Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 06:28 PM

69 posts, read 35,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Check out income-based rentals in very low crime smaller cities like Wausau, WI, Fond du Lac, WI and Lebanon, NH. Boise in Idaho and Ames in Iowa could also work.
Lived in Boise....NEVER AGAIN!

But will consider the others, thank you.

Edit: Ames looks interesting.

Last edited by DesperateHobo; 04-16-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 06:29 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Northern New England if you can stand the cold winters. Low prices, peace and quiet. If you have a section 8 voucher, you can use it. Maine or New Hampshire. Five kids are a lot of work though and probably you should just send them to school. Kids need to interact with other kids and school would probably be good for them. Better to be with a bunch of nice kids than homeschooling them while making them live in some awful place like you describe.

Put an ad on Craigs List describing your situation, that you have the voucher and excellent references. You'd qualify for fuel assistance to pay the heating bill, probably food stamps, and medicaid for the kids. Nothing is going to be perfect but if you want to get away from what you're describing, try northern New England. Nice old fashioned (in a good way) people up there.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Dallas or Houston. Great cheap burbs. Cheapfood. No income tax
Um, yeah no to DFW. Home values have exploded. There is not enough housing for everyone who wants to live here now. Rents are through the roof. People are paying crazy prices due to scarcity.

$700 wouldn't even get a one-bedroom apt.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
Public school does cost money. Nothing is free. But my kids are not of school age. And sending them to school so mom can work at McDonald's for $5 an hour goes against everything we believe in.
She can go into retail and make $9...but seriously, as others have said, you're going to have to make sacrifices. Even with money, everything isn't gonna go your way.

I don't know where to recommend except somewhere remote, but I will recommend changing your outlook on work and school, and what's "boring."

Old 04-16-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Mortgages are something rich people use.

$20,000 is an astronomical figure.

What I am looking for is something for poor people, not rich people.

We currently have about $1,000 saved up. The most we have ever had.

It is theoretically possible that we could save up...$5,000? Assuming we can survive this nightmare of Indiana we are in.
Section 8 housing vouchers can be used for a mortgage. $20K is not astronomical in a mortgage payment, even at your level, because you have the section 8 voucher.

But your wants are unreasonable. We have several condo units here that accept section 8 vouchers. The voucher program is so that section 8 people don't have to be concentrated together and end up ghetto like you are saying.

They live in a nice, safe, quiet community but it probably doesn't meet your standards. Condos are like apartments.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:42 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:

OK, drop Boise then. May I ask why you hate it?

I can add Appleton, WI, Altoona, PA and Lincoln, Nebraska as other smaller cities with very low crime rates where you should find income-based rentals.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
She can go into retail and make $9...but seriously, as others have said, you're going to have to make sacrifices. Even with money, everything isn't gonna go your way.

I don't know where to recommend except somewhere remote, but I will recommend changing your outlook on work and school, and what's "boring."
I can't believe 'boring' is on the list. Isn't a trailer in the middle of nowhere with no electricity and running water boring?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 PM

69 posts, read 35,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That sure wasn't in my thoughts at all op, of course everybody wants a safe place to live. But, with your income and the standards you seek, and the other things you don't like about various places, like this place is boring and this place is that. You wont be able to have everything your way with hardly any money. You will probably have to bend a little on some things. I'm not saying that place don't exist anywhere, but it sure as heck wont be easy to find. You been around the world and haven't find it yet. there is no utopia out there, and even bad things can happen in safe places.
I'm sorry, but when did I complain that I could not live somewhere if it is "too boring"?

Living in a tent in the desert was one of the best options discussed.

Do you think that is the exciting life?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Edit: Ames looks interesting.
did you used to live where a crazy woman lived in her Van parked outside your house? With sewage backing up in your home?

This thread sounds exactly like that one posted by a woman. With a disabled Vet for a husband. I take it you are the husband.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but when did I complain that I could not live somewhere if it is "too boring"?

Living in a tent in the desert was one of the best options discussed.

Do you think that is the exciting life?
yes, you mentioned 'boring'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.