Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 AM

1,046 posts, read 750,579 times

Advertisements

DIA (Denver) is in the middle of farm country for the most part, however there is some development currently happening within a handful of miles, hotels mostly. Green Valley Ranch is the closest residential subdivision (I think) and it is quite a ways away. (Image attached.)

The former airport, Stapleton was completely surrounded and the areas were older, mixed middle to lower neighborhoods. My dad was a professional pilot and had to be close to work, so we lived in "old Aurora", right next to the main east/west runway. Runways, taxiways (north/south) ran over I-70 which caused traffic jams and for whatever reason there were always accidents right in there too. (Another image attached.)

Santa Fe, NM airport immediate surrounds are pretty dismal and run down coming in from I-25 considering the clientele using it, used to fly corporate out of there at least once a month.

Montrose, CO airport surrounded by commercial and hotels, small regional.

The approach to Telluride, CO will make you sit up and take notice, sharply turning into the valley surrounded by mountains. It's beautiful though.

Craig, CO is next to the Yampa River and golf course and a few homes on acreages, not much else there except for the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Area around your airport - good or bad?-moon-over-dia-sunflowers-5x7.jpg   Area around your airport - good or bad?-stapleton-747.jpg  

Last edited by twowilldo; 03-09-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Ohare is surrounded by middle class post-WW2 suburban housing and older city neighborhoods. I'd describe the area generally as working-class to middle-professional-class. The immediate vicinity is a cluster of tollways, ramps, cloverleafs and very poorly designed surface streets.

Midway is in a poorer part of Chicago and is basically embedded in the city street grid. It's not immediately connected to a freeway or tollway ramp like ohare (and many other airports I've been to). It's not uncommon to drive there for a very early morning flight and still see the women working the corners.

MSP as mentioned earlier is surrounded by the Minnesota river to the south/east and the Mississippi to the east. West of there is richfield - very middle class and lower middle class old suburb. Eagan is just south of MSP. It's an upper middle class post-1980s cul du sac suburb. Just to the north is southeast Minneapolis which, like Richfield, is working class affordable.
I don't think Midway is in a very bad area of Chicago. You have to drive through Cicero to get there, and Cicero is edgy, and I think there were some housing projects along the way as well if you're coming from the Eisenhower. But the areas immediately adjacent to Midway aren't all that terrible.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
In my current area, there isn't much around the airport, but we're a fairly small town. There is a community college and middle school near the airport on one side. There's a lake around another. Airport has a connector road back to the interstate that runs a few miles and is mostly light industrial with some office space and a rock quarry. Pretty bland stuff.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:23 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,864,175 times
Can anyone comment on Shreveport? I had a flight into that city in the 1980s and remember a very sketchy looking area just outside the airport. I think it was Hollywood Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.