Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 06:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think the New Orleans central business district where the modern skyscrapers are located should count as a separate downtown from the French Quarter.
The neighborhoods abut each other and form a greater downtown. There's a clear line of demarcation (Canal st), but there's nothing actually separating the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
That's a little misleading. How do we know what the street layout looks like? I can post a bunch of skylines of DFW, but at closer look, they're scattered office parks along a freeway. Now I'm not suggesting Buckhead is exactly that, but simply posting a view of tall buildings doesn't say much about the street layout and how those buildings interact with the street.
When I lived in Buckhead (a highrise building directly behind Phipps Plaza), I had walking access to whatever I needed. The Buckhead and Lenox MARTA rail stations were a few minutes away. It certainly felt like nothing even remotely resembling an office park.
Point being, the Buckhead district can offer a suburban experience, but it can offer most any experience you want (except for rural, of course). It covers the northern fifth of the city's land area.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
How is Hollywood not in L.A.?
I always thought it was a separate city like Santa Monica. Oops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think the New Orleans central business district where the modern skyscrapers are located should count as a separate downtown from the French Quarter.
Technically the Quarter is downtown and the CBD is Uptown but they are generally both referred to as downtown now. They are also separated by one street, hard to say that's a second downtown rather than the CBD being an extension of downtown (French Quarter).

Old 05-12-2017, 07:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Technically the Quarter is downtown and the CBD is Uptown but they are generally both referred to as downtown now. They are also separated by one street, hard to say that's a second downtown rather than the CBD being an extension of downtown (French Quarter).
New Orleans has an interesting typology - more like European and Latin American cities - in that the existing city center was historically preserved, and the CBD-area was actually built. I can't think of anywhere else this was done, except in Philly to a limited extent, where the CBD is mostly limited to Logan Square in the NW quadrant of Center City, leaving much of the center of Center City pretty historically intact.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
New Orleans has an interesting typology - more like European and Latin American cities - in that the existing city center was historically preserved, and the CBD-area was actually built. I can't think of anywhere else this was done, except in Philly to a limited extent, where the CBD is mostly limited to Logan Square in the NW quadrant of Center City, leaving much of the center of Center City pretty historically intact.
Never thought about that but you're correct. Imagine if it were all preserved. New Orleans would look more like Havana or Buenos Aires.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
I thought most American cities have preserved their historic city centers, Boston has the north end, and Seattle has pioneer square, and I'm pretty sure that's the case with many more. Of course the French quarter is probably one of the best examples of this.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I thought most American cities have preserved their historic city centers, Boston has the north end, and Seattle has pioneer square, and I'm pretty sure that's the case with many more. Of course the French quarter is probably one of the best examples of this.
Not really. Most of them razed everything for skyscrapers and parking lots. Even in historically urban cities.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Some neighborhoods have preserved elements of their "greater downtown" - old urban largely residential neighborhoods within walking distance of the CBD. But in most cases the original downtown areas became totally obliterated by later development starting in the early 20th century.

In a lot of cities - particularly in the Rust Belt and the South - there's more or less a "ring of ruin" surrounding the CBD, so that the first intact neighborhoods you find are what back in the day would have been second-ring urban neighborhoods at best. If the city wasn't that large to begin with, it might go right to streetcar suburbia.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
How about Washington DC and Arlington, VA.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:08 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
How about Washington DC and Arlington, VA.
Do you mean Georgetown, and downtown Washington? Arlington isn't the historic area or the CBD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.