Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:42 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
What areas of our country has had the most cultural changes and/or shifts in the last 50 years? (accent, food, religion, demographics ect..)
The central North Carolina metropolitan areas of Charlotte, Triad and the Triangle. The pace of life has definitely changed within the past 10-15 years, so has development, population growth, diverse groups of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
The central North Carolina metropolitan areas of Charlotte, Triad and the Triangle. The pace of life has definitely changed within the past 10-15 years, so has development, population growth, diverse groups of people.
Not so much in the Triad, but definitely in Charlotte and the Triangle which have been experiencing very rapid growth.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
NC might as well be a northern state or the East Coast's Arizona. I don't even consider the Southeast part of the true South. The Delta region is the only area left with southern charm.
You can't be serious. You're obviously very unfamiliar with the Southeast outside of the core of the larger metro areas.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
New Mexico.

In less than a hundred years, its minority has virtually completely taken over and one only hears a foreign language here for the most part.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Mexico.

In less than a hundred years, its minority has virtually completely taken over and one only hears a foreign language here for the most part.
Well it did originally belong to them, hence the name.

But given the name of your location...well...

Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Ever heard of a little subculture called the hippies? Sure, in the hindsight of a half century, it seems quaint, but what they did over at Berkeley, Haight-Asbury, Monterrey, and other "hip" spots really was quite a shift compared to the more classically glamorous 1950s/early '60s. Sure, its a lot more Hispanic/Asian and a little less black/white, but California is still California, just with a fresh look for each wave of youth, and was basically a purple state leaning blue back then. Now if you compared 1917 to 1967, then California would probably be the winner thanks to Hollywood, the aerospace boom, the popularization of car culture, and the WWII support for the Pacific Theater.

I'd say Texas, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, the eastern half of Tennessee, the Pac NW, Arizona, Nevada, and DC/Virginia win this, with NYC not far behind as is expected for a juggernaut. These were just starting to be seen as future hotspots, and is a prime example of how technology made the country/world smaller. The south was barely out of the Jim Crow era 50 years ago for goodness sakes, and much of it resembles what the rest of America outside most of the Midwest was about a generation ago, with more neutral accents.

The Midwest (outside of the largest cities), Alaska, and rural deep south loses.
I would say the Bay Area has always been very progressive. SoCal is another story. It leaned red through the 1980s (they called it the land of Nixon and Reagan for a reason). Los Angeles went blue first and then San Diego. Orange County, a long time symbol of affluent Republicanism, has now become Democratic. Today there isn't much of a cultural divide between SoCal and the Bay Area. It's now more coastal vs inland California.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:18 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
The nostalgia I hear about the older Florida before the rapid development came saddens me and I wish that I could have seen it back then.
You can. Visit rural Georgia.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say the Bay Area has always been very progressive. SoCal is another story. It leaned red through the 1980s (they called it the land of Nixon and Reagan for a reason). Los Angeles went blue first and then San Diego. Orange County, a long time symbol of affluent Republicanism, has now become Democratic. Today there isn't much of a cultural divide between SoCal and the Bay Area. It's now more coastal vs inland California.
That is inaccurate. Although the county went blue in last year's election by a few percentage points, it's obvious that that was somewhat of an anomaly. All six countywide elected officers in OC are Republican, all five members of the county's Board of Supervisors are Republican, and four of the six elected officials overseeing the county Department of Education are Republican (including the superintendent). OC is still very much a Republican stronghold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange...nia#Government
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange...ornia#Politics

Old 06-03-2017, 01:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it did originally belong to them, hence the name.

The minority I was referring to was Anglo-American and the language I was referring to is English. So I am confused as to what you are referring to with "them".

Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I grew up in Connecticut, and I really disagree with the bolded point. With the exception of the infill in downtown Stamford, I don't think any city in Connecticut has urbanized over the last 50 years to a significant extent. In general, the cities are less urban, with a lot more of their traditional built fabric lost to parking lots or simple urban decay.
The urbanization of the towns immediately surrounding the traditional cities is what I'm getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.