the rural areas in terms of demographics and ideologies.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 PM

18,429 posts, read 4,497,321 times
Quote:
Thats why I put Arizona as being similar to Texas but not Texas being as similar to Arizona. I personally can't think of a more similar non-neighbouring state for Arizona. They have both have desert scenery even though its only a smaller portion of Texas (though a small chunk of Texas is still a LOT of land!), they both border Mexico and have that Mexican-American population and Mexican influence. They both have large canyons as well, shrubby vegetation (even if Texas sadly does not have saguaros, it still has plenty of cacti) and they're both pretty conservative states. Btw I saw a roadrunner in my city a few weeks ago!

I do agree about north and northwest Texas having Midwest influences, at least Great Plains Midwest influences (Kansas, Nebraska) and much of Texas is pretty wide, open and flat except the areas close to the western, eastern and southern borders. Texas is a really hard one to pin down because its the convergence of so many geographic ecosystems. The western deserts, the central plains, the southeastern woodlands and then its own things like the hill country that are distinctly Texan.
True....you are right that Texas has elements of so many different regions.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:03 PM

30,676 posts, read 28,412,163 times
South Carolina - Alabama

Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I like the GA-TX comparison. At least for the more eastern parts of the state. The piney woods of east Texas are very similar in terms of flora-fauna to GA (and the rest of the southeast really). Culturally as well the rural areas compare well. Both states have the larger cities with typical sunbelt style growth. DFW is definitely larger than Atlanta but has two major cities. Houston is a little larger than Atlanta (though Houston has been pulling away slightly according the 2015 estimate). Both states have those larger cities that are also quite different from the rural areas in terms of demographics and ideologies.

I think another similarity, is both states are like head to head about who has the best pecan pie! I dunno which one does, but I'd be happy to play judge

Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
South Carolina - Alabama
Oh crap, I just realised I skipped a few states, including SC! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! (even if not intentional)

Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Damn, sorry guys. I just realised I skipped over a bunch of states accidentally:

Oregon- Maine
Pennsylvania- Massachusetts
Rhode Island- Delaware
South Carolina- Florida
South Dakota- Idaho

I dunno how I skipped them. I was going off a list.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:43 PM

88,010 posts, read 104,255,353 times
Quote:
Damn, sorry guys. I just realised I skipped over a bunch of states accidentally:

Oregon- Maine
Pennsylvania- Massachusetts
Rhode Island- Delaware
South Carolina- Florida
South Dakota- Idaho

I dunno how I skipped them. I was going off a list.
You already have Oregon paired up with Colorado, which I disagree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or