Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Okay, has anyone relocated and found-word of mouth to be soooo exaggerated.

Tenessee is beautiful but :

1. Service Jobs, minor white collar opportunities.

2. No sense of style

3. No where to shop.

4. No culture, unless moonshine and turkey shooting counts.

5. Slow and schizophrenic. If you are in business you are looked at as a D*mn yankee.

The discrimination is alive and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Well, not all of TN is like that, but I can tell you the area I lived in was like that (Clarksville). Those were the reasons I left.... FAST.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
I've never lived in Tennessee, BUT it's not as friendly as it so jubilantly self-proclaims. It is certainly friendlier than some other parts of the country, for sure, but Tennesseans aren't nearly as friendly and cordial as, say, Texans, Oklahomans, Mississippians, Georgians, and even some Floridians and Washingtonians (the state, not district) in my experience.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 PM

208 posts, read 605,207 times
I think some of it is due to what part of the state one moves too.

Although I am from NE Tennessee, it's not the best part of the state to live in unless you are retired or work in the medical field, but the cost of living is amazing low for the low salary. Go over to Nashville if you want a better paying job and more amenities.

But throughout my travels, I've noticed that all of the states I've visited have less than desirable areas. It's unfair to judge a state on one region and then stereotype those people. I also think if you already have a negative view of the people, then that may be causing some of the unfriendly encounters, regardless of where you live.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Pablum for the public

Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Minnesota always ranks well in polls and studies....I think its a nice place if you are married, but if you are alone and over say, 21 and you are single...its like a barren wasteland! On top of that is cold!! Single + really cold + few opportunities to meet other single people can equal extremley depressing! Its really bad if you are not into winter. I think people who are FROM Minnesota do very well there, because communities are strong. But if you are NEW to Minnesota, I think you are better off married, or just giong there for college as a young single. It kinda was not so fun for me as a graduate student, age 29. I was not in a big city but I think even Minneapolis is a lot more "married" than say, Chicago or Madison, or Milwakee even (maybe not milwaukee...)

Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 AM

yes, suburban areas can be death for a single person. I grew up in NY and while I would not move back due to expense, it was social and cultural. I feel sorry for 20 yr olds in Tennessee! They drive from SW Virginia (Gate City -No Mans Land) -1/2 hr drive; just to have a night life!!.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
yes, suburban areas can be death for a single person. I grew up in NY and while I would not move back due to expense, it was social and cultural. I feel sorry for 20 yr olds in Tennessee! They drive from SW Virginia (Gate City -No Mans Land) -1/2 hr drive; just to have a night life!!.
Tennessee is a big state. I'm in my 20's, and I think Nashville and Memphis are lots of fun. Knoxville and Chattanooga are decent, too. So instead of saying "I feel sorry for 20 yr olds in Tennessee!", maybe you should say, "I feel sorry for 20 yr olds in Lard Bucket, Tennessee!"

I wouldn't move to a dairy farm in upstate New York, and then say: "Gee, I can't see what the fuss about New York is!"

Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I've never lived in Tennessee, BUT it's not as friendly as it so jubilantly self-proclaims. It is certainly friendlier than some other parts of the country, for sure, but Tennesseans aren't nearly as friendly and cordial as, say, Texans, Oklahomans...
All the Tennesseans I've met have been really nice people. My personal impression of them is one of the friendliest groups of folks I've met. I've never lived in Tennessee though - my impression is based only on those Tennesseans I've met outside the state.

The friendliest people I've met anywhere have been Oklahomans. In this case, I have lived in the state as well [although I'm not one myself].

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Tennessee is a big state. I'm in my 20's, and I think Nashville and Memphis are lots of fun. Knoxville and Chattanooga are decent, too. So instead of saying "I feel sorry for 20 yr olds in Tennessee!", maybe you should say, "I feel sorry for 20 yr olds in Lard Bucket, Tennessee!"

I wouldn't move to a dairy farm in upstate New York, and then say: "Gee, I can't see what the fuss about New York is!"
I live in a city of 50,000. I was NOT talking about Nashville. Everyone is entitled to their preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.