Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

In my neighborhood I hear a lot of languages, but the most common are probably Urdu, Hindi, Spanish, various Dravidian and Indo-Aryan languages, in that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,408 times
In the part of town that I live in the main languages that I hear other than English are Spanish, Somali, and Sudanese.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Yes all the time, mostly being Latin American, Indian, Korean, or Vietnamese english accents.
I hear many languages I've heard:
Spanish
Hindi
What ever they speak in Hyderabad (we have a lot of Hyderabad people here)
Urdu
Hangul
Mandarin
Fukien
Catonese
Japanese
Portuguese
French (French French, and African French)
Italian
German (and Flemish )
Arabic
Tagalog
Cebuano
Szichuanese
Shanghainese
Russian
Vietnamese
Khmer
Lao
Thai
Iranian
Armenian (weird...)
Swedish
Finnish (US Nokia is based like literally less then 5 miles from where I live)
Dutch
Romanian
and
Czech

I have yet to Hear Greek, Polish, Burmese, Malay, and any African Tribal-ish Language

The top 10 list would be (excluding english) not in any order:
1)Spanish
2)Hangul (Korean)
3)Any for of Indian, Hindi, Punjabi...
4)Urdu (Pakistan)
5)Vietnamese
6)Chinese
7)Any Filipino Language (mostly Tagalog, but I've hard Cebuano)
8)Portuguese
9)French
10)German
you don't see all of them everyday, but it is not uncommon...I used to hear Finnish Daily but not anymore...

In just my area here is how it goes...in order...excluding english
1)Indian/ Urdu (all the indians and pakis tell me the difference is minimal)
2)Spanish
3)Korean
4)Chinese
5)Vietnamese
7)Portuguese
a big drop off then

8)Tagalog
9)Japanese
10)French

Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM

208 posts, read 412,131 times
Yes, I hear foreign languages all the time when I go out. I'm in an extremely diverse area. It's rude and half of the time it appears they do it on purpose to talk about you behind your back or just to shove their culture down your throat. So it's time to fight fire with fire. We're learning some of our "Mother Tongue" to throw them off.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Chicago has too many spoken languages to list here, but out in the burbs I frequently hear Spanish, German, Russian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Arabic, Polish, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:34 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
Yes, I hear foreign languages all the time when I go out. I'm in an extremely diverse area. It's rude and half of the time it appears they do it on purpose to talk about you behind your back or just to shove their culture down your throat. So it's time to fight fire with fire. We're learning some of our "Mother Tongue" to throw them off.
How is it rude to speak one's first language amongst other people who speak it too. When visiting Germany I spoke English with my friend, even though we both knew a bit of German because English is our first language (sadly, I remember almost no German now), we weren't trying to 'shove' anything down anyone's throat, what a bizarre statement.

Last edited by j33; 03-07-2008 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,693 times
I hear chinese a lot! BTW I am in Seattle as well
But I do live in Chinatown, so that may be why..lol.
I do hear southern accents..from myself, I moved up here from Arkansas
Other than that...there are a couple of people who speak french around.

But in my hometown in Arkansas..I heard a lot of spanish,laotian,and marshallese.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Finnish (US Nokia is based like literally less then 5 miles from where I live)
you don't see all of them everyday, but it is not uncommon...I used to hear Finnish Daily but not anymore...

I am trying to learn Finnish, it is cool that you got to hear it. I have never been able to hear it from a native.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Yep is easy to hear foreign accent here in Miami. As 60%+ of Miami is hispanic. I wish we were more diverse than hispanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Although Seattle is somewhat multicultural, I don't hear as many foreign accents/ languages around me when I am out & about, as compared to New York City, LA, San Fran or Toronto. If I do hear foreign languages it's usually restricted to downtown tourist districts. I occasionally hear various Asian languages & Spanish but there aren't too many Mexicans here. Plus I rarely hear a Southern accent or a stereotypical NYC- Boston accent in my neck of the woods.
Is it easy to hear foreign languages/ accents around you in your town?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM

208 posts, read 412,131 times
To J33:

It's rude when you live in America, an English-speaking country
and there are illegal immigrants speaking their foreign language
around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.