Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In Chicago, there are times when the whole city smells like ass. It's especially bad in the summers, but sometimes it happens in the winter too.
Where you around Clark & Broadway ?

Quote:
Are you sure that it's not the onions that gave the city its name? (There are so many variations on the origin of "Chicago.")
During a culture bus ride as a kid I learned that the Indian translation
for "Chicago" literally meant "wild ass "

Quote:
Seattle-

The aggressive panhandling from the homeless is getting out of hand. They all hang out in the most touristy areas where the cruise ships dock during the summer, and it gives a bad first impression of the city.
I have seen them at off ramps too.
Mild weather ( free showers ) and an indifferent liberal city tolerates it.
Perhaps we could give them new blazers ( from a real estate co. )
and let ELF take them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
A lot of people are unaware that Bozeman recieves 100 inches of snow per year, since surrounding communities average only half that.

A lot of people are also surprised when it snows in May.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Another example is in San Diego, where planes often look like they're flying dangerously close to the top of buildings downtown due to the proximity of the airport to the city center.
Nothing unpleasant about that... perhaps a bit shocking to some at first, but it's absolutely awesome!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Phoenix-- there is so much light pollution you can't even see the stars at night, even though the SW desert region as a whole would naturally have some of the best stargazing in the world. Also, even though everybody knows Phoenix is in a hot desert, they may not know that even at night in the summer it stays incredibly hot due to the urban heat island. Normally deserts cool down dramatically at night and there are huge temperature swings between day and night-- but not Phoenix.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
Where I used to live--DC area:
Main thing you need to know about living there is you can't just jump in your car and drive to wherever your heart's desire. For instance, if you decide you'd like to drive downtown, you have to think what is the traffic going to be like at this time of day? Will I be able to find parking? Is it better to take Metro? Once you understand the traffic flows around town, you learn where you can go at what time of day and how you can get there.

Traffic is such a big issue in DC that it is always a topic of conversation at a DC party. For instance, you meet someone for the first time, chat, find out where they live and where they work, then inevitably the next question is, "What's your commute like?"
Yeah, I have to agree with traffic for DC. I don't think it's as bad as LA (I never understood just how bad LA's traffic problem was until I actually went, blows away any city I've been to nationally or internationally), but it's pretty bad.

I guess I have to be thankful that the city doesn't smell like ass. I imagine it would be horrible to be stuck in traffic on a hot humid day with ass in your face.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM

7 posts, read 16,518 times
New York--This probably goes for most large urban areas in the U.S., but I can't stand being surrounded by so many people who are trying so hard to look cool. Seems like Manhattan has been taken over by overgrown teenagers who must spend at least 3 hours getting ready before they leave the house. At the end of the day, I'm happy that I can go back to my un-trendy Brooklyn neighborhood where everyone is content to be a slob.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Moleman View Post
New York--This probably goes for most large urban areas in the U.S., but I can't stand being surrounded by so many people who are trying so hard to look cool. Seems like Manhattan has been taken over by overgrown teenagers who must spend at least 3 hours getting ready before they leave the house. At the end of the day, I'm happy that I can go back to my un-trendy Brooklyn neighborhood where everyone is content to be a slob.
That's the big cities it seems^
I think another term they're trying to imitate would be 'cosmopolitan'...
but country boy don't play that

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 AM

266 posts, read 911,495 times
I would also add to my above post that so many people move to places like Albuquerque, Las Vegas and Phoenix to get away from the humidity and overcast days. No one likes extreme humidity, but I personally don't completely like the dryness. Oddly, I appreciate the dryness the most in the winter because you don't get the bone-chilling wet cold. But my hands are constantly chapped in the winter and nothing helps, not even Aquaphor. (This is probably less of a problem for young people, but I'm in my early 40s and skin gets drier as you get older.) Although, the summer evenings generally have pleasant temperatures around here, I miss the warm, humid summer nights that have that beachy tropical feel.

I LOVE the sunny days in the Southwest, but the sun feels so strong sometime, like you're under a glaring spotlight. Believe it or not, after awhile, you welcome a cloudy day!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
Oddly, I appreciate the dryness the most in the winter because you don't get the bone-chilling wet cold. But my hands are constantly chapped in the winter and nothing helps, not even Aquaphor. (This is probably less of a problem for young people, but I'm in my early 40s and skin gets drier as you get older.)
Make sure you're drinking enough water,dehydration is the reason for dry skin.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's the big cities it seems^
I think another term they're trying to imitate would be 'cosmopolitan'...
but country boy don't play that
Hey! I'm a bumpkin, but I'm a pretty-boy too who can't leave the home without gelling his hair into just the perfect alignment! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.