Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 PM

84 posts, read 112,808 times

Advertisements

What area do you think is best for weekend trips?

Boston has Maine (York, Camden, Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport), lakes of NH (so so to me, NH is rednecky), the north shore (rockport, gloucester, beverly, etc.), Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Newport R.I., the Berkshires, Vermont.

NYC has Hamptons, Fire Island, Shelter Island, New Paltz area, Adirondacks, Poconos, Amish country.

Boston seems to have a unique amount, though obviously neither region can match San Francisco's (monterey, big sur, tahoe, yosemite, napa, stinson, death valley)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:21 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
There's also the Catskills and Hudson Valley(towns) for NYC as well.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There's also the Catskills and Hudson Valley(towns) for NYC as well.
Along with Asbury Park, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City, Delaware Water Gap and Philadelphia.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Also the White Mountain for Boston

Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 AM

149 posts, read 153,745 times
Philadelphia rivals both, yet isn't included. Probably because the OP doesn't think it does.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I consider them fairly evenly matched. My bias is towards NY, but if you enjoy the outdoors, mountains and sea, as well as quaint rural hinterlands, you can't go wrong with either. And they are close enough together that nothing that one has over the other is completely out of the question for a long weekend.

And Phila. is really well located as well, especially with its proximity to the central Appalachians, D.C. and the shores of both NJ and the South.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
Having lived in both places (well, an hour from Boston), I have to go with Boston here. The variety and quality of weekend getaways is actually one of my favorite things about living in New England.

The premise of the question is a little wonky, though. There's a significant amount of overlap here. People in New York City can get to Newport, which is on the Boston list, faster than they can get to the Adirondacks -- so why is Newport only a Boston option?

I'm also not sure San Francisco is ahead of either of them.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:53 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Along with Asbury Park, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City, Delaware Water Gap and Philadelphia.
Even Cape May is not that far. Its like a 3 hour drive from NYC.

As someone else mentioned, most of the areas south of Boston, and even Vermont, are also accessible from NYC.

Imo Philly beats both, since its much more centrally located in the Boswash, but I'd say NYC > Boston here, just because its closer to Philly, so slightly more centrally located than Boston.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Even Cape May is not that far. Its like a 3 hour drive from NYC.

As someone else mentioned, most of the areas south of Boston, and even Vermont, are also accessible from NYC.

Imo Philly beats both, since its much more centrally located in the Boswash, but I'd say NYC > Boston here, just because its closer to Philly, so slightly more centrally located than Boston.

What roadtrips from philly are you thinking of?

Old 05-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Having lived in both places (well, an hour from Boston), I have to go with Boston here. The variety and quality of weekend getaways is actually one of my favorite things about living in New England.

The premise of the question is a little wonky, though. There's a significant amount of overlap here. People in New York City can get to Newport, which is on the Boston list, faster than they can get to the Adirondacks -- so why is Newport only a Boston option?

I'm also not sure San Francisco is ahead of either of them.
SF has Lake Tahoe, which is often regarded as the best ski destination in the world.

Napa, America's top wine country

Pebble Beach, the world's top golf destination

Yosemite, the world mecca of rock-climbing

Death Valley, the hottest place in the world, fwiw

Big Sur, Mt Tamalpais, Mt Diablo, Hills around Silicon Valley, Stinson Beach, Mendocino, Humboldt, Redwood Forest, Sequiao National Park.

That's unbeatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.