Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:43 AM

153 posts, read 130,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbrandt View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. One concern I have with these places, Peoria ,IL Madison,WI and Ashland, VA are the mediocre to bad crime statistics I'm seeing on area vibes.
I can assure you, Madison, WI is one of the safest mid-sized cities in the country. One suggestion I have in regards to sites like Area Vibes, is to look at the crime statistics for the metro area rather than the city itself. I have found that this gives more accurate results. I personally prefer the Sperling's Best Places site, on which Madison Metro Crime stats are (scale 1-100, 1=low):

Violent - 23.6 (US average - 31.1)
Property - 29 (US average - 38.1)

As a Madison resident for 4.5 years, I really do love the city. The cost of living is a bit high but definitely affordable (I don't own a house but my 1,000 sq ft condo I got for $90,000), and the schools are excellent. As far as land, It's hilly (I'd consider it very hilly, given I grew up in the plains of South Dakota) and very scenic up around Wisconsin Dells. The only thing I really do not like here is the very long winter season. I love hot weather and dislike anything below 65 degrees. So I'm not too happy with the weather about 8 months of the year. But I'm so hesitant to relocate because I really enjoy everything else Madison has to offer. And if your considering places like Duluth, MN and Rapid City, SD, I really think you should add Madison to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Raleigh, NC (crime, too big?)
Too big is going to be a subjective call on your part but crime listed as detriment to Raleigh is completely misguided. Raleigh's crime rates are actually quite low compared nationally. Raleigh's COL is rising but its incomes are higher than many southern metros as well. It definitely leans progressive politically but its day to day life won't make someone who "leans conservative" uncomfortable. As a rapidly growing city/metro, I think that it might also prove to be a nice balance between north and south.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 03-20-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Columbia, SC sound like a great fit for you. It's two hours from the beach and mountains, but has it's own scenic areas with 3 rivers and a large lake. City schools are okay, but the suburban schools are great, some of the best in the state.

Columbia just got a Costco last year or so. The metro is currently under 1 million, but could pass 1 million within the decade or so. But size is subjective. Columbia feels bigger than it is, but that's not a bad thing. It makes the place feel more alive, especially when it's game day. Columbia's official city population is around 140,000, but that's misleading. It's really a city of more like 250,000 or so. It's not too big, but not too small. Columbia has plenty of amenities, the city is walkable, and it's a generally safe place.

As far as weather, it's your typical humid subtropical climate. It can get nasty in the summer, but winter is typically very mild to pleasant. This winter had temperatures in the 70s and 80s for a few weeks.

Take a look at Columbia, the outer suburbs, and neighboring Lexington County. Sounds like what you're looking for.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
No Costco (as Sam's Club is HQed here) but there are three towns in Northwest Arkansas that fit your other criteria.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
No Costco (as Sam's Club is HQed here) but there are three towns in Northwest Arkansas that fit your other criteria.
Yeah, but Costco lovers are really quite loyal and obsessed with it. I know that I am!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 PM

992 posts, read 875,028 times
Perhaps you could look Oregon's Willamette Valley (Albany, Eugene, etc.)

Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 498,255 times
These are some great suggestions guys, keep 'em coming.

Colorado Springs and Grand Rapids have both peaked my interest before, but it seems to be one of those (many) places that has a roughly equal good side and a bad side of town. I'm looking for a city that I'd be comfortable having my kids walk safely through 90%+ of it.

I will admit though, Grand Rapids has some really nice looking golf courses some a quick search.

I'll definitely have to do some more detailed analysis of the crime stats using other databases, such as Sterlings. But it's quite concerning to see a big red 'F' on the Area Vibes score for some of these places mentioned.

Some of the suburbs of Oklahoma and Indianapolis seem quite well regarded too, Edmond, OK and Carmel, IN for example, although very hilly or mountainous.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
I vote for Colorado Springs. Great climate. Lived there for a year and loved it. Sure you get snow but it melts off the pavement and sidewalks soon enough. Beautiful place....

Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
These are some great suggestions guys, keep 'em coming.

Colorado Springs and Grand Rapids have both peaked my interest before, but it seems to be one of those (many) places that has a roughly equal good side and a bad side of town. I'm looking for a city that I'd be comfortable having my kids walk safely through 90%+ of it.

I will admit though, Grand Rapids has some really nice looking golf courses some a quick search.

I'll definitely have to do some more detailed analysis of the crime stats using other databases, such as Sterlings. But it's quite concerning to see a big red 'F' on the Area Vibes score for some of these places mentioned.

Some of the suburbs of Oklahoma and Indianapolis seem quite well regarded too, Edmond, OK and Carmel, IN for example, although very hilly or mountainous.
So, are you looking for something within city limits or are you open to other communities within a metro? For instance, a place like East Grand Rapids, while quite affluent for the area, you may find homes within your budget and it is walkable with very good schools. So, these areas may have walkable suburbs that fit everything or almost everything you are looking for.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 AM

12 posts, read 498,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Too big is going to be a subjective call on your part but crime listed as detriment to Raleigh is completely misguided. Raleigh's crime rates are actually quite low compared nationally. Raleigh's COL is rising but its incomes are higher than many southern metros as well. It definitely leans progressive politically but its day to day life won't make someone who "leans conservative" uncomfortable. As a rapidly growing city/metro, I think that it might also prove to be a nice balance between north and south.
I keep coming back to Raleigh. Obviously not the most mountainous of areas, but it has a state park within the city and checks off many of the boxes I have...schools, crime, golf, green.

I also like Boise for many of the same reasons. I may have to plan a visit up that way soon from Montgomery. Boise will be more difficult with the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.