Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times

Advertisements

I think most big cities have large areas where a person can live in peace as far as having religion thrown in his/her face.

I live on the north side of Chicago and I've never had any issues or people getting all weird on me as far as religion. I'm not religious at all, and it's never been a problem for anyone.

I went to Arkansas and was almost scared at the degree people in the rural areas up north would inject religion into almost EVERY SINGLE conversation. I was really trying to be respectful and go along with them, but I really wasn't sure what to say. Their first question was always what church I went to before they found out I didn't live there. My friend I was visiting was down there temp for a job, and she actually found a random church and went a few times because before she did that she found herself having to explain to all these totally confused people why she didn't have a church down there.

College towns are also normally pretty non-religious in their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,518,212 times
Perhaps you can find a differant country to live in ????

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM

3,068 posts, read 7,980,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
LOL!The USA is just too faithful!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,626,737 times
The Top Three are great for not having to deal with the religiously crazy. Or even the religious at all. NYC, Chicago and LA have a high population of extremely secular people

Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,000,317 times
Oh Ye of Little Faith may want to try Kansas City. Organized religion, while present, does not dominate the culture of the city.

5,296 posts, read 6,431,941 times
People are so busy running away from what they think is religion being shoved down their throats that they probably haven't noticed 'God' being removed from everything in this country that once was. The place is falling apart and yet people still have the nerve to ask God to bless America.

1,969 posts, read 6,371,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Last time I checked this was the home of the free- although I know there are extremist religious zealots that wish it weren't. I guess Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Ted Williams (when he was alive), Pat Tillman (when he was alive) should have found different countries too. Believe anything you like, but be congnizant that lots of good people that contribute a lot to this country and love it simply don't believe.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,942,029 times
NYC is a very secular place now, more than ever. The Catholic Cardinal's influence on local politics and mores has waned considerably....

Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,518,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Last time I checked this was the home of the free- although I know there are extremist religious zealots that wish it weren't. I guess Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Ted Williams (when he was alive), Pat Tillman (when he was alive) should have found different countries too. Believe anything you like, but be congnizant that lots of good people that contribute a lot to this country and love it simply don't believe.

Just trying to be helpful !!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
Which cities are least influenced by theists? Where in the US can science be taught in science classes, where Jesus isn't thrown into the fray of office politics, where politicians don't believe our constitution needs God in it, where going to church is a matter of personal preference instead of a matter of social class?

And to make this interesting, let's not talk about Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
All of the above plus I'd add Minneapolis.

Basically, look at the election results map. Look for the blue states and then the most densely populated areas within those states.
I really disagree with the above. Colorado is considered a "red" state, but is very secular, even in Colorado Springs, home of Focus on the Family. It's only "red" in terms of vote for president in 2004, an event that happened four years ago. I posted this link back in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're right. It is explained a little better in the introductory material of this project. Map Gallery of Religion in the United States Adherent using means sticking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.