Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:55 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Austin has gotten pretty crowded (positive net migration) the past few years. Humidity is far worse than Southern California, which almost has no humidity. Austin itself prides itself on being "weird", but outside of Austin, is Texas, which surrounds it.
You just upset a lot of people with that last sentence.

And yes Austin is so much hotter than SoCal. Non-Texans have no idea how hot it is down there (outside of the panhandle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:06 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You just upset a lot of people with that last sentence.
It's pretty much Texas outside of Austin until you get to the next major city there. Big deal.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Seattle>Denver>Austin>Irvine

Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
I like Denver the best. I would never live in Seattle or OC, don't like the taxes or the high cost of living. Austin TX is an amazing city but it is too hot for me. I am thinking about moving from Nashville to Denver myself soon. I have enough money to live anywhere but Denver is a great city right now and its booming but not as fast as Austin or Seattle.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM

93 posts, read 130,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I guess Austin residents don't flock to the Barton Springs swimming hole and Lake Travis in summer, Denver's populace doesn't get out the skis and snowboards in winter, and Seattle folks don't take their boats out on the lakes and waterways in any season. And people outside the Bay Area offer less "social capital" for interactions and the development of children. What an interesting perspective ...
It's obvious that all of those places I listed are not pleasant to go outdoors for significant parts of the year. Yes, you snowboard nearby in Denver, that's great. Now what about the other 120 days of winter?

My original post was made to the San Jose forum, but mods moved it. It wasn't my intention to offend residents of other areas. But let's put it this way... I personally know several people who financed their small businesses / startups through loans / investment from their next door neighbors. There is exactly one area in the US where this can realistically happen, and it's not Austin, Denver or Seattle.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:14 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_mcmarbles View Post
It's obvious that all of those places I listed are not pleasant to go outdoors for significant parts of the year. Yes, you snowboard nearby in Denver, that's great. Now what about the other 120 days of winter?
Have you ever spent any extended time whatsoever in Denver?

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-12-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 8,775 times
I know the West Coast is close to family -- but you have considered the East Coast?

The Raleigh/Durham area may not stack up compared to some of the other places you mentioned in terms of the tech scene, but there are definitely great companies. Remember -- you only need 1 job at a time -- it's good to have a great ecosystem but if you are at the top of your field you will have your choice of opportunities at the best companies in any area. Many of the smaller towns around Raleigh/Durham are cute and walkable (although not big cities). Ditto for some of the of the areas in and around Atlanta and Charlotte.

It may be worth to expand your list to cities that have a few good companies and potential for good startups (San Diego, Raleigh, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, Provo, Santa Barbara) -- check those out, apply to some jobs, and see if you can find a city/job combo you're happy about.

You also might like Sacramento -- again not great for jobs, but has the California climate -- except for hot (though dry) summary, walkable areas close to town that are more affordable than coastal California, and it seems like it has some potential as a tech hub as it is a top destination for many people escaping the Bay Area COL.

Also, keep in mind remote jobs are only growing, my partner and I have worked remotely for 5+ years in tech and I don't worry too much about staying remote in the future (although it is MUCH better to transition from a high paying city job to remote so you keep your salary, pure remote tech salaries are good enough to live comfortably in 90% of the country, but it's even better to keep the high salary.)

This choice is so hard because you're choosing the type of life you want to live. Do you or your spouse want high-powered careers or are you okay with well paying jobs at more boring companies? Do both of you want to work or do you prefer an area where you can live off a single income for a few years?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Austin summer is brutal. You need to experience it before you decide if you want to live there

Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
If weather is of high importance to you, Irvine. You could also look into Austin, there summers are bad but it doesn't get too cold. I don't think there's scorpions there.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
If weather is of high importance to you, Irvine. You could also look into Austin, there summers are bad but it doesn't get too cold. I don't think there's scorpions there.
I think Austin has scorpions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.