Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
By metropolitan area Phoenix and Minneapolis aren't too far off:

Phoenix = 4.04 million

Minneapolis = 3.18 million
i guess i just feel that almost 1 million people is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 AM

108 posts, read 341,327 times
I don't know of any areas in US where white people are treated badly. I know there are areas in big cities that are not safe (gangs, drugs, etc) and many of these areas are those where white people don't belong.

I would start with the list of universities you are interested in and go from there - every city with population of 100 000+ people has good and bad areas. There are many other important factors - cost of living, how necessary it is to have a vehicle, etc. etc.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM

287 posts, read 350,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I am about to complete formalities at last for entering USA. I'm going to study in the States for about 4 or 5 years.
Which would be the best(with good university, weather etc) middle sized city(100'000-500'000) where the majority of population(90% or more) is white English speaking people and where the lowest crime rate is?
It is not at all that I don't like other races but I've heard that white folks sometimes are not well treated in some areas in U.S.

Thanks for your opinions,
papa.

Your fears are understandable because you are not from the U.S., but your fear is really, well... irrational. Being in a city that is not 90% white or more doesn't mean a thing. There are several places you can live that the races mix without issue. I live in the metro-east suburbs of St. Louis in Illinois (Fairview Heights, Belleville, Shiloh, O'Fallon). They are racially diverse (not extremely racially diverse, but still, diverse) and you will not have a problem here. There is a city named East St. Louis in Illinois that you could possibly run in to some problems, but other than that, cities that you would not be treated well because of being white are few and far between.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 PM

287 posts, read 350,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
I really didn't need an explanation, I got it...I just said it was an interesting slant considering the history of white people in this country...ooops I said it again.
I take offense to this statement, just as you would if I said

"I wouldn't suggest you live around [insert minority here]...they are mostly gang members and drug dealers."

Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSnow View Post
I don't know of any areas in US where white people are treated badly. I know there are areas in big cities that are not safe (gangs, drugs, etc) and many of these areas are those where white people don't belong.

I would start with the list of universities you are interested in and go from there - every city with population of 100 000+ people has good and bad areas. There are many other important factors - cost of living, how necessary it is to have a vehicle, etc. etc.
Since when are there areas in US cities where any people "don't belong"?? I thought we got over that segregation thing 40 years ago.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I am about to complete formalities at last for entering USA. I'm going to study in the States for about 4 or 5 years.
Which would be the best(with good university, weather etc) middle sized city(100'000-500'000) where the majority of population(90% or more) is white English speaking people and where the lowest crime rate is?
It is not at all that I don't like other races but I've heard that white folks sometimes are not well treated in some areas in U.S.

Thanks for your opinions,
papa.
Would you also be interested in an area that is heavy with European immigrants that are in your position (I know it would also be nice to meet some other Latvians or other Eastern Europeans that have just come here).

According to Wikipedia ( a great source I know) California, New York, and Illinois have the greatest amount of Latvians.

Mid sized cities with European immigrants can be found in Connecticut, Illinois, and New York. You may find some mid sized white cities there (you'll most likely find them in a suburban area). Good luck though!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Madison, WI beautiful lakes, clean city with lots to do!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Madison, WI beautiful lakes, clean city with lots to do!
I was just about to say Madison. It has University of Wisconsin which is a great school.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
If you are still interested I would suggest staying in Europe and attending University there. Even acknowledging race exists is enough to be branded a racist, opening the door to be osterized and tormented. As you can see, by even by asking for a mostly white city, you've received the ire of a number of posters.

Personally, if I were you, I'd go to a nice western European country to study. I would hate to see you dragged into this oppressive, politically correct nightmare because no one had the guts to tell you otherwise.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Minorities have better things to do then to bother some dude from another country. .

Minorities never do anything harmful to anyone based upon their race because they have better things to do. Gotcha.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.