Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

a lot of it is wind and geography.

San Fran gets the breezes blowing in from the ocean and not a lot of heavy industry.

Chicago has wind blowing in off the lake, or in the summer it blows in from the west with nothing to stop it. Everything just blows away. Also a great deal of public transit usage.

Minneapolis doesn't have a lot of industry, and it's a fairly windy city.

Boston is probalby the lack of heavy industry, the fact it is on average more windy than Chicago (which is the windy city, even though it's nowhere near the top US city as far as wind), and tends to have a higher usage of public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times
-7 Pittsburgh is often ranked right up there with LA
The wind brings it in from other areas.
American Lung Association:*SOTA05 Best and Worst Citites (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota05_cities.html - broken link)

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
I'd give Baton Rouge a 4.5-5 (10 being good in my ranking). We have ozone issues, but not nearly as bad as say Houston. We also have Exxon-Mobil in our back yard which doesn't help and they mainly contribute to said ozone issues. More times than not our AQ isn't as bad as I'm sure it could be.
Oh, I forgot, sugarcane harvest season. Now I give BTR a 3. (but only during the harvest season)

Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA: 4

Last summer during one of my runs the smog was so bad that I coughed my Propel back up all over the roadway. There have been many times where we can't utilize our rear patio in the summer due to the diesel exhaust fumes from the adjacent freeway. I worry all the time about developing asthma. Being so near to the BosWash Corridor has its advantages, but air quality is certainly not one of them.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,475 times
Tri-Cities, WA is normally clean. Wind often keeps smog away. But its a valley, and as a developing metro on stagnant days it gets dirty and after a couple weeks it can start to resemble LA! Also there are forest fires in the summer but overall its a 7-8, on stagnant days a 4 and forest fire days a 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.