Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 PM

214 posts, read 332,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Well, it's all subjective -- the states you're interested in aren't near the top of my list because I'm more attracted to civilization than I am to wide-open spaces. Because you're from one of the most densely populated parts of the world, I understand why places like Wyoming and Montana hold so much appeal to you. But they're not really my thing.

A few people have mentioned Massachusetts as one of the best states, and I agree with that. It often ends up near the top of those lists. New York is also up there, what with the greatest city in the U.S. and a lot of other great areas, too, which a lot of people from outside the U.S. don't even know about.

I've been to 38 states and I've found things to like about all of them. Except Nebraska -- sorry, Nebraska.
Cities like New York and London are just so bloody busy though, and there's only ever one pace - 100mph. I can understand the appeal of the city, the hustle and bustle is great and many places are open all night. I don't mind being around people, but in cities it can be too much and apart from parks, there's zero places to just go and chill in tranquility. Would you say you prefer city life then? Massachusetts is mainly cities isn't it? The main city I know of is Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM

314 posts, read 371,362 times
California is hands down also the most underrated state. One looks at Northern California (think Eureka and Redding) and Southwest California (think Palm Springs and Indo) and realizes how undeveloped these regions are. Eureka has the potential to be the next Seattle of California. Indio has potential to be the next Phoenix.

California is easily the best state in the land. No other state has the landscape, weather and potential California has.

On a side note, NY's days are numbered; LA will overtake NY as the First City.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:49 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,159,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Cities like New York and London are just so bloody busy though, and there's only ever one pace - 100mph. I can understand the appeal of the city, the hustle and bustle is great and many places are open all night. I don't mind being around people, but in cities it can be too much and apart from parks, there's zero places to just go and chill in tranquility. Would you say you prefer city life then? Massachusetts is mainly cities isn't it? The main city I know of is Boston.
I do prefer city life, but like most people, I like getting out to the country sometimes. And Massachusetts offers all of the above.

Boston itself is a really great city -- I was talking to someone from Northern Ireland once and he compared it to a mini-London. Walkable, historic, great architecture, oriented around a river and with lots of well-integrated green space. But the state's other larger cities aren't really anything to write home about. Where it excels is in small towns. The area north of Boston has a bunch incredibly well-preserved villages, particularly along the coast, that are full of charm and history. Out west in the Pioneer Valley, you've got beautiful scenery and sophisticated towns. The Berkshires are a popular region for tourism as well. And Cape Cod is one of the most beloved destinations in the Northeastern U.S., with miles and miles of beaches, seafood and recreation options. None of those are urban experiences.

Don't get me wrong, Massachusetts is still densely populated. It sure ain't Wyoming. But it's easy to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:05 PM

765 posts, read 905,072 times
Between California and Washington.
If it weren't for the cost of living, California would win for me.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,507,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
California is hands down also the most underrated state. One looks at Northern California (think Eureka and Redding) and Southwest California (think Palm Springs and Indo) and realizes how undeveloped these regions are. Eureka has the potential to be the next Seattle of California. Indio has potential to be the next Phoenix.

California is easily the best state in the land. No other state has the landscape, weather and potential California has.

Umm...how is California underrated? And then "most underrated" at that. That's just ridiculous. It's easily the most popular state. People don't think about the COL or high taxes or traffic jams with California, they still have that prestigious, wealthy, Hollywood/wine valley/Golden Gate, scenic image. California was so popular with one poll that 1 out of every 5 participants named Cali their favorite.

If you went and polled a bunch of current high schoolers who don't live in California, and asked what state they'd run off and move to after school if they had the money...most would likely say California. I would too.

California is not underrated, but it is overrated if you stop thinking about the high life and think about normal, middle class life. California is definitely the best state in image, but not the best state in reality. This is coming from someone whos wanted to move to LA since forever.

As for NYC being passed...lol come on now. NYC will always be "America's city." The is no other city like New York. The only way NYC's days would be "numbered" is if melting glaciers end up drowning the city.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,543,985 times
No, in my opinion, it's far from it. California is a great state, and certainly a fantastic place to visit with so much to offer. I've never been but only because there's so many other states that attract me more so, mostly in the north, but its definitely somewhere I'll visit in the future. But there's so many things in my opinion, that keep it from being the best. Number 1, I find it very overrated. There's a difference between overrated and popular, mind you. I'd say New York City is popular but not that overrated (overinflated by New Yorkers, perhaps ) but Los Angeles and much of California, I'd say are overrated and very popular.

