Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:40 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

I think the closest to this in eastern US would be Michigan's lakeshores. But thats not on the ocean :B Maybe somewhere on the NC coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:12 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
FWIW, I'll start this thread by saying that I know, and very much love the Great Lakes as much as any coastal region in the country (Upper MN, MI, WI, ON are SPECTACULAR).

But, what I was wondering about is this: Which strip or area of land in the Eastern US, along the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic, provides something the most similar to the rugged cliffs of Acadia. I know there isn't anywhere further south that quite matches it in this sense, but I was wondering if there were places further south that had a similar appeal, and that sort of "removed" feel that places like Acadia have. Places that I considered that might have it would be Padre Island National Seashore in TX, Gulf Islands National Seashore in FL, Cumberland Island National Seashore in GA, and Assateague Island National Seashore in MD. Which of these (or somewhere else) would you say is the best not so much for coastal "lounging" as in a beach resort type thing, but more for coastal hiking, and a rugged feel? Closer to FL would be better, ideal for a weekend trip, but, that isn't a requirement. Thanks all!
Your best bet would be in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in Canada. In some ways, Maine has more in common with those Maritime provinces then other parts of the US.

But keeping it in the East and South coasts of the USA.....

Cliffs - I literally have no idea where the furthest south cliffs go from Maine. If you are willing to count areas inland a bit, the Palisades plunge 300 to 500 feet down to the Hudson River, not far from the ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pa...udson_River%29

Bluffs (not counting sand dunes) - the furthest south I know of are bluffs left by the last ice age glacier. They can found on the New England islands, along much of the North Shore of Long Island where they can be 100 to 200 feet high, and other areas of Long Island and Staten Island.

Mohegan bluffs, Block Island, RI Discovering Block Island - Mohegan Bluffs | The Block Island Organics Blog
North Shore bluffs, Long Island, NY https://parks.ny.gov/parks/68/details.aspx
Princes Bay Lighthouse, Staten Island, NY Light House, Princes Bay.* Staten Island, N.Y. - Staten Island Museum

Rocky shores - the furthest south that I know of are in the NYC area, especially in the eastern Bronx and some small offshore islands. They continue with a mixture of rocky and sandy beaches all the way north to Maine. Massachusetts btw, has an excellent mixture of sandy and rocky beaches IMO.

Sand dunes
- most coastal states have them to my knowledge. Here on Long Island I think they can reach up to 100 feet high, I imagine that in places like North Carolina they might even be higher.

Jockey's Ridge State Park, North Carolina https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jockey...dge_State_Park

Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Thanks everyone! I welcome all suggestions, and really am just glad to get a better idea of places along the Atlantic Coast. Places don't have to be super rugged or super secluded, but one of the two would be nice. Cumberland Island, being in FL right looks like my best local option for coastal backpacking (about 4 hrs NE of where I currently reside) though I'm glad explore other spots as the time comes!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
There are going to be rocky cliffs along parts of the Atlantic Seaboard from Montauk, New York up through Maine. Places like

Martha's Vineyard, MA North Shore, Block Island, RI (pictured below):

But I can't think of anything as rugged or wild as the Maine coastline on the Atlantic or Gulf coasts.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 AM

822 posts, read 857,822 times
Jamestown ,RI

Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There are going to be rocky cliffs along parts of the Atlantic Seaboard from Montauk, New York up through Maine. Places like

Martha's Vineyard, MA North Shore, Block Island, RI (pictured below):
I love the way you can be at the north end of Block Island where the land is so flat that the beaches of the east shore and the west shore meet to form one beach that just gets narrower and narrower before petering away in the surf, then ride your bike to the south end of the island and stand atop the high, rugged cliffs overlooking the rough waters of the open Atlantic.

10 out of 10. Would live.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Not here in NJ. We've got lots of sandy beaches, but it's flat.

Except for the Highlands, where the Atlantic coast begins, but it's not Maine.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:48 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Calvert Cliffs in Maryland

http://www.fossilguy.com/sites/calve...s_mainpage.jpg

Old 05-11-2017, 06:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Awesome, I had no idea Maryland had coast like this. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:37 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Great shares guys! Block Island, and Calvert Cliffs. Was not aware of either, but plan to visit both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.