Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There is a negative stigma attached to being from the northeast. A lot of people assume you are a snob, that there is no poverty here, that there is no rural life here, that we all think of ourselves as better than everybody else, that we're all ivy-league liberals, that we can't cook, etc.

It's unfortunate and I understand wanting to shed any allegiance to such a demonized title. However, I think it would be better for people outside of the northeast to do some research and stop believing the stereotype rather than northeastern states trying to change region.
That's not been my experience at all living in the Pittsburgh region. People here are generally very quick to take it as an insult if you call the area Midwestern and jump to defend its Northeastern bona-fides. Indeed, I've never head of the Northeast having a negative stigma at all - certainly not in the same sense as the Midwest or South are slagged on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Back in the early 1980s and before KSTP eyewitness news had a slogan opener that basically said "The Northwest News Leader" or something to that degree.
In the early to mid 20th century, Minnesota, the Dakotas and Montana were sometimes referred to as the Northwest or the Old Northwest. The Northwest used to be the entire area covered by the Great Northern Railroad. This is why Northwest Airlines and Norwest Bank were founded here. It is also why the word Pacific was attached to Pacific Northwest to differentiate it. That usage seemed to die out here in the 80s.

Schmidt is an old Minnesota beer:

Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's not been my experience at all living in the Pittsburgh region. People here are generally very quick to take it as an insult if you call the area Midwestern and jump to defend its Northeastern bona-fides. Indeed, I've never head of the Northeast having a negative stigma at all - certainly not in the same sense as the Midwest or South are slagged on.
I lived in the south for a long time. The northeast is not looked upon accurately.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
In the early to mid 20th century, Minnesota, the Dakotas and Montana were sometimes referred to as the Northwest or the Old Northwest. The Northwest used to be the entire area covered by the Great Northern Railroad. This is why Northwest Airlines and Norwest Bank were founded here. It is also why the word Pacific was attached to Pacific Northwest to differentiate it. That usage seemed to die out here in the 80s.

And of course the Great Lakes states were once the Northwest territories.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post

Good point.

Maybe that is how the Chicago and North Western RR got its name also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicag...tation_Company

Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
I lived in the south for a long time. The northeast is not looked upon accurately.
Yes but the South and Midwest are rubes so their respective opinions don't matter of course!

I think eschaton meant was that IN THE NORTH, there is less stigma to being from the Northeast. You aren't seen as a rube who lives on a farm and drives John Deere tractors all day and lives to root for college sports since you have nothing meaningful going on.

Just browse the forum and see the nastiness many Northeast boosters give the Midwest. To them it might as well be the 2nd South. Chicago in and of itself is looked upon with disdain as a slow backwater city by these types (and interestingly many of them are from Baltimore and DC but especially DC)

Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes but the South and Midwest are rubes so their respective opinions don't matter of course!

I think eschaton meant was that IN THE NORTH, there is less stigma to being from the Northeast. You aren't seen as a rube who lives on a farm and drives John Deere tractors all day and lives to root for college sports since you have nothing meaningful going on.

Just browse the forum and see the nastiness many Northeast boosters give the Midwest. To them it might as well be the 2nd South. Chicago in and of itself is looked upon with disdain as a slow backwater city by these types (and interestingly many of them are from Baltimore and DC but especially DC)
I'm not saying northeastern people don't put the midwest down but that attitude is on the coast, man. A lot of people there badmouth upstate NY, central PA, and even northern New England! We DO get stereotyped as backwoods hicks, believe me.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
I'm not saying northeastern people don't put the midwest down but that attitude is on the coast, man. A lot of people there badmouth upstate NY, central PA, and even northern New England! We DO get stereotyped as backwoods hicks, believe me.
And how do coasters put down the interior Northeast?

They call it the Midwest. Western New York happily takes it and says "yeah thanks ya snob" but Pittsburgh replies with "noooo! Pls let me in club "

Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
And how do coasters put down the interior Northeast?

They call it the Midwest. Western New York happily takes it and says "yeah thanks ya snob" but Pittsburgh replies with "noooo! Pls let me in club "
Cookie - speaking of the NYC/Downstate area - yes, there are some putdowns of rural areas by some in NYC. They also put down the suburbs (especially New Jersey and Long Island) and even parts of the "Outer Boroughs", although the last is declining except for Staten Island.

Eddie - I don't think I ever heard anyone in Downstate New York call western New York as part of the Midwest. Western Pennsylvania either until I got to City-Data. I don't think that most Downstaters even know how close Ohio is or even that Ohio or Michigan are part of the Midwest. Its just Ohio or Michigan to people.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
This 538 article found that the Great Lakes states are what most people consider to be "the Midwest".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.