Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:32 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times

Advertisements

Major cities that would be major cities without its bigger counterpart (Ft Worth, St. Paul, Baltimore) don't really count as satellite cities. Neither do cities that are virtually an extension of the city's core or that function as an older/inner suburb (Arlington, Cambridge, etc).

My definition of a satellite city is one that possesses these factors:

(1) existed indepedently before it got pulled into the sphere of the bigger city.
(2) has its own sizeable core/downtown (new urbanist office parks don't count).
(3) is separated from the bigger city by miles of either rural/semi-rural land or a large decrease in the density of development (so something like Newark to NYC would probably count, though Jersey City or Hoboken wouldn't).
(4) it wouldn't be a major city in its own right (I.e., I don't think I would count Ft. Worth or San Jose, for example, even though they meet the other factors).

Last edited by AT9; 04-10-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Ann Arbor comes to mind as a great one.

Rockford, IL, a terrible one.

Marietta, GA seems to be an example of this as well.

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.