Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 41,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Southern Illinois. Sometimes called mid-south, perhaps a better term.
Also, why Virginia over Maryland for Mid-Atlantic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 PM

626 posts, read 381,053 times
North: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts
Mid-Atlantic: Maryland, Pennsylvania, rest are meh
South: North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia
Midwest: Illinois, Ohio... Michigan?
West: i have no idea haha

Old 03-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
I'll do 4 for each category

Northeast, South, West, Midwest

NE - New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts
Cities: NYC, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Boston

S - Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina
Cities: Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta

MW - Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee
Cities: Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, St. Louis

W - California, Arizona, Washington, Colorado
Cities: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix

Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo Sanantonio View Post
Also, why Virginia over Maryland for Mid-Atlantic?
I think Virginia over Maryland for two important reasons, and one less important reason. The less important is the Virginia coast covers more area than Maryland. The more important reasons are 1) Virginia is a larger State in population and land area and has more large metro areas, excluding the DC suburbs. 2) Virginia is more important to DC than Maryland, with more suburban population, more suburban development, Reagan National Airport, Dulles International Airport, The Pentagon, and a general feel that is it an important part of the Capitol.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
Whoops, Tennessee is South so switch it with Minnesota.

Also the West should be switched in my list (not the cities but states) to CA, WA, AZ, CO. Didn't realize how massive WA's economy is.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
I'm going by the official Census Bureau designations for regions of the United States.

Northeast:

States - New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Cities - New York City, Boston, Philadelphia

South:

States - Texas, Florida, North Carolina

Cities - Atlanta, Houston, Miami

Midwest:

States - Ohio, Illinois, Michigan

Cities - Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul

West:

States - California, Washington, Colorado

Cities - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle

I have excluded Washington, DC from this list because it is the nation's capital and not within a state, but I believe it is above Atlanta and the other cities in the South in terms of significance

I weighed how populous a state is, how productive it is in terms of economy, and how balanced it is in terms of the entire state being significant and not just reliant on one city or area to prop it up. That is why I left off states such as Georgia and Massachusetts and put Illinois behind Ohio along with including Colorado but leaving out Arizona.

Colorado and Arizona were somewhat hard to decide, but Arizona just lags too far behind in terms of economy and productivity even though it is bigger in population. I feel both states are about even in terms of significance throughout each state. Arizona relies heavily on Phoenix to prop it up, but it does have Tucson along with places and attractions like Sedona and the Grand Canyon located in other parts of the state to provide some balance. Colorado is the same in that it relies on Denver to prop it up, but it has Colorado Springs along with places like Aspen and the rest of the Rocky Mountain towns to help balance it out.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM

16 posts, read 10,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I'm going by the official Census Bureau designations for regions of the United States.

Northeast:

States - New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Cities - New York City, Boston, Philadelphia

South:

States - Texas, Florida, North Carolina

Cities - Atlanta, Houston, Miami

Midwest:

States - Ohio, Illinois, Michigan

Cities - Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul

West:

States - California, Washington, Colorado

Cities - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle

I have excluded Washington, DC from this list because it is the nation's capital and not within a state, but I believe it is above Atlanta and the other cities in the South in terms of significance

I weighed how populous a state is, how productive it is in terms of economy, and how balanced it is in terms of the entire state being significant and not just reliant on one city or area to prop it up. That is why I left off states such as Georgia and Massachusetts and put Illinois behind Ohio along with including Colorado but leaving out Arizona.

Colorado and Arizona were somewhat hard to decide, but Arizona just lags too far behind in terms of economy and productivity even though it is bigger in population. I feel both states are about even in terms of significance throughout each state. Arizona relies heavily on Phoenix to prop it up, but it does have Tucson along with places and attractions like Sedona and the Grand Canyon located in other parts of the state to provide some balance. Colorado is the same in that it relies on Denver to prop it up, but it has Colorado Springs along with places like Aspen and the rest of the Rocky Mountain towns to help balance it out.
I'd replace New Jersey with Massachusetts. New Jersey may have a larger population and GDP, but the entire state is basically one big bedroom community. Mass stands on its own far more and has an elite city in Boston that NJ lacks.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
No way is Atlanta more important than Dallas, either in city limits or in metro. It is small and less productive, economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.