Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 AM

226 posts, read 249,369 times

Advertisements

My first thought is Huntsville AL, in north Alabama is not much like the rest of Alabama
My second thought is Tallahassee is definitely nothing like the rest of Florida - at all.
My third is that Jacksonville, FL might as well be in Georgia.
A little broader: Montreal might as well be no where in Canada as a nation.
Back in the South, Memphis TN is sometimes called "the largest city in Mississippi".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
My first thought is Huntsville AL, in north Alabama is not much like the rest of Alabama
My second thought is Tallahassee is definitely nothing like the rest of Florida - at all.
My third is that Jacksonville, FL might as well be in Georgia.
A little broader: Montreal might as well be no where in Canada as a nation.
Back in the South, Memphis TN is sometimes called "the largest city in Mississippi".
lol, I can see that with Memphis, it does seem more like it could be in Mississippi and doesn't feel anything like a Tennessee City!!! It does have Suburbs that sprawl over into Mississippi though...

Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
I wish people would stop correlating bigotry with being Southern.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that's all very interesting (I mean that seriously) but WV is not "the South" and I thought it was funny that there was so much "southern" paraphernalia in the gift shop at the Greenbrier. Kind of ironic considering why WV exists at all.

West Virginia Admitted as the 35th State in the Union

https://youtu.be/J581XFa9ec0
I would say that West Virginia, mostly, fits into it's designated region of the South. Even with it's history of splitting from Virginia during the Civil War, today it leans more Southern, at least in my opinion. But I can agree that it barely fits with the South. I just don't know what other region Charleston and WV would fit into??

I also have a hard time with Pittsburgh, clearly a Northern city, but is it Northeastern, Midwestern, or something else??

Old 04-10-2017, 01:10 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin has a thin, educated populace. Its citizens are more like the west coast and bowash corridor. Rest of Texas, as far as body size and education, is more aligned with the deep south and midwest, sans Minneapolis and Chicago.
This is absolutely laughable.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Miami, New Orleans and Louisville, KY doesn't belong in the south nor feels Southern to me... As far as Atlanta Metro, don't agree that it doesn't belong in the south like some other posters have stated. Even though it's big, still feels Southern to me, just has a lot of transplants. Still a lot of race issues in Georgia and Metro Atlanta. Surprisingly Nashville feels more open mined than Atlanta to me as far as races being together, mixing, etc. Atlanta just still feels closed mined to me. It still attracts a large number of blacks from other cities and most concentrates in the same areas. Also yes it has a number of different races here but most just stick to themselves for the most part or deal with each other on a work or school bases only. Just don't feel that unity of races here in Georgia like I feel in some other states I wouldn't even expect, still Georgia..
Where do these three cities belong? Again I ask, why is it the South cannot be a diverse region but every other region can?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
New Orleans is definitely southern, it just has unique aspects. But unique aspects don't remove a city or area from a general culture by themselves. The delta region and Tennessee Appalachia are very different, but they're still southern. I don't see why SE Louisiana is any different.

However, Miami/S. Florida isn't "southern." They belong in a separate Carribean island nation.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where do these three cities belong? Again I ask, why is it the South cannot be a diverse region but every other region can?

Well Louisville is easy, Midwest to Northeast all day long and that's understandable being it straddles the Midwest anyway. For me Miami doesn't even feel like the States sometimes which is very understandable with its huge Cuban and Spanish speaking population and it's funny because New Orleans is weird like that too.. It sometimes doesn't feel like the US but definitely doesn't seem like a Typical Southern City.. Never said the South can't be a diverse region but when people reference the South, you automatically know what they are thinking. The funny part is a lot of it has to do with the way people are, think and act more than the physical make up of the place. Example, Dating... you can bring some one from another Country to Atlanta and they are more than likely to get influenced with the way people are here. They are more than likely to stick with the race that closely matches them in Georgia because they see so much of a stigma with it in Atlanta by the way people still act sideways racist and stick to their own, they wouldn't dare venture pass their race from fear of being rejected. They are already in a foreign Country. Vice versa some one from another country is more than likely to venture to other races and dating in a region of the US that is more open to this. Don't get me wrong, physical make up of cities play a part in this as well. The typical Southern City tends to not be as dense in the inner city, prime example " Atlanta Again" and a Northern or Midwest City which most of us know are. Southern cities tend to be more green with more yard space in the City while North and Midwest Cities have tons of Tight Row Houses, Bldgs. and Bungalow Houses.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is absolutely laughable.
I know. I'm not sure if he's trolling or truly believes that. Austin's obesity rate (city & metro) would dramatically increase if it had more barrios & lower income neighborhoods. There's simply more of those throughout the DFW, SA, & Houston Metros, which skews the stats. On paper, Dallas and Houston seem like out of shape cities. However, visit any affluent neighborhood or town in those metros. Visit the main neighborhoods, major parks, etc. Tell me how many obese people there are in those areas. They're diverse cities that depending on where you live or visit, can either be described as "very fit" or "very fat" cities. Fitness-oriented people moving to those cities can find a critical mass of similar people. By city pop size alone, I can tell you there's more health food stores and gyms in Dallas than in Austin. I know that, because I'm very physically active myself and know many that are.

Comparing them to say Jackson, MS or Memphis, TN is very misleading.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Well Louisville is easy, Midwest to Northeast all day long and that's understandable being it straddles the Midwest anyway. For me Miami doesn't even feel like the States sometimes which is very understandable with its huge Cuban and Spanish speaking population and it's funny because New Orleans is weird like that too.. It sometimes doesn't feel like the US but definitely doesn't seem like a Typical Southern City.. Never said the South can't be a diverse region but when people reference the South, you automatically know what they are thinking. The funny part is a lot of it has to do with the way people are, think and act more than the physical make up of the place. Example, Dating... you can bring some one from another Country to Atlanta and they are more than likely to get influenced with the way people are here. They are more than likely to stick with the race that closely matches them in Georgia because they see so much of a stigma with it in Atlanta by the way people still act sideways racist and stick to their own, they wouldn't dare venture pass their race from fear of being rejected. They are already in a foreign Country. Vice versa some one from another country is more than likely to venture to other races and dating in a region of the US that is more open to this. Don't get me wrong, physical make up of cities play a part in this as well. The typical Southern City tends to not be as dense in the inner city, prime example " Atlanta Again" and a Northern or Midwest City which most of us know are. Southern cities tend to be more green with more yard space in the City while North and Midwest Cities have tons of Tight Row Houses, Bldgs. and Bungalow Houses.
Well I guess Houston is on borrowed time at least in the inner city as it is developing. To be fair, you described much, if not most of Miami and South Florida single family neighborhoods when it comes to houses with yard space in the city. I still find Miami Southern but I'm mostly speaking from a Black American point of view and even the Caribbean Blacks in Miami adopted Southern elements while living in the US. I assume the same happened with Caribbean Blacks in New York and Boston but that doesn't make them any less Northeastern or New England respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.