Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 PM

266 posts, read 334,281 times

Advertisements

Texas produces the most d1 players, it should be better than CA.

Now, How do Texas vs Florida contests play out? I've yet to hear anything about those matchups. I bet those games are intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokemoki View Post
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone knows which U.S. states have the strongest and the least strong high school football cultures? Just curious.

Top 10 strongest:
Texas #1,
Florida #2
Ohio, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Oklahoma
PA, Michigan and California

weakest - Oregon, Kentucky, Maryland, New England and the Rockies regions.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 PM

How strong is Texas. Three top 10 NFL prospects are from the Dallas/FW area. It's not hype to say this year all three (Garrett, Solomon and Adams, from different colleges) could go be the FIRST three guys taken in the NFL draft.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Personally, having lived in Oklahoma and Texas, I feel the football culture is much more prevalent in Oklahoma than in Texas (and I currently live very close to Allen and McKinney). I suspect many of the other states not mentioned have stronger football cultures than the states people have listed. I have lived in Florida and California, and personally don't feel like most people there, in general, give a rat's *** compared to say someplace like Alabama or Indiana.

Oklahoma is strong but I rate it lower based on talent. Look at how many players at OU, Okla State and Tulsa come from Texas. I saw one year out of 85 scholarship athletes at OSU, over 65 were Texas natives. But if you look at Alabama and Auburn, a state of comparable population, they have more homegrown players.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The only state where that hasn't quite reached that point is Florida but it's starting to happen there. In the larger classifications, inner city Miami and the rest of the county was dominating Florida high school football. Teams like Northwestern, Carol City, Central, Norland have all won numerous titles the last few years. Then you had teams like Belle Glade continuing to win state. In the 80s, inner city Dallas and Houston schools competed more for championships. Teams like Dallas Carter and Houston Yates. Now, they'd be lucky to get past round 2.
Yates was huge. Had several guys go to pros including Dexter Manley and Santana Dotson; but growing suburbs with bigger schools have pushed Yates from 5A status to 3A as of last year!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout0417 View Post
Aledo overwhelms California team 65-7

THAT's BS that the enthusiasm for Texas HS football has waned. I've lived in several states and none have the attendance for the playoffs Texas has. I remember as a kid back watching Houston Stratford(Craig James of ESPN/NE Patriots and Andrew Luck school) at the state 5A championship at the Astrodome. At least 35,000 in attendance. This was the same night one of the most watch TV shows ever (Who shot J.R.) was playing. They are still building excellent facilities and it is a community bonding event. Hell, its been so big, TV did a series "Friday Night Lights" based on football in Texas.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Oklahoma is strong but I rate it lower based on talent. Look at how many players at OU, Okla State and Tulsa come from Texas. I saw one year out of 85 scholarship athletes at OSU, over 65 were Texas natives. But if you look at Alabama and Auburn, a state of comparable population, they have more homegrown players.
Now if we can only start keeping some of that home grown talent here in Texas. I couldn't believe there were no Texas schools in the Top 25 when the college season ended.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:55 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Now if we can only start keeping some of that home grown talent here in Texas. I couldn't believe there were no Texas schools in the Top 25 when the college season ended.
There's too many football schools. The talent is too spread out.

Same problem with Ohio. Outside of Ohio State there are 7 DIV I teams. If Ohio only had two or three DIV I teams at least one of those 'extra' teams (outside of OSU) would be very competitive.

It would be nice if Ohio had two 'big' teams like Michigan does..(Michigan and Michigan State)..28 Spartans played HS ball in Ohio. It would be nice if Cincinnati would step up and keep some of these guys in state.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
There's too many football schools. The talent is too spread out.

Same problem with Ohio. Outside of Ohio State there are 7 DIV I teams. If Ohio only had two or three DIV I teams at least one of those 'extra' teams (outside of OSU) would be very competitive.

It would be nice if Ohio had two 'big' teams like Michigan does..(Michigan and Michigan State)..28 Spartans played HS ball in Ohio. It would be nice if Cincinnati would step up and keep some of these guys in state.
Just to bring this back up but I agree with you. Regarding Ohio, Ohio State notices this as well. They know they live in a heavily talented state. But in addition to the rest of the Big 10 recruiting your state as well as other FBS non-Ohio schools recruiting it, you have instate schools like Bowling Green, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown State, etc. getting these kids. Ohio State still gets most of the best players in Ohio but the Buckeyes recruit out of state with the best of them. They got three top players from Texas in February.

The state of Texas is worst. More college teams and more college teams in the FBS. Texas and to a smaller extent, Texas A&M, have for the longest lived on the laurels that we don't have to recruit out of state. They relied to much on Texas. The Florida schools don't do that. They never have. Florida is rich in talent but they have always left the state to get players. I don't think any of Miami's NC quarterbacks were from Florida. Warrick Dunn was from LSU country. The most Texas and Texas A&M would usually go is Louisiana if they leave Texas. Texas has some players from California but not much. Texas is now starting to buck the trend as well as they have many offers to both instate and out of state players. If Herman can win 9 games this year, I can see that trend continuing in a major way. He already has two players from Oklahoma and one from Florida.

Before Strong got to Texas, Texas rarely recruited Georgia and Florida. Something I have always found weird. I would not be surprised if Texas has now pulled in more Florida recruits in the last three years than they ever have in its rich program history.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This. The Big 10 has an excellent feeder system. Ohio and western Pennsylvania have very strong football cultures. I don't know if western PA is the same as what it once was. The coal miner's work ethic had a lot to do with it. Even back in the day in New England, the "mill towns" usually had strong teams. Nowadays, it's the wealthiest towns with the best facilities that dominate, similar to the way they do here in Texas. Towns like Midland and Odessa are just a shell of what they used to be, while wealthy schools like Katy, Allen, Lake Travis, The Woodlands, and Southlake, etc. have become perennial powers.
Western Pennsylvania is still quite strong when it comes to high school football. Aliquippa is essentially the Belle Glade of Pennsylvania, and Pittsburgh Central Catholic is consistently ranked on national high school football polls. Other notable high school football programs in western Pennsylvania include, but are not limited to, Beaver Falls, Bethel Park, Cathedral Prep, Clairton, Franklin Regional, Gateway, Jeannette, McKeesport Area, Mt. Lebanon, New Castle, North Allegheny, North Hills, Penn Hills, Pine-Richland, Seton-LaSalle, South Fayette, Steel Valley, Upper St. Clair, West Allegheny and Woodland Hills.

I don't know as much about eastern Pennsylvania, but I know that St. Joseph's Prep is a powerhouse that, like Pittsburgh Central Catholic, is nationally ranked on a consistent basis. In fact, the two schools both faced off against each other for the PIAA Class 6A Football Championship in 2016 (St. Joseph's Prep won). Other notable high school football programs in eastern Pennsylvania include, but are not limited to, Central Bucks West, Central Dauphin, Coatesville, Cumberland Valley, Downingtown, LaSalle, Liberty, Neshaminy and Parkland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.