Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 AM

52 posts, read 62,728 times

Advertisements

I am a single person with a degree that allows me to find work easily anywhere. I am considering leaving the south but not sure where I want to go. I have narrowed the choices down to these cities.

My desire is to live in an ethnically diverse urban setting, whether it's studio or small house, the most important thing I want it's a city with good public transportation and walkable. I hate driving.

Which one would best fit me?
  1. Saint Louis MO
  2. Minneapolis MN
  3. Milwaukee WI
  4. Cleveland OH
  5. Cincinnati OH
  6. Pittsburgh PA

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
I can't speak for the other cities, but I take the bus a lot in Minneapolis, and if you live in the the city itself in one of the more walkable neighborhoods, it's probably possible to live car-free. I take the bus/light rail frequently, but still have a car. If your job isn't in the core or close off of the bus/train line you live on, it could be pretty difficult, and if your job is in the suburbs, you'll need a car. The other issue, is some of the urban, walkable neighborhoods served very well by transit can be more expensive, and you didn't give any info about your expected budget.

Regular-route buses typically come every 10-20 min during the day and 20-30 min later at night. They also don't run all night, so if you're out late, you'd need to Uber or Lyft.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:15 AM

87 posts, read 79,666 times
Try a small island, if not SPM

Old 05-12-2017, 08:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
But which one on the list is a small island?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:41 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
All of those are to some degree walkable...but I'd say only look at St. Louis, Cleveland, and Minneapolis if you want to completely live without a car. Minneapolis would be the easiest. Cities like Cincinnati are urban in parts, but you still need a car.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
I can't speak for the other cities, but I take the bus a lot in Minneapolis, and if you live in the the city itself in one of the more walkable neighborhoods, it's probably possible to live car-free. I take the bus/light rail frequently, but still have a car. If your job isn't in the core or close off of the bus/train line you live on, it could be pretty difficult, and if your job is in the suburbs, you'll need a car. The other issue, is some of the urban, walkable neighborhoods served very well by transit can be more expensive, and you didn't give any info about your expected budget.

Regular-route buses typically come every 10-20 min during the day and 20-30 min later at night. They also don't run all night, so if you're out late, you'd need to Uber or Lyft.
What I've found in Minneapolis is that the buses are usually on time, more so than in many other cities. And of course you have the light rail lines as well. The city is also very compact. If your job is in the city, it's easy.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
I am a single person with a degree that allows me to find work easily anywhere. I am considering leaving the south but not sure where I want to go. I have narrowed the choices down to these cities.

My desire is to live in an ethnically diverse urban setting, whether it's studio or small house, the most important thing I want it's a city with good public transportation and walkable. I hate driving.

Which one would best fit me?
  1. Saint Louis MO
  2. Minneapolis MN
  3. Milwaukee WI
  4. Cleveland OH
  5. Cincinnati OH
  6. Pittsburgh PA

Thanks a lot!
Out of the cities on your list, Pittsburgh has the highest mass transit utilization. 2015 commuting totals by mass transit (city limits)

Pittsburgh: 17.0% (65% by car)
Minneapolis: 13.1% (69.6% by car)
Cleveland: 10.3% (79.9% by car)
St. Louis: 9.4% (80.9% by car)
Milwaukee: 8.6% (81.6% by car)
Cincinnati: 7.8% (72% by car)

Mind you, cities with more suburban-style neighborhoods within city limits will tend to come across worse in this manner, and Pittsburgh's East End essentially being a giant college town within the city certainly helps. But Pittsburgh has, for a city of its size, a very well utilized transit system.

That doesn't mean the transit system is perfect of course. With the exception of a downtown subway which links to light rail in the South Hills, a couple of BRT lines, and the inclines on Mount Washington, Pittsburgh relies on surface bus routes. These do tend to be widely used by people of all income levels however, unlike some cities where only the poor use buses. Still, if you live anywhere in the city, you can get a bus to downtown, and if you live anywhere in the East End, you can get a bus to Oakland (the main university hub). I think having a bike helps too, although the city's biking infrastructure is still in development.

While I have owned a car while living here, in the 12 years since I moved here I have never driven to work once (I work downtown) I either take the bus in bad weather, or I ride my bike when the weather is nice. I'll admit that I don't really use the bus much for off-peak travel, but you don't absolutely need a car for things like socialization and random shopping trips if you live in a walkable area, are okay with off-peak schedules being infrequent, and supplement your transportation with biking and rideshare.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:14 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Minneapolis seems like the best choice but I wouldn't want to be car free in any of them. Cleveland sounds like it would be ok as well.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 AM

102 posts, read 124,042 times
Why not Chicago? Diverse - check. Walkable - check. Good transit - check. Obviously weather isn't an issue for you given your other choices.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
I don't have a car living in Chicago and it is quite easy, but I would definitely buy a car if I moved to one of the cities on your list. I grew up in St. Louis and there's no way to live there without a car unless you are practically a shut in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.