Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 AM

26 posts, read 19,705 times

Advertisements

Hello and Salaam Aleykum to any brothers and sisters reading this thread.

I'm a recent graduate, a Muslim and I have a degree in Biology. I grew up in NY and NC, and I'm now living in NYC. I want to move to a city that has things to do and isn't just newly built suburbs (like the Charlotte area) but I can't take the crowdedness (is that a word?) and filthiness of New York. I'd like a happy medium between the two. Ideally I would like to purchase a home or a townhome in a few years, so somewhere with an accessible property market where you can be a homeowner on an average income, and while I have a car and don't intend to go without one it'd be nice if I'm able to walk some places and there is some sort of public transit available. I'm apolitical, and it's meaningless for me to have a preference for red or blue states because I don't fit into either box, it'd be nice if there were decent public services and it isn't too hard to get a CCW though. I don't need to be on a coast, but I do need to be within an hour of some large body of water (be it the ocean or a big lake) and near a major international airport. As for climate, I prefer cold to heat but I'm flexible as long as there is a real winter with snow every year.

I mention that I'm Muslim for the following reasons:

I would prefer if there was some sort of established Muslim community, in places where there isn't an established community the only masjids around are usually Nation of Islam affiliated and I have no interest or desire to be around that and I think the feeling is mutual (I'm a white guy and a revert/convert) and I'm addition to that I would like to get married one of these days and to meet someone there has to be other Muslims.

I would prefer if open, violent hatred towards Muslims was socially unacceptable (I know this is most of America, but there are definitely places where this isn't so.

I don't want to have any trouble with work when I have to perform my religious obligations, which are 5 prayers per day and 2 of them usually fall within the standard work day. I have a legal right to do so unless it causes undue hardship under the Civil Rights Act, but some people give a problem about it.

Other than those things I'm really open to checking out anywhere, people have reccomended that I look at Houston and DC/Virginia and I intend too but I would like input from the relocation experts of city-data forums!

Thank you for helping me, I truly and sincerely appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnRushd View Post
Hello and Salaam Aleykum to any brothers and sisters reading this thread.

I'm a recent graduate, a Muslim and I have a degree in Biology. I grew up in NY and NC, and I'm now living in NYC. I want to move to a city that has things to do and isn't just newly built suburbs (like the Charlotte area) but I can't take the crowdedness (is that a word?) and filthiness of New York. I'd like a happy medium between the two. Ideally I would like to purchase a home or a townhome in a few years, so somewhere with an accessible property market where you can be a homeowner on an average income, and while I have a car and don't intend to go without one it'd be nice if I'm able to walk some places and there is some sort of public transit available. I'm apolitical, and it's meaningless for me to have a preference for red or blue states because I don't fit into either box, it'd be nice if there were decent public services and it isn't too hard to get a CCW though. I don't need to be on a coast, but I do need to be within an hour of some large body of water (be it the ocean or a big lake) and near a major international airport. As for climate, I prefer cold to heat but I'm flexible as long as there is a real winter with snow every year.
Look into Chicago.

It meets all your demands and criteria points to a T and by the way, it has one of the top four largest Muslim populations in the United States (New York, Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angeles). Especially if you're Middle Eastern (third largest Middle Eastern population in America) or South Asian (third largest South Asian population in America).

Chicago is one of America's truly great cities, a great place for the amount of money it takes to live there, and finally from what you've stated in your post it is also the ideal fit for you across the board in every way (from your descriptions).

Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Look into Chicago.

It meets all your demands and criteria point to a T and by the way, it has one of the top four largest Muslim population in the United States (New York, Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angeles).

Chicago is one of America's truly great cities, a great place for the amount of money it takes to live there, and finally from what you've stated in your post it is also the ideal fit for you across the board in every way (from your descriptions).
First off, I want to compliment your username, very clever.

Secondly, thanks for the really quick reply to my post. I've never been to Chicago but I've heard many good and bad things, you're right it is known as a great American iconic city. You mention that it's great for the amount of money it takes to live there, may I ask how much that is? Starting out I'll probably want to rent a one bedroom in an area that I'll feel safe and comfortable in, what should I expect to pay monthly? What areas do you recommend? Chicago is sort of infamous for crime, but I know that like everywhere else there's good and bad, where should I avoid looking?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Perhaps Ann Arbor and other parts of Metro Detroit(Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Melvindale, Allen Park, etc.).

Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Ann Arbor and other parts of Metro Detroit(Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Melvindale, Allen Park, etc.).
Thank you. Is Ann Arbor more of a college town or a town with a big college? What I'm wondering is if someone with no affiliation to UMich would be a fish out of water there.

As for Metro Detroit, is it a good place for someone who doesn't already have a family to live? What's the city life like out there? I'm under the impression that places like Dearborn are just suburbs where lots of Lebanese families have settled, and I don't know how a single white guy without attachments to the suburb would fit even though I share a faith with many of the residents there.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Philly or Northern VA

Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Philly or Northern VA
Northern VA/the DC area seems appealing, where would you recommend specifically in the area? I ask because it seems hugely varied

Old 04-17-2017, 10:41 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Thank you. Is Ann Arbor more of a college town or a town with a big college? What I'm wondering is if someone with no affiliation to UMich would be a fish out of water there.

As for Metro Detroit, is it a good place for someone who doesn't already have a family to live? What's the city life like out there? I'm under the impression that places like Dearborn are just suburbs where lots of Lebanese families have settled, and I don't know how a single white guy without attachments to the suburb would fit even though I share a faith with many of the residents there.
Ann Arbor I'd say is more of a college town, but there is more to it in terms of companies, nightlife and it is minutes from Detroit. Main Street Ann Arbor Main Street Ann Arbor

Dearborn is more of an urban suburb of Detroit and has a little bit of its own scene, but you can also go into Detroit or across town to Royal Oak for other options. About Downtown
West Dearborn Downtown Development Authority Home - West Dearborn Downtown Development Authority

There is still a substantial white non hispanic population in Dearborn.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ann Arbor I'd say is more of a college town, but there is more to it in terms of companies, nightlife and it is minutes from Detroit. Main Street Ann Arbor Main Street Ann Arbor

Dearborn is more of an urban suburb of Detroit and has a little bit of its own scene, but you can also go into Detroit or across town to Royal Oak for other options. About Downtown
West Dearborn Downtown Development Authority Home - West Dearborn Downtown Development Authority

There is still a substantial white non hispanic population in Dearborn.
Thanks.

I don't really care about being a minority ethnically or anything like that, I'm used to it. It was more about me being a single person in a family suburb with no links to the community there. Thank you for the info, you cleared it up.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
First off, I want to compliment your username, very clever.

Secondly, thanks for the really quick reply to my post. I've never been to Chicago but I've heard many good and bad things, you're right it is known as a great American iconic city. You mention that it's great for the amount of money it takes to live there, may I ask how much that is? Starting out I'll probably want to rent a one bedroom in an area that I'll feel safe and comfortable in, what should I expect to pay monthly? What areas do you recommend? Chicago is sort of infamous for crime, but I know that like everywhere else there's good and bad, where should I avoid looking?
Crime isn't a problem for the average person moving to Chicago. You just have to stay out the "no go" areas of the city and you'll be crime free. It is like that with any city really.

The areas to avoid are much of the Westside and Southside of Chicago. As a disclaimer, not all of the Southside is bad because it is physically a huge area of the city, so has plenty of areas that are good but a large amount of it is blighted and can be very dangerous. Also avoid areas like Gary, Indiana which is a close by place in Northwest Indiana, where some of Chicago's suburbs are.

The best areas in the city of Chicago are in the Northside, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near North Side, Edison Park and the like. The majority of the suburbs west and north of the city are pretty good, relatively safe, and offer all the essential amenities with a high standard of living.

Everything you asked for is available in Chicago. The city has beaches in the core of the city, it is a cold weather city where snow in winter is a normal occurrence, it is relatively affordable (especially compared to New York or the Washington DC area), housing on an average salary is attainable for purchase, and the place is good for your career.

I would say Bridgeview, Albany Park, Oak Lawn, or really anywhere in DuPage County would work great for you if you want to be around a large Muslim population in the Chicago area. Naperville, for a suburban city would also work terrific for you and there is access to public transport out there (via Metra). The rent for an apartment in these areas are likely half or less of what the average rent is in New York and you'll be pretty safe from crime as well.

I have lived in Chicago, Houston, and Washington DC, I would recommend Chicago to you over anywhere else that has been mentioned in this thread. If you're looking for an affordable city (relative to New York and many other large cities) with pretty much everything to offer from great food, to night scene, to job opportunities, to transit, to infrastructure, to diversity and all of that then Chicago is the best option for you.

Zillow will help you find an apartment or living accommodations that suit your preferences in location, pricing, amenities offered nearby, or transit options:

https://www.zillow.com/chicago-il/apartments/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.