Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:12 PM

33 posts, read 61,938 times

Advertisements

What would you choose and why? Born and raised newyorker looking to move within the next year. Looking at either massachusetts or maine area vs southern california area! Both have pros and cons!

Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
I would choose Southern California because of the climate and I like the scenery better there than the East Cost.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:38 PM

153 posts, read 138,080 times
Some of this depends upon your endurance level. Maine and Vermont, known for their magnificent autumn colors, can be brutally unforgiving in the winter months. Summers in Maine, from what I have been told, can bring mosquitos and black flies that you may find more than just a nuisance.

You don't specify the ages or interests of the kids (or if you have children yet), but if skiing or winter sports top your list of priorities then New England states would seem a good fit.

Southern California's climate would be an obvious advantage, particularly for people who like to be -or work in jobs - outside. California, though, has its share of problems, too. Problems that somehow seem to get worse instead of better.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,008 times
I wouldn't choose any of those areas. It all depends on what you want. When my family and I moved from a major metro area, we choose a state with a low population, and a much lower cost of living. We moved from Jacksonville, FL, a city with over a million residents, to Helena, MT, a town with 25,000. Property taxes are much lower, the schools are light years better, and our quality of life has improved dramatically. I went from spending 3 hours a day commuting, to spending 30 mins.

In Jacksonville, we had very little disposable income. On the same income, we can now afford recreational activities that we were never able to afford before.

Again, it goes back to what is the most important to you.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
None of the above. We left Long Island in 1967 and haven't missed it yet.

California is widely known as the granola state, would not work for us.

My criteria: if I can't look out the window and see palm trees, then it is too far north.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
I don't know anything about Mass or Maine, but California has great weather. Warm year round, hardly rains in southern California, no shoveling snow, no wearing heavy coats and 5 layers, no wearing snow boots every day. Also, if you like diversity, go there. You'll see people of all ethnicities, foods of all ethnicities are there.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:41 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I wouldn't choose any of those areas. It all depends on what you want. When my family and I moved from a major metro area, we choose a state with a low population, and a much lower cost of living. We moved from Jacksonville, FL, a city with over a million residents, to Helena, MT, a town with 25,000. Property taxes are much lower, the schools are light years better, and our quality of life has improved dramatically. I went from spending 3 hours a day commuting, to spending 30 mins.

In Jacksonville, we had very little disposable income. On the same income, we can now afford recreational activities that we were never able to afford before.

Again, it goes back to what is the most important to you.
My sentiments exactly! However, I like Billings better than Helena.
I have lived and/or spent time on both coasts. No, thank you. I plan to stay away from the coasts!

Old 03-24-2017, 05:22 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
I lived in So Cal for years but moved when I got married as I would never raise a family ther e. We just visited recently and I am so glad I stuck to my guns. So Cal has changed a LOT and really not for the better. Yes the weather is awesome, but it's a tough culture for raising kids. Either you are middle class and live in a 600k shack in a ghetto school district, or you are wealthy and have to contend with your kids dealing with the pressure of going to school with kids of very wealthy privilege and all the trappings that come with that. Demographically So Cal has changed dramatically too, it's mostly Hispanic and Asian in the non-uber wealthy areas.People who have lived here for years and lucked out buying a house in a decent area when it was affordable I am sure would disagree, but moving here cold turkey from across the country would be culture shock.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Depends on if you are moving for you or your kids.

The weather is better in SoCal. People are also pretty materialistic and superficial.

The education and priorities of life are better in MA and ME.

What kind of kids do you want?

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
Hhhhmmmmmm

just a general first hand experience kind of stereotype-- in our family(CA vs FL):

the West coast kids turn off the lights as they leave the room, and recycle.
East Coast ones, notso much. And guess which ones follow politics....?
I like that about the West coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.