Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Just taking a guess and saying Chattanooga TN. Was going to say Atlanta but then I remembered that tornado that occurred downtown. Your thoughts?
Chattanooga has very narrowly dodged some violent tornadoes in the recent past, so I wouldn't say it's immune from natural disasters.

Among major U.S. cities, I'd say probably Buffalo. They get buried by lake-effect snow in the winter, but that's where the extreme weather stops. Even Arctic air is modified by its proximity to two Great Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
A blizzard isn't a natural disaster. It's not even that dangerous.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
A blizzard isn't a natural disaster. It's not even that dangerous.
Yeah and the cities that get them or lake effect snow, which is the case in the Great Lakes region, they have the infrastructure to remove it in a timely manner.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Phoenix.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:35 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I don't recall any homes being destroyed or swept away by falling snow. Snow is disruptive, not typically destructive (outside of an occasional big box store or stadium roof). Mortality tends to be by indirect means, by heart attacks or traffic accidents, and statistically there are really fewer accidents, deaths, and crimes during storms than on average days. "Cost" associated with snow is lost work-time, or additional road maintenance. Hardly equivalent to tornadoes, floods, landslides, or fires.

And best of all; afterwards, you can play in it! I'd send my kids out sledding or to have a snowball fight after a blizzard. Not exactly gonna send them to play in a flood after a hurricane. I mean, playing in a flood WOULD be fun, if not for dangerous debris and bacteria.

I guess the best you can do is to go redneck tubing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ZzTUAk6mg Gotta admit, if the water is clean and its just heavy rain and not a massive storm, I'd totally do this!

Old 04-08-2017, 01:36 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Phoenix.
Phoenix is susceptible to wildfires and floods.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
And crazy Haboob conditions every once in a while, though like snowfall these dust storms usually are not considered natural disasters.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Phoenix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
And crazy Haboob conditions every once in a while, though like snowfall these dust storms usually are not considered natural disasters.
Wildfires don't get into the Phoenix metro. They are almost exclusively in Yavapai, Coconino, Gila, and Graham counties (Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff, and Safford areas).

Haboobs last a maximum of thirty minutes and do nothing, believe me I've been in several stories high. They don't damage much and aren't considered disasters. Floods can interfere with our freeway infrastructure but it's also something you can easily avoid. Our floods could easily, easily, be fixed if we installed a drainage system like most cities have, but we also don't have very much rain, so many didn't consider it worth the cost. It's mostly a "our infrastructure can't handle two inches of rain" disaster, not a disaster that no matter what kind of infrastructure we built, it will still happen. By the way two inches of rain is 1/4 of our annual rain fall.

Phoenix, and the rest of the Southwest, are the least susceptible as of right now, though as temperatures continue to increase and cause more heatwaves we will see more heat-related deaths, and that is technically considered a natural disaster.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Greenville SC is pretty safe from natural disasters.

the area around Nooga got tore up by tornadoes a few years ago, the ones that damaged Alabama.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:04 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
How can blizzards not be counted? Tons of people die every year because of blizzards. Either from driving or from accidents(trees falling, broken wires, etc)

Safest spots I can think of

Southern Utah, las Vegas, fresno, and phoenix

If you have AC, you have nothing to worry about with regards to nature. yes, San Diego is low on the earthquake damage meter, but those places are even lower than SD. Theres also No tsunami risk like in Portland or Sacramento. Very low fire, tornado, and flood risks, too. Rain is usually a joke when it does fall.

Edit: I forgot that fog can be dangerous in Fresno, but there hasn't been a bad foggy season in like a decade. Bad fog is starting to look like a thing of the past.

Earthquake map

Last edited by Flovis; 04-08-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.