Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,078,206 times

Advertisements

I feel like the Northeast does extend visually and arguably in other ways across the country. What I mean is that you can be in states not in the Northeast but still see many Northeastern elements in areas not considered Northeastern by anyone.

To me I find this in places like:
Cincinnati: Arguably as visually close to Pennsylvania as Ohio can get in a city environment. From the topography to the architecture, the Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky area has that Pennsylvania look that isn't associated with the Midwest.

South Side of Chicago: it has that gritty Rust Belt look with abandoned steel mills, plus the Calumet region has a Jerseyish character wherein forested areas can border industrialized areas and all can occupy the same area at once. Northwest Indiana (greater Chicago) has a look similar to South Jersey around Philly. Industrial Indiana in general has some Jersey traits in and of itself. On the Illinois side, you've got places like the South suburbs of Chicago that are very much like South Jersey suburbs of Philly. And in Indiana, Gary and East Chicago are eerily like Camden.

St. Louis: the rowhouses, and elevation changes outside of the city remind me of Philly and its piedmont fall line. The climate can also have a landlocked Mid-Atlantic feel with very hot summers and not so cold winters.

Michigan: This one is like Upstate New York without the mountains. It has that very forested "Northwoods" type feel juxtaposed with industry.

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 AM

93,786 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Cleveland/NE Ohio.......?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cleveland/NE Ohio.......?
Not super familiar with it but I do hear that a lot. Makes sense considering it was once part of New England.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,075,666 times
On the West Coast, San Francisco is by far the most Northeastern feeling. The city was mostly founded by New England Yankees who took the long way around before the Panama Canal. Some of the older vernacular architecture is thus very similar to Boston. The city historically had its own localized accent which was New England influenced, but it has faded over time. And of course it's dense and walkable in its core in a way that no other city west of the Rockies is.

In terms of areas you haven't mentioned, while a small city today, Galena, IL looks very much like a Mid-Atlantic borough. There's even some rowhouses on the back streets.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On the West Coast, San Francisco is by far the most Northeastern feeling. The city was mostly founded by New England Yankees who took the long way around before the Panama Canal. Some of the older vernacular architecture is thus very similar to Boston. The city historically had its own localized accent which was New England influenced, but it has faded over time. And of course it's dense and walkable in its core in a way that no other city west of the Rockies is.

In terms of areas you haven't mentioned, while a small city today, Galena, IL looks very much like a Mid-Atlantic borough. There's even some rowhouses on the back streets.
I have definitely seen the New England connection to the West Coast. It makes a lot of sense that a lot of California has elements of many Northeast locales.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 02-21-2017 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,729,746 times
Maryland.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM

9,476 posts, read 10,832,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel like the Northeast does extend visually and arguably in other ways across the country. What I mean is that you can be in states not in the Northeast but still see many Northeastern elements in areas not considered Northeastern by anyone.

To me I find this in places like:
Cincinnati: Arguably as visually close to Pennsylvania as Ohio can get in a city environment. From the topography to the architecture, the Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky area has that Pennsylvania look that isn't associated with the Midwest.

South Side of Chicago: it has that gritty Rust Belt look with abandoned steel mills, plus the Calumet region has a Jerseyish character wherein forested areas can border industrialized areas and all can occupy the same area at once. Northwest Indiana (greater Chicago) has a look similar to South Jersey around Philly. Industrial Indiana in general has some Jersey traits in and of itself. On the Illinois side, you've got places like the South suburbs of Chicago that are very much like South Jersey suburbs of Philly. And in Indiana, Gary and East Chicago are eerily like Camden.

St. Louis: the rowhouses, and elevation changes outside of the city remind me of Philly and its piedmont fall line. The climate can also have a landlocked Mid-Atlantic feel with very hot summers and not so cold winters.

Michigan: This one is like Upstate New York without the mountains. It has that very forested "Northwoods" type feel juxtaposed with industry.

Any others?
Actually the north woods of the Midwest is not just Michigan, add to it is Wisconsin and Minnesota. ( northern half of these three states). These areas do look somewhat like upper New York and northern New England, especially Maine. However the upper Midwest is quite different culturally, it is far more German and Scandinavian than is the north woods of the northeast states. The accent is also quite different. Climate wise the Midwest is much colder in the winter, the average new englander would find Minnesota or Michigan to be quite brutal in he weather category.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually the north woods of the Midwest is not just Michigan, add to it is Wisconsin and Minnesota. ( northern half of these three states). These areas do look somewhat like upper New York and northern New England, especially Maine. However the upper Midwest is quite different culturally, it is far more German and Scandinavian than is the north woods of the northeast states. The accent is also quite different. Climate wise the Midwest is much colder in the winter, the average new englander would find Minnesota or Michigan to be quite brutal in he weather category.
Yeah I meant more by looks than anything else. I also made sure to specify that specifically is more like Upstate New York than it is like New England. That said Northern Michigan in the Lower Peninsula is not as Scandinavian as the UP. In Michigan's LP the English element dating back to the early days is still there.

Visually I can't comment on Minnesota as I am not super familiar with the state and the same goes for Wisconsin since most of what I know in Wisconsin is the very unique driftless area. That area doesn't really remind me of anywhere. I certainly don't believe Northwoods in and of itself is reminiscent of the Northeast but rather the combo of forested area with rolling hills and dying industry PLUS higher density areas. Certainly types of forest weren't the only thing that made me choose Michigan over WI and MN

Old 02-21-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Maryland.
haha

Old 02-21-2017, 11:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Not that familiar with the Midwest, but couldn't the same be said for rural Wisconsin at least as much? The rolling hills with farmland in Wisconsin look a bit like upstate NY but the hills aren't as big and the towns don't feel as old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.