Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWSn0JFRiPI

I love me some Yoohoo!!!!!!
I just heard that song at the Wal Mart yesterday! I wonder if it's gonna follow me around for a while. It's funny when songs do that by coincidence.

I have to drink YooHoo only on occasion. I could literally kill an entire jug of it a day if I had the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
No one has brought up "yunz" (many spellings), the plural of "you" yet. Common in Pittsburgh and parts of Appalachia.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:57 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No one has brought up "yunz" (many spellings), the plural of "you" yet. Common in Pittsburgh and parts of Appalachia.
Yes, I work with a coworker and she uses that term all the time. She is from the mountains of North Carolina. So, that must be true mountain talk from them.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:09 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
If a Midwestern says Soda instead of pop they are likely from St. Louis
Or from Milwaukee

Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yinzers!

I was not aware that "Yunz" was also prevalent in parts of the south. It can be heard in pockets of rural western NY as well. Especially Allegany and Cattaraugus counties, and perhaps Steuben to a lesser extent.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
A lot of people in Louisiana use the word "stay" as a substitute for "live" as in "I work in Baton Rouge but I stay in Port Allen."

Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
I didn’t realize I said “g’head” until someone from California asked me to say go ahead. I grew up in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
Oh wow, I say "Ga head" too. I'm from Philadelphia but am the first in my family born there - everyone else in my family (parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.) was from New York City, so it's possible I picked it up from them. Now I wonder if it's a NY thing or if Philly people do that as well.

I don't say my double t's. So Kitten comes out like ki-in, Mitten is Mi-in (not quite that bad, there's a little bit of a "t "in there). When I went away to college, I became friends with some girls from Baltimore. They used to make fun of how I said those words. I never even realized I did that. I'm pretty sure it's a Philly thing.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Oh wow, I say "Ga head" too. I'm from Philadelphia but am the first in my family born there - everyone else in my family (parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.) was from New York City, so it's possible I picked it up from them. Now I wonder if it's a NY thing or if Philly people do that as well.

I don't say my double t's. So Kitten comes out like ki-in, Mitten is Mi-in (not quite that bad, there's a little bit of a "t "in there). When I went away to college, I became friends with some girls from Baltimore. They used to make fun of how I said those words. I never even realized I did that. I'm pretty sure it's a Philly thing.
With double T words that end in an EN the weird TT removal/back of the throat pause is common here in NY state too. Mi-en instead of mitten.

On the flip side, in words like battery, the t's take the foreground and the E takes off! "Battry".

Old 09-06-2018, 01:29 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
What happens in ***** stays in *****. Where am I from? Lol

Old 09-07-2018, 01:34 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
I know for NY it's words like Son, Mad, Wylian, Odee, What's good, Ayo, Deada**,B,Snuff,Sonnin,Blowin Minds,Dub,My Ni**a.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.