Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 AM

12,891 posts, read 9,632,333 times

Advertisements

You get really heavy Texan accents in a lots of parts of Texas, even Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You get really heavy Texan accents in a lots of parts of Texas, even Houston and Dallas.
Even within DFW, you'll get different "Texan sounding" accents, depending what neighborhood or town you're in...

Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM

12,891 posts, read 9,632,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Even within DFW, you'll get different "Texan sounding" accents, depending what neighborhood or town you're in...
Yep. A little Cletus in one part of the metro, a bit of Jethro in another.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:12 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,747,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Is NY-NJ-CT not full of different sounding accents?
Yes. Even north jersey and south jersey are very different which is probably the biggest change in a short distance I've heard. Someone mentioned Boston and Providence but they both sound quite similar but Prov has more of a NYC influence I guess you could say?. North jersey (around NYC area) sounds basically like the NYC accent most people know but south jersey is where you can start hearing the southern accent coming into play which took me by complete surprise when I lived there for a year.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep. A little Cletus in one part of the metro, a bit of Jethro in another.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of: "A little Cletus in one part of the metro, a bit of Badu in another."

Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,073,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
In New Orleans you hear the yat accent, then in Metairie, which borders the city, you don't hear it at all unless the person is from New Orleans.
Yeah, it's hard to beat New Orleans, where there's arguably four accents (Yat, AAVE, Uptown, and standard southern). Plus the Cajun accent isn't spoken all that far away from the city.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 PM

7,741 posts, read 6,491,273 times
I imagine Missouri to be a good contender with the southern half sounding more like Arkansas and the northern part sounding more like Iowa. Somewhere south of the middle there's gotta be a sudden change. Or maybe its more gradual? Idk but I noticed that when I reach Florence, Kansas, there's no southern influence in the Kansas accent, not that there's a strong one to begin with. Its a pretty clear change between Oklahoma and Kansas in terms of dialect.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,229,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Yes. Even north jersey and south jersey are very different which is probably the biggest change in a short distance I've heard. Someone mentioned Boston and Providence but they both sound quite similar but Prov has more of a NYC influence I guess you could say?. North jersey (around NYC area) sounds basically like the NYC accent most people know but south jersey is where you can start hearing the southern accent coming into play which took me by complete surprise when I lived there for a year.
I just mentioned in another thread how some of the rural parts of South Jersey can be kind of rednecky. It's very different from North Jersey.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,713,391 times
Wisconsin and Minnesota. Southern and metro areas have a little bit of the accent. Get even 50 miles north into the Northwoods it sounds like the movie Fargo.

Even within the Twin Cities metro - the northern burbs and counties sound totally different than the south and west metro.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,870,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Wisconsin and Minnesota. Southern and metro areas have a little bit of the accent. Get even 50 miles north into the Northwoods it sounds like the movie Fargo.

Even within the Twin Cities metro - the northern burbs and counties sound totally different than the south and west metro.

Agree. Also, if you drive northwest from Milwaukee, or northwest from Madison, quickly you go from a typical midwestern "normalspeak" to sounding like they are Canadian.

Specifically in Madison the speak is quite average, then go 40 miles over to Baraboo, and it's a major difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.