Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 PM

992 posts, read 874,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I think when most people think of "California" they think of La Jolla/Coastal San Diego, Coastal Orange County, West Hollywood, Santa Barbara, West La, Malibu/Pacific Palisades, Lake Tahoe and then San Francisco. If you don't factor in cost of living (which is a big if), natural disasters or traffic then these places in California would rank very highly for many people.

However, South County San Diego, Bakersfield, San Jose, Fresno, Stockton, San Bernardino/Riverside, Santa Ana, Modesto, the nondescript Los Angeles boomburbs and the vast majority of inland California isn't very appealing to me in the least bit.
Well sure, but the vast majority of anywhere isn't very appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
California is definitely one of the better ones, but the cost of living does get in the way...

The New England states, in general, are pretty solid, as is Minnesota, which has always had very high quality-of life stats...

Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Depends on what for. California is definitely not the best place to raise a family, although that depends on where in California. It is an ideal place for wealthy 20 somethings. It is a terrible place to be poor. It is a great place for people who like nothing but warm/hot sunny days. Terrible place for people who like weather and seasons.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:27 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Uh no, not a chance. Too many people, too many far left loons, too expensive, too dirty, too violent. So many place are better to live in than California IMO. Climate is the only thing in California's favor if you ask me.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 AM

20 posts, read 18,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
What criteria are you using to get to say that California is the best state ? Is it for living, work, business, education, safety, wildlife, natural beauty, fishing, hunting, homes, seasons, taxes, entertainment?

I think that everyone has there own opinions on what they like. There are some people that like Colorado because of the mountains, New York because of the city, Texas because of the low cost of living, Florida because of the beaches and weather.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I moved here from New York 25 years ago. After a two-year detour to Missouri, I moved back to CA.

I love it here. and t's getting even better now that all the cranky, selfish libertarians are leaving!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
There is no "one best state" in the US. Every single state has it's own particular beauty, draw, charm, etc. Different bites for different likes.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
If you making almost $100,000 a year or more you can move to California.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:29 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Taking into consideration the cost of living and general standard of life. If it is not, then which state/s would you consider better?
California has a lot going for it but if you only consider COL and living standards I would not rank it in the top ten. I go there to visit but not to live. It largely depends on where you live...it's a big state. My guess is that there are places in northern California that might appeal to me on some level.

It all depends on what you want and what you can live without. I can live without the ocean but not the western mountains. I want dry and bright days and a near perfect four season climate. I want cultural diversity and social harmony. I want drop dead scenery and a sense of history. I don't want to fight crowds of people or sit in hour-long traffic jams. I'm retired so a low COL is important. I'm liberal-minded and favor a more liberal political climate. I found all of that in New Mexico, a state that based on statistics alone (for you number crunchers) looks like a place to avoid. That's good...don't come here...we do fine with 2 million people.

I was looking for retirement spots and there were pluses and minuses for most places. I liked the western slope of Colorado around Grand Junction, Grand Mesa and Montrose. Some folks like parts of Utah like Park City or Cedar City. Winters were too long for me north of Colorado and summers too hot and long in Arizona -- except for northern Arizona which I liked. I didn't consider Nevada but I know people living in Reno who like it. Texas was never on my list. I was escaping heat and humidity so the south and Midwest were out from the start. I like to visit New England and the Carolina coast but not live there.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
If you making almost $100,000 a year or more you can move to California.
Per person maybe with two or more incomes in the household. A single person can do OK on $100K as long as they do not mind living in a small apartment or condo - not near the beach. If you are going to stay/buy a house, you need a lot more than $100,000 K per year. Or you can live way inland or along parts of the Central coast inland parts) or the extreme north where there are few people and things are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.