Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 08:37 AM

9,116 posts, read 13,136,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Ann Arbor, MI seems like it belongs in the Northeast to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Chicago. It's so much larger than any other midwestern city and feels more Northeast that any other midwestern city.
I can see someone saying that about Chicago but I am curious about Ann Arbor. All I know about the city is that is a big college town (or I think it is anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 AM

182 posts, read 224,643 times
How is Nola and ATL not southern? Like someone said above, just because a city is progressive and thriving doesn't mean it's not southern. Come on now. Houston is a booming, liberal (ffs, the mayor is a lesbian), thriving city, does that not make it southern?

Old 04-08-2017, 12:47 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,378,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Agreed. I live in one of the most heavily democratic majority-white cities in the country....and this is still on every way a southern town.

Dumb generalization to say that "liberal area= not really southern.

The whole Research Triangle area of NC is pretty progressive overall. We're still the south
Yea. Not like politics are everything, anyway. But all the dumb reasons people try to say a southern city isn't really "in the south", its just condescending. If you have a lot of immigrants= not the South. Apparently only the North and West can have immigrants. Despite the fact that the South has had a lot of immigrants too, particularly in coastal cities. If you have too many transplants= not the South. Apparently people who have only lived in a city for around 5-10 years have the magical power to define it more than the people who've grown up there or the generations that lived there since its founding.

Apparently being part of the South is a very fragile thing and any deviation means you just don't make the cut. God forbid the South have nice things like cities that are doing well and places that aren't still full of Jim Crow-esque attitudes. God forbid the South is anything but the poster child scapegoat of America's social ills. God forbid the South be just as multicultural as the North and West claim to be. They can't accept large diverse cities as being part of the South because then its not the easy punching bag they claim it to be.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:46 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,271,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
How is Nola and ATL not southern? Like someone said above, just because a city is progressive and thriving doesn't mean it's not southern. Come on now. Houston is a booming, liberal (ffs, the mayor is a lesbian), thriving city, does that not make it southern?
Sylvester Turner is the mayor of Houston now not Parker.I would not exactly say Houston is booming since West Texas Intermediate is still cheap.I think Austin does not fit in Texas because of its politics or at least that what I have heard.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,496,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Agreed. I live in one of the most heavily democratic majority-white cities in the country....and this is still on every way a southern town.

Dumb generalization to say that "liberal area= not really southern.

The whole Research Triangle area of NC is pretty progressive overall. We're still the south
I also agree.

It's weird too how anywhere progressive is stripped of its southern identity in people's eyes, and yet the most backwoods redneck areas of the north are almost never accused of not being "truly northern".

Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 PM

4,987 posts, read 9,065,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea. Not like politics are everything, anyway. But all the dumb reasons people try to say a southern city isn't really "in the south", its just condescending. If you have a lot of immigrants= not the South. Apparently only the North and West can have immigrants. Despite the fact that the South has had a lot of immigrants too, particularly in coastal cities. If you have too many transplants= not the South. Apparently people who have only lived in a city for around 5-10 years have the magical power to define it more than the people who've grown up there or the generations that lived there since its founding.

Apparently being part of the South is a very fragile thing and any deviation means you just don't make the cut. God forbid the South have nice things like cities that are doing well and places that aren't still full of Jim Crow-esque attitudes. God forbid the South is anything but the poster child scapegoat of America's social ills. God forbid the South be just as multicultural as the North and West claim to be. They can't accept large diverse cities as being part of the South because then its not the easy punching bag they claim it to be.
Well said !

Old 04-08-2017, 09:07 PM

102 posts, read 116,636 times
Baltimore and DC, regardless if you group them with the northeast or the south

Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 PM

92,192 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I can see someone saying that about Chicago but I am curious about Ann Arbor. All I know about the city is that is a big college town (or I think it is anyway).
I think due to the liberal nature of the city and the type of vibe/stature that the University gives off likely has to do with why the poster said that.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I hate the idea that any city thats "progressive" isn't "REALLY the South" because God forbid that the South is anything more than racist rednecks toting guns and waving rebel flags. I don't think New Orleans "doesn't fit" in the South. New Orleans is VERY unique and distinct, but it wouldn't fit ANYWHERE besides the South. Nowhere in the country do you have that cultural and historic blend of French, Spanish and African among other cultures, besides the South. Nowhere do you get that same sultry year round warm weather, than in the South. Nowhere do you get those live oaks with massive mossy branches forming beautiful canopies in the city, than in the South. New Orleans is one of the flagship cities of the South.

Cities that fall in this category are more places like Louisville, which is literally on the border with a northern state. Or Cincinatti which is like the reverse. St. Louis is still solidly Midwestern but it seems to have ties to the delta South via the Missisisppi River. It seems like a northern brother of Memphis. I'm planning to go up there next month.
I agree. I think that New Orleans is deliciously southern to it's very core.

I visited West Virginia a couple of years ago and went to the Greenbrier Resort. Everywhere I looked, there was "southern paraphernalia" but I hate to break it to them - the Greenbrier is not a southern resort and it's not in a southern state. Wannabees! LOL

I think that Springfield, MO feels southern though it's technically not. Same with Oklahoma City.

I think that there's a distinctly southern vibe to some of the cities in Ohio, which definitely surprised me.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,353,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Sylvester Turner is the mayor of Houston now not Parker.I would not exactly say Houston is booming since West Texas Intermediate is still cheap.I think Austin does not fit in Texas because of its politics or at least that what I have heard.
Austin is just as Texan if not more than Houston or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.