Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,618 times

Advertisements

Every major city must have those areas or places where a lot of people fresh out of college and just a lot of people in their 20s in general would want to move to.

These people are done with college but at the same time, unlike small town or suburban people, they aren't really that big on getting married and starting a family right off the bat either. They're in their 20s and some in their early 30s, they're caught in that funny middle ground to where you can't say if they're old or young.

If you have areas of big cities loaded with people in this phase of life, how is life like in these areas?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:02 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
They live in their parents basements or move to another city unless they have a high paying career in the tech or medical fields. Our economy isn't the best.

The old hipster neighborhoods have been revitalized so will they need a large deposit and $300,000+ to put down on home. They may be able to find something for $200,000+ in a lesser trendy neighborhood. Rent for a 1br in the trendy areas will be well over $1100. Most settle for a rental or purchase in the sketchy borderline neighborhoods that they hope with gentrify.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:47 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
New Orleans neighborhoods are pretty well mixed. You have areas like the CBD and Warehouse District that have yuppies and older people as well, neighborhoods like the Marigny, Bywater, LGD, Milan, Freret, and Touro have lots of young people.
Everyone parties here for the most part and life is like how you'd imagine young people to live. Lot's of dogs, scooters, tapas, craft beer, political awareness, fixies, and coffee shops.
Same with First Hill in Seattle.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:11 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Hey. I'm a recent grad that lives in one of those areas. I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and I hang out mostly around here and Bushwick area.

It's basically like an extension of college but people have more money. Nightlife is really great, some of the best in the whole city. It's really easy to meet people and make friends. Sometimes it can feel like you're living on a college campus, or smaller town within a city if you frequent the same bars/areas too much. I get this feeling not so much in Williamsburg, but often in Bushwick. I can think of a few bars in particular where I can go pretty much any night if the week and run into a bunch of people I know or at least can recognize. There's also tons of wild house parties and warehouse parties that often go all night into the next afternoon. I went to a 36-hour party one time in Bushwick. It was fun to be able to leave the party, go home, get some sleep, food, etc. and then go back and rejoin the same party the next day.

These types of areas are usually viewed as more "hip/cool/trendy" (sorry for using those words) and therefore are also usually not the cheapest. I wouldn't live in these areas unless you were big on partying or nightlife since that is one of the main attractions of these types of neighborhoods and the reason why they're usually filled with mostly young people. People party hard and late, until 4am or sometimes later. If you're not into that kinda stuff then you could probably live somewhere cheaper, at least in NYC. Maybe these types of neighborhoods are more affordable in other cities.

As far as the crowd: people are usually early to mid 20s, sometimes early 30s. Young, love to party and have fun, lots of creative/artistic types, and lots of LGBT and hipsters. There's also a lot of transplants, which many NYers love to look down on, but I like meeting people from different backgrounds. Anyways, I love it and I wanna spend the rest of my youth in places like this.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Hey. I'm a recent grad that lives in one of those areas. I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and I hang out mostly around here and Bushwick area.

It's basically like an extension of college but people have more money. Nightlife is really great, some of the best in the whole city. It's really easy to meet people and make friends. Sometimes it can feel like you're living on a college campus, or smaller town within a city if you frequent the same bars/areas too much. I get this feeling not so much in Williamsburg, but often in Bushwick. I can think of a few bars in particular where I can go pretty much any night if the week and run into a bunch of people I know or at least can recognize. There's also tons of wild house parties and warehouse parties that often go all night into the next afternoon. I went to a 36-hour party one time in Bushwick. It was fun to be able to leave the party, go home, get some sleep, food, etc. and then go back and rejoin the same party the next day.

These types of areas are usually viewed as more "hip/cool/trendy" (sorry for using those words) and therefore are also usually not the cheapest. I wouldn't live in these areas unless you were big on partying or nightlife since that is one of the main attractions of these types of neighborhoods and the reason why they're usually filled with mostly young people. People party hard and late, until 4am or sometimes later. If you're not into that kinda stuff then you could probably live somewhere cheaper, at least in NYC. Maybe these types of neighborhoods are more affordable in other cities.

As far as the crowd: people are usually early to mid 20s, sometimes early 30s. Young, love to party and have fun, lots of creative/artistic types, and lots of LGBT and hipsters. There's also a lot of transplants, which many NYers love to look down on, but I like meeting people from different backgrounds. Anyways, I love it and I wanna spend the rest of my youth in places like this.
your entire post gave me a post grad orgasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.