Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 16,394 times

Advertisements

after i finish 2 years assoc. i would like to move to cali or nyc and maybe open up a vietnamese or simple restuarant...where in california or nyc can i...
1. surf
2.inexpensive rent from $500-1200
3. where do asians and communtities located and live?
4. where can i live thats near the busy night life, and tourists hot spots, and daily day activities, close to almost everything?
5. comparing both states where do you think most likely i will be more successful in the restaurant buisness?
6. COLLEGES- or where can i further my studies in restaurant management and culinary arts? what are the good colleges and where?
planning ahead need your input... thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,328,156 times
I'm thinking that CA will be you choice. Highly doubt you can find the rent prices you desire in NYC and I know you can surf in CA.

Oregon might be another option, there is a culinary institute there

Old 12-03-2006, 10:03 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,153,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster86 View Post
after i finish 2 years assoc. i would like to move to cali or nyc and maybe open up a vietnamese or simple restuarant...where in california or nyc can i...
1. surf
2.inexpensive rent from $500-1200
3. where do asians and communtities located and live?
4. where can i live thats near the busy night life, and tourists hot spots, and daily day activities, close to almost everything?
5. comparing both states where do you think most likely i will be more successful in the restaurant buisness?
6. COLLEGES- or where can i further my studies in restaurant management and culinary arts? what are the good colleges and where?
planning ahead need your input... thank you!
In regard to NYC:
1. People do surf in the NY/NJ area, but it is unusual and very different from west coast surfing.
2. No place, unless you like living in crime filled ghettos
Can't really answer 3-6.
Best of luck.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,249,955 times
Have you considered Washington state? I don't know about the surfing part but you would be close to Oregon.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,596,800 times
I would steer clear of WA and OR if you want to surf. The water in both of those states is far too cold.

Seattle has a large Asian community, but like I said, if you want to surf, forget about it up there.

California is your best bet. Its overcrowded and run down in alot of areas, but has a large Asian community (as does NYC), and just seems like a better place to start a restaurant with that ethnicity.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,249,955 times
In reference to surfing, one of the best kept secrets is Oregon. "Cold water"? That's why they invented wet suits.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:22 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,422,712 times
I don't think there's any place in the U.S. that fits all of your criteria. No offese, but it seems to me that based on this post and your other one (Denver vs. Rhode Island in which you asked about the surfing in Colorado) that you're sort of all over the place with what you want. I think you need to prioritize which of your criteria is the most important and then do some research and branch off from there. Take a look at culinary schools and programs, narrow down the choices based on the programs that interest you and that you can afford and then look to fulfill the other criteria.

Any place near the coast or near the tourist hotspots will be a highly desirable area and rents will reflect this and will be more than what you bargain for. However, if you're willing to rent out a room in someone's home or rent an apartment with someone, your price becomes doable.

I'm not sure about what city/area would be better to launch a restaurant in. Both are massive sprawling diverse metropolitan areas so I'd imagine both would be equally good. Southern California has a very large Vietnamese population, concentrated in Orange County, specifically in Westminster and Garden Grove, whereas New York has very few Vietnamese (lots of Asians, but not many Vietnamese). You could look at either situation as a benefit. In LA, you have a built-in customer base, but by the same token, there are many other Vietnamese restaurants to compete with. On the other hand, in New York, there are far fewer Vietnamese restaurants so it's possible that opening one will be incredibly successful, filling a void in the market, or conversely, there will be no interest in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.