Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

Florida is obviously the most well-known retiree state, but because of that, it is hard to believe that there are any natives. I live in New Jersey and many people and even young people move out of here, because they are tired of the cold. I have relatives (old people) who live in Florida with a decent amount of land (backyard space, etc.) and I think it is because of the hot weather and cost of living is cheaper over there.

I live in New Jersey and I go to college here, and I heard two of my professors say they were born, grown up, and lived here their entire lives, which frustrates me, because the east coast climate sucks and I would never want to live here for the rest of my life (dealing with extreme season changes, snow, and humidity). Most people in my town grew up here as well and even retirees (native to NJ only) continue to live here. There are a lot of retirees out here and surprisingly, they do drive pretty modern cars, which old people do need, because some need faster braking, and some have trouble feeling their feet, because of neuropathy. The old people out here actually drive pretty well, while there are only a few that can drive slow.

California seems to have mixture of both natives and new people, because everyone wants to live in that overrated state. People move to either Florida or California when they leave their parents' house to get away from the bad climate they lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Your references to "old people" sound like they're from someone, who doesn't realize that someday, they, too, will be one of those "old people". Brace yourself. Also, my hope is that you, too, can have a "modern" car, when you're old, as opposed to.....????, maybe a Model T??

Old 04-26-2017, 08:12 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Florida is obviously the most well-known retiree state, but because of that, it is hard to believe that there are any natives.
Where do you think the 225K born in Florida annually wind up?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 AM

594 posts, read 698,933 times
Arizona is where where everyone is relocating.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Your references to "old people" sound like they're from someone, who doesn't realize that someday, they, too, will be one of those "old people". Brace yourself. Also, my hope is that you, too, can have a "modern" car, when you're old, as opposed to.....????, maybe a Model T??
I forgot to write in this post that many of the CURRENT old people only, not the young generation, or generation before the young generation, can afford decent cars and sports cars. Here in NJ, if the weather is nice, I see old people driving convertibles and they don't drive like crazy like most convertible or sports car drivers. I barely see anyone in my parents' generation with a sports car or a convertible. Things are too expensive these days and our parents generation struggles with money and mine do too even though we're like upper middle class. The young generation would struggle too depending on if they buy a big house and/or having to pay expenses of raising children. So I would not assume I can afford a brand new car easily when I age and get old.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:30 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Arizona is where where everyone is relocating.
Arizona is 5th behind by Texas, Florida, California and Washington in terms of population growth by number and 8th behind Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Florida, Washington, Orgeon and Colorado by percentage of population growth. (2015 to 2016 numbers)

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb16-214.html

Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Northern NJ near NYC is full of transplants.
A lot of people that move to NYC & get priced out but still want to stay in the NYC move to NJ for a lower COL, and it's been happening a lot more lately. Hoboken and Jersey city are booming right now.

The other parts of NJ don't have much transplants at all though. South Jersey is filled with people from Philly but that's literally the border, so that doesn't count. Although technically they are not natives to the State still.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:07 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
I think I read one time that North Dakota had the most native residents (per capita).

Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think I read one time that North Dakota had the most native residents (per capita).
North Dakota is so boring and when you retire, you will be so bored. My grandmother is bored at home, because she is retired, but actually, she goes shopping around different parts of North Jersey every day and she wants a part time job and community service (She loves helping the community) to keep her occupied. North Dakota is an empty state and there isn't great shopping like New Jersey. New Jersey is great for retirees. I can't believe someone regardless of age would want to live in North Dakota.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:18 PM

594 posts, read 698,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Arizona is 5th behind by Texas, Florida, California and Washington in terms of population growth by number and 8th behind Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Florida, Washington, Orgeon and Colorado by percentage of population growth. (2015 to 2016 numbers)

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb16-214.html
See ya in Arizona !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.