Number 2, its really expensive and crowded. I can't stand DFW traffic jams I can't imagine LA traffic jams. Its also very pricy, not just in terms of general cost but also taxes.

Number 3, its a bit too liberal for my taste. Now I'm no far right conservative but I'd rather a centre right or centre left or somewhere more libertarian than the politisphere of California. There's too many regulations there. In some ways its great, when it comes to protecting the environment, in other ways, it seems to limiting on personal freedom.

Number 4, crime and a lot of illegal immigrants. Parts of California have gang problems, which to my understanding were far worse in the 80s and 90s but its still an issue. Of course I won't peg this on California simply being California, after all when you have so much people in one state, you're likely to develop crime pockets. But that goes again to the high population. Just way too many people.

Then there's things that are just subjective like weather, scenery, things to do. The weather I like does not exist in California. I like four distinct seasons. Even the mountainous parts of California don't it for me as I don't just want snow, I want plenty of rain and more humidity. If you love dry mild weather, California's more for you. I like climates more like in the northern US and southern Canada, and the vegetation that goes with it.

For me personally, the "Best state" is one that balances affordable cost of living, with high wages, high quality of life, pretty low crime and a clean environment. To me, these states are located in the far north, near Canada. Minnesota's my favourite and it usually scores very high in many categories. The winters though extreme, are a positive as they keep it from being overcrowded and limit the certain kinds of people that move there. I grew up in Florida, we get all kinds of people with no aspirations, no positive contributions, who just come from up north down south, and bring with them crime and drug problems. I've read so many cases online of people who moved to Florida with this literal mindset (this is actually from a Reddit post I read) "We moved from NY with no jobs or an apartment. We just wanted to go and see live life..." they then talked about how they did all kinds of weird drugs after arriving there and then bashed the state and complained about things. Now this doesn't represent everyone moving to the Sunshine State, but there's no shortage of burn outs who move down only for the weather and beaches, and become a nuisance to society, either. Trust me, I've seen it first hand. Cold places eliminate that problem. I feel the climate inspires more people to work and be productive, and not just loiter under a beach overpass and panhandle people for money.

Massachusetts is another state I would love to, if not live in, spend a lot of time there. They rank superbly in education and though they have their share of ills (as does everywhere) they seem to be on top of their game. New Hampshire also ranks high in quality of life.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Also, thanks for not making this a "California is totally the best state and states like Texas are boring and sucky and too conservative blah blah blah dont' you agree?" thread. There's been too many troll threads like that, which gives Californians a bad reputation.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Umm...how is California underrated? And then "most underrated" at that. That's just ridiculous. It's easily the most popular state. People don't think about the COL or high taxes or traffic jams with California, they still have that prestigious, wealthy, Hollywood/wine valley/Golden Gate, scenic image. California was so popular with one poll that 1 out of every 5 participants named Cali their favorite.

If you went and polled a bunch of current high schoolers who don't live in California, and asked what state they'd run off and move to after school if they had the money...most would likely say California. I would too.

California is not underrated, but it is overrated if you stop thinking about the high life and think about normal, middle class life. California is definitely the best state in image, but not the best state in reality. This is coming from someone whos wanted to move to LA since forever.

As for NYC being passed...lol come on now. NYC will always be "America's city." The is no other city like New York. The only way NYC's days would be "numbered" is if melting glaciers end up drowning the city.

I agree. Even the underrated parts of California don't compare to how underrated Oregon or Idaho are. Oregon's underrated except by people who actually been there. Sadly there's complain it's getting a bit too popular these days!

Old 05-16-2017, 03:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,482,161 times
Quote:

I dont get how California is underrated.It seems like the media is always pushing it on the rest of the country.I think New Mexico is one of the more underrated states.I think CA is overrated,personally.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,240,569 times
I love California, but nightlife is important to me. It's a huge part of my life right now. Nightlife in California is extremely lacking due to its early last call laws. So it loses a lot of points for me there unfortunately. It's still easily one of my favorite States though.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.