Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
(walking or biking along a sheltered walkway to the office park is a lot cheaper than driving there, plus the workers get good exercise).
seriously? come on, now, a little rain never hurt anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
-sigh- yet again, emotion defies reason. No one stated that you did not have the right to state your manifesto, however, it was rather uncalled to forbid reply, as stated in your first epistle, clearly forbidding the erstwhile statement.
In the gentle diplomacy called debate, one does not call the opposition dictators or other unkind statements, perhaps you have been viewing too much televised content on the presidential debacle?
If you will kindly review Roberts Rules, and other guidebooks, (perhaps Miss Manners or Emily Post?) one might have a reasonable debate within the parameters you have set forth about San Diego.
alright john locke, no need to write a corollary to the united states constitution. i gave a damn statement that didn't demand opinions because i stated facts. if truth can't set you free, then maybe you should head to your local library and check out books by emily post yourself!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. Peak oil seems to be under the radar for so many people, but as the effects of it intensify over the coming decade, "car-based" suburbia will indeed become unsustainable.

Inner residential areas around cities and towns will prosper, and will continue to enjoy more or less modern lifestyles. Bedroom communities and far-out burbs will suffer horribly.

For a down and dirty intro to peak oil, watch A Crude Awakening.
The problem with peak oil, is that we won't know its occured until after we've already passed it. I suspect we have or are getting close to peak oil, but only time will tell. The fact that Saudia Arabia has not increased oil production despite the steep run-up in prices over the past few years and despite their stated support for lower oil prices suggest that they have reached their maximum daily output. I'd want to see a few more years of production data before being completely convinced.

Nontheless, its probably a good insurance policy to make a few relatively minor changes in policy (land-use, transit, alternative fuels, etc) just in case.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
alright john locke, no need to write a corollary to the united states constitution. i gave a damn statement that didn't demand opinions because i stated facts. if truth can't set you free, then maybe you should head to your local library and check out books by emily post yourself!
Do you have any idea who Emily Post was, and why etiquette was ever deemed a requisite in the first place?
It was put into practice to
give the rubes an idea how not to offend polite society with their gaffees..... ya might wanna look into it..... especially if you wish to market and network about San Diego as you state, all my friends and contacts there agree. You are young and rash, I suppose you might mellow, and aquire a patina of class, as per required in SD.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
"At Windy Ridge, a recently built starter-home development seven miles northwest of Charlotte, North Carolina, 81 of the community’s 132 small, vinyl-sided houses were in foreclosure as of late last year"

Starter home development? That says it all right there. This was probably a government subsidized community where the homes were offered to people with bad credit. These people probably shouldn't have been buying houses in the first place.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Everybody please remember to remain calm and on topic.Thanks.
Yac.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:56 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
"At Windy Ridge, a recently built starter-home development seven miles northwest of Charlotte, North Carolina, 81 of the community’s 132 small, vinyl-sided houses were in foreclosure as of late last year"

Starter home development? That says it all right there. This was probably a government subsidized community where the homes were offered to people with bad credit. These people probably shouldn't have been buying houses in the first place.
Can ya sort this one out for us please, southernnaturelover? Why are "starter" homes a mark of bad credit? Where did you get your house, inherit it? You have to start somewhere! And what leads you to the conclusion this is a "government subsidized community"? Aren't all communities in which there are FHA, RHA or VA mortgages government subsidized? Are you saying we should do away with those programs?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I hope you are speaking of the denizens of the McMansions, not those of us that live out in the boonies by choice, to get away from those people...
I'd like the less desirable elements OUT of the city. We both have the same goal. You moved out to escape but I like my house and the convenience of the city so I'd much rather see the inner-city scumbags go elsewhere.

I'll probably end up moving to the boonies myself because it's getting to the point where all the great things of living in an urban area aren't enough to outweigh the bad.

Though I do live in a very good neighborhood, there is occasional spillover from not so great parts of the city. It's becoming more common. I could easily live in the middle of nowhere and make a weekly trek to the city for goods but I doubt if I could deal with suburbia.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'd like the less desirable elements OUT of the city. We both have the same goal. You moved out to escape but I like my house and the convenience of the city so I'd much rather see the inner-city scumbags go elsewhere.

I'll probably end up moving to the boonies myself because it's getting to the point where all the great things of living in an urban area aren't enough to outweigh the bad.

Though I do live in a very good neighborhood, there is occasional spillover from not so great parts of the city. It's becoming more common. I could easily live in the middle of nowhere and make a weekly trek to the city for goods but I doubt if I could deal with suburbia.
Totally agree with you about the undisirable elements, seems that where I am is full of them, thus the flight to the boonies. They are even out here, but the dogs let us know..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.