Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,935,043 times

Advertisements

The Confederate flag, while it might have some unpleasant memories attached, to some is still part of their family history. Many of us had family that fought in the civil war for the south, and there is nothing wrong with honoring those who have passed. Now when used in the way many do it is dumb lol. I think by hard working it kinda goes with the whole rust belt thing, just seems to fit. Baloney, by the way, makes a pretty good sandwich. ;D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:01 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Baloney has too much fat and salt in it, LOL! You just don't see the Confederate Flag bandied about here in Colorado. We weren't even a state back then. And I am referring mostly to Confederate Flag beach towels and the like. The rust belt industries were heavily unionized, some of them had quite extensive benefits including generous vacation time.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,935,043 times
Oh a good Baloney sandwich never hurt a body every once in a while! And i wouldn't expect to see the Confederate flag too much in Colorado...i think that should be obvious why not lol. Coming originally from Arkansas, i can say to all those from states that are not in the south that are wanna be hicks and have the confederate flag everywhere, you are confused! You aren't from the south friends! ;D;D;D

Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,290,211 times
There is an incredible difference between these two areas of the country and anybody who doesn't know that didn't grow up in and doesn't understand the midwest. I'll just say that the midwest did not have ancestors whose mentality it was to think that having slaves was the proper way of life. Big difference in mentality and I'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,750,363 times
Most southerners could not afford slaves before the Civil War and from what I've heard (although I don't know any place online to find it), 60,000 free black soldiers actually fought for the Confederacy. It's not like all southerners had slaves. And the reason the war started was that the south was making cotton and the north had factories and gained most of the profit from selling the goods.

And northern cities had discrimination as well. In fact, even in northern cities whites were angry at blacks for taking their jobs. The fact is, during the Civil War all of the country had discrimination, it's just that some had more obvious and deep discrimination than others.

The Confederate flag can just be a sign that you're proud of being southern. It's not automatically a racist symbol. However, it is offer taken that way.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,997,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Most southerners could not afford slaves before the Civil War and from what I've heard (although I don't know any place online to find it), 60,000 free black soldiers actually fought for the Confederacy. It's not like all southerners had slaves. And the reason the war started was that the south was making cotton and the north had factories and gained most of the profit from selling the goods.

And northern cities had discrimination as well. In fact, even in northern cities whites were angry at blacks for taking their jobs. The fact is, during the Civil War all of the country had discrimination, it's just that some had more obvious and deep discrimination than others.

The Confederate flag can just be a sign that you're proud of being southern. It's not automatically a racist symbol. However, it is offer taken that way.
I agree. I don't personally have a problem with the flag but there are many who do and I don't want to intentionally offend ANYONE.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
There is an incredible difference between these two areas of the country and anybody who doesn't know that didn't grow up in and doesn't understand the midwest. I'll just say that the midwest did not have ancestors whose mentality it was to think that having slaves was the proper way of life. Big difference in mentality and I'll just leave it at that.
You are so wrong! I grew up in Michigan. My family goes back to the early 1800's in the midwest area. I have ancestors in the family that were dyed to the core Klan members and much to my chagrin there is even a photo of my proud Great, Great Grandfather standing next to the Black guy he helped to hang. I just thank God that the stupidity stopped with him, and the rest of the family and his Sons and Daughters could see what a poison he carried in him and NOT follow in his footsteps. There were those in the Midwest that thought slavery was a very good idea and couldn't stand the thought of a free black man or woman.

I have lived in the Midwest most of my life, I have also spent a couple of years in the Dallas, Texas area. There are a lot of similarities with the people. One of which is the friendliness, along with a sense of community (in the smaller towns, both north and south). Of course there are differences as well, but if we constantly focus on what is different, then it is easy to not trust "them" and to spread false statements about our own section to make us "better" than "those other types." That can go for both North and South.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM

386 posts, read 1,687,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think this hard-working midwesterner stuff is a bunch of baloney. I don't think the midwesterners have any different of a work ethic than anywhere else in the country. I have lived in several regions of the US, not the south unless you count Maryland, and I was in college then and not working. But I have lived in the northeast (several places), the midwest, the mountain west, and California.

My kids were appalled when they saw Confederate flag paraphenalia (sp?) in the stores in N. Carolina. That is not something you see in Colorado, though you do see it in Pennsylvania.
I've seen plenty of confederate flags in Colorado. It's.....strange.

And midwesterners ARE hard-working. People here don't have everything handed to them on a silver spoon a la Colorado and are therefore forced to actually WORK for what they get. There's a real value of hard work here that you don't get in other places.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
I found people in the midwest and south to both be very nice. I guess I've found people out east and west to be nice too though!!

The one thing about the south that didn't sit well with me was that religion seemed to be shoved down your throat a little more than in the midwest. The midwest is a little more reserved in that sense, whereas in the south people would just talk openly about it assuming I would just naturally be religious.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
It's funny. The northeast is supposed to be the most money-grubbing area of the country (not that I agree with that). But the midwest is perceived as the most hard-working! Something doesn't fit! I have worked, as a nurse, in the east, midwest, and west. If you consider Delaware the south, which some do, I worked in the south, too. I did not detect any difference in work policies, or work ethic in any of these places. Any differences in work ethic had to do with individuals, not the area of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.