Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 66,865 times

Advertisements

So I posted here before. A lot of circumstances have changed and now I am looking at 3 cities mainly: Seattle, LA (or SD), and San Jose

I am going to be going to community college and be looking for a job in the service industry. I really want a big city feel. Or at least a feeling of being able to walk out of your house and walking to wherever you want to go.

So just tell me a little about what you think is best for each category:

Nightlife
Walkability
Food
Culture
Big City Feeling
Activities to do
Weather

I should be able to live near center city or downtown areas in each city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
What is your expected budget? How much do you have saved up? Would you be able to get in-state tuition in any of these locations? I think you'll have ample opportunities to have a "city experience" in any of the listed cities. The biggest question is how are you planning to afford it? It isn't likely that you'll be able to afford a walkable, urban neighborhood apartment with a minimum wage job. In the case of Seattle, it'll run you around $1,500-2,000 to rent in a walkable neighborhood.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
What is your expected budget? How much do you have saved up? Would you be able to get in-state tuition in any of these locations? I think you'll have ample opportunities to have a "city experience" in any of the listed cities. The biggest question is how are you planning to afford it? It isn't likely that you'll be able to afford a walkable, urban neighborhood apartment with a minimum wage job. In the case of Seattle, it'll run you around $1,500-2,000 to rent in a walkable neighborhood.
I have a certain scholarship that provides a housing allowance and paid schooling. My budget is really just what I would need for groceries for the month and everything. I have a pretty decent amount saved up. Nothing crazy but enough for the beginning

I plan on working in whatever city is picked.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:25 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
Well Seattle Community College is in the Capitol Hill neighborhood which is one of Seattle's most liveliest neighborhoods. It's full of restaurants, bars, cafes, shops, and is served by an underground light rail station, multiple bus lines, and a streetcar. A perfect hood if you want an urban, walkable experience.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Though a ton of LA people will likely disagree, the city is still not really walkable. Yes, they have increased transit, but not enough to not need a car, or spend a bunch on Uber. All the cities you mentioned are expensive. Weather is obviously better in California. Seattle is more artsy, bookwormy, but also offers nightlife, but not to the extent of LA. People are generally more passive-aggressive in Seattle, and just plain aggressive in LA. San Diego and San Jose probably somewhere in between. IMO.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
I think LA is great. Not sure it's considered walkable. What happened to Phoenix?

Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think LA is great. Not sure it's considered walkable. What happened to Phoenix?
I know it isn't walkable, I can use my car. I feel like Phoenix was a knee jerk decision at the time. Due to new circumstances I can pick a bit more freely, since I will not have to go for the absolute lowest cost of living.

Right now ai am just struggling with 3 things

I would like to lean towards Seattle more but Im concerned about how much it will rain and the apparent "Seattle Freeze" and difficulties integrating into or simply having a small social life. Also that it seems to be away from a lot.

LA seems really cool. I have found some apartments downtown that seem to have a good location for LACC, but I know the public transit is bad and I know I would need my car which adds more (gas, insurance)

Also hear Portland is really great.

I really should visit some but the move will be soon

Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
I am going to be going to community college and be looking for a job in the service industry. I really want a big city feel. Or at least a feeling of being able to walk out of your house and walking to wherever you want to go.
LA probably wins given your criteria list, but definitely not here.

I've never been to Portland, but a lot of Seattle can be pretty walkabale.

What narrowed you down to these three cities though? If you're looking to live without a car, it would be much easier in a Northeastern city, Chicago, or SF.
But if you're dead set on these three, then I'd go with Seattle on walkability, but LA overall.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:56 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
I know it isn't walkable, I can use my car. I feel like Phoenix was a knee jerk decision at the time. Due to new circumstances I can pick a bit more freely, since I will not have to go for the absolute lowest cost of living.

Right now ai am just struggling with 3 things

I would like to lean towards Seattle more but Im concerned about how much it will rain and the apparent "Seattle Freeze" and difficulties integrating into or simply having a small social life. Also that it seems to be away from a lot.

LA seems really cool. I have found some apartments downtown that seem to have a good location for LACC, but I know the public transit is bad and I know I would need my car which adds more (gas, insurance)

Also hear Portland is really great.

I really should visit some but the move will be soon
You said you would work in a restaurant or something right? You don't have to worry about the freeze. Most restaurant workers are social as hell.

Money no object? These three would be in my top 5

And yes, you should visit somehow. You may end up hating it.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
LA probably wins given your criteria list, but definitely not here.

I've never been to Portland, but a lot of Seattle can be pretty walkabale.

What narrowed you down to these three cities though? If you're looking to live without a car, it would be much easier in a Northeastern city, Chicago, or SF.
But if you're dead set on these three, then I'd go with Seattle on walkability, but LA overall.
Im from the NE, and I really don't want to be around here due to personal reasons really. Im early to mid 20s and i just felt like my whole life has always been around here.

Ive been to LA, really liked it, and I was more along Hollywood I believe. By Thai town.

Portland and Seattle are mainly just for what people have lauded about them. I just cant seem to get that rain out of my head. It qould be def nice to visit there before I go because it seems everything that I want can be had there.

Although, like I said. I have been to LA, saw a bit there and really enjoyed it. Not sure how the summer is but the winter last year had great weather. It has all types of food which is a plus and a seemingly vibrant nightlife. Plus the possibility to meet a lot of people while going to school/working.

A question of mine would be: What downtown is worth the move?

I saw that Seattle's CC is close to their downtown district. Does Seattle have a big city feel?

Portland I really dont know much about but I know its walkable.

LA downtown seems nice and it is around a lot of things I like.

I should have enough money for downtown in all 3 which seems closest to the schools (important for me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.