Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:19 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
You've got to be kidding. NJ has probably the highest residential property taxes in the nation, just astronomical. Hundreds of complaints about this, here on the "NJ" forum. Why would anyone stay there after they retire? Nursing home rates, hospital rates, and general cost of living are very high.

To answer the original question, PA and WV statistically have among the highest percent of native-born residents. NV and FL among the least.
I know is New Jersey is expensive, but since I live here, I don't realize how expensive it truly is! Is it really that expensive and not affordable? I mean if you're retired and don't have children, you can afford more things, but raising in New Jersey seems like it's expensive, but it is a great place to raise children overall if it weren't for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 06:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maine is full of old retirees. And I assume they're natives because no one MOVES to Maine to retire.

That being said, it's a beautiful state - for about four months out of the year.
There are a fair amount of people that do move to Maine or New Hampshire to retire. Not everyone wants to move to the Sunbelt that is getting more crowded by the day.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There are a fair amount of people that do move to Maine or New Hampshire to retire. Not everyone wants to move to the Sunbelt that is getting more crowded by the day.
Perhaps, who knows?

The median age for Mainers is the oldest in the US (over 44 years of age).
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-usa-by-state/

The largest group of people moving out of Maine are those over 65.
https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...ers-study-2016

But like I said, Maine's a pretty state for part of the year. Personally, I like Maine a lot.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
North Dakota is so boring and when you retire, you will be so bored. My grandmother is bored at home, because she is retired, but actually, she goes shopping around different parts of North Jersey every day and she wants a part time job and community service (She loves helping the community) to keep her occupied. North Dakota is an empty state and there isn't great shopping like New Jersey. New Jersey is great for retirees. I can't believe someone regardless of age would want to live in North Dakota.
That's great that you love New Jersey so much! Don't leave, ever!

Honestly your attitude is a great example why I have no interest in ever living in Jersey.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:25 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maine is full of old retirees. And I assume they're natives because no one MOVES to Maine to retire.

That being said, it's a beautiful state - for about four months out of the year.
Not always true. While it may not enough to turn the tables, I know 6 people that are retired so they bought homes there for the summer and homes in Florida for the winter. I don't think many retirees buy homes in Maine to live in 365 days a year because the winters are a mess but there's a summer beach home market there.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
There are still a lot of natives in Texas even though many people from around the country are moving here.Texas has a lot of retirees too.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Florida and Arizona have tons of retirees. Probably S. Carolina, too. Virginia. Texas.
As far as natives--I'd imagine N. and S. Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota, parts of the Northeast--Massachusetts, NH, Rhode Island and Maine.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
As far as natives--I'd imagine N. and S. Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota, parts of the Northeast--Massachusetts, NH, Rhode Island and Maine.
And Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Most natives: Louisiana, 79%; Michigan, 77%; Ohio, 75%; Pennsylvania, 74; Wisconsin and Mississippi 72; Iowa, 71; KY, W. VA, Alabama 70. All the rest, < 70%. Least? Nevada, 25%.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/u...1900.html?_r=0

Old 05-03-2017, 02:33 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
That's great that you love New Jersey so much! Don't leave, ever!

Honestly your attitude is a great example why I have no interest in ever living in Jersey.
Actually no COMPLETE OPPOSITE!! I hate it here and the east coast! Must move to Cali, Oregon, or Washington when I grow up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.