Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM

94 posts, read 130,279 times

Advertisements

Yes, 80s are "unbearably" hot for those who dont like hot weather at all. I dread outdoor activities when its above 75. Winters (in california) are the best. Nice and cool but still sun is shining. Summer is my least favorite. With many days in the 80s and some days in the 90s and even 100s.. yuck. And my friend lived in glendale AZ and is always posting and sharing the weather there. Its very hot in summer. I could never live there. If anyone wants to debate that just look at how the land has almost no ability to grow flowers/green grass. When I visit I just see dirt, rocks, cactuses for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
Yes, 80s are "unbearably" hot for those who dont like hot weather at all. I dread outdoor activities when its above 75. Winters (in california) are the best. Nice and cool but still sun is shining. Summer is my least favorite. With many days in the 80s and some days in the 90s and even 100s.. yuck. And my friend lived in glendale AZ and is always posting and sharing the weather there. Its very hot in summer. I could never live there. If anyone wants to debate that just look at how the land has almost no ability to grow flowers/green grass. When I visit I just see dirt, rocks, cactuses for the most part.
Which part do you visit? I live in Central Phoenix, and there is tons of grass and flowers and palm and citrus trees in my neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And to avoid 80°, that limits you to the immediate west coast, or generally mountain areas above 7,000ft elevation

Old 06-07-2017, 06:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
And to avoid 80°, that limits you to the immediate west coast, or generally mountain areas above 7,000ft elevation
To avoid 80 degrees and above, the elevation has to rise to about 10000 ft. And even then I have been at least another thousand ft higher than that and it was 80-something. Granted, that is unusual, but not so unusual below 10000.

The combination of features desired doesn't exist in the US.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Americans are weather wimps. I am not a huge fan of hot weather or humidity but you get used to it. I used to live in Boston, it was freezing cold in the winter and I survived. Nashville is super hot and humid in the summer but I survive and thrive. You adjust to your city after a while.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not in terms of weather.
I meant in terms of all the wackos out there.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:13 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Here is Colo Spgs we've been hovering around the 70s for the last several weeks. We are supposed to hit the 90s this weekend.

Leadville CO, at 10,152' of elevation will be in the mid 70s this weekend. That will probably be just enough to wipe at the last remaining vestiges of snow they have sitting around. Housing in Leadville is very affordable, but the retail employment stinks. Similarly, winter is about 8 months long up there so driving in snow is a daily activity. But it never gets sweltering hot. Despite the lower temps, rapid sunburn is a very real risk when you are two miles high.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Is there any place with san fran sort of weather without the san fran rent prices?
If this is THAT important to you then you may need to look outside of the US. The closest match I could find is Bordeaux, France but it' still not a perfect match. It's slightly cooler than SF in the winter (but probably not cold enough for snow) and is considerably warmer in the summer (like low 80s in july and august.) It's probably similar to the climate in silicon valley.

While France isn't known as a low cost of living country, it's still gonna be much cheaper than SF for sure. You may have issues being able to live there long term unless you're employed in a company that's willing to relocate you there.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Is there any place with san fran sort of weather without the san fran rent prices? Most days are in the 60s which is my perfect weather, but it so overpriced their. Even the states I look into that get cold in winter (like 10 or 15 degrees) or get a lot of snow (10 to 15 inches each month in spring ) seems to have summer days in the 80s and 90s... yuck. I know some people look forward to that weather but not me. Even oregon, with many overcast days most of the year ( which would be perfect minus having so much constant rain ) is having days in the 80s and 90s right now... and its not even summer yet. There must be more than one place out there that has those nice cool summer temps without the san fran price tag. Im not a city girl so I wouldnt be happy in san fran, aside from the perfect weather. Not into traffic and homeless beggars and drug addicts on the street corners. Experienced that in Portland, Seattle, and LA and its not for me. Dallas was surprising decent when I went, but of course its so hot there. Just looking for a mix of rural (nature) and suburbs ( safe, some stores nearby). Does this exist without having to pay 800,000 for a house? I work in Mortgage right now and watch all these people buying homes for like $150K but of course its in these states with horrible humidity or hurricanes or something awful like that.
Maybe Brookings, OR or Crescent City, CA?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:52 AM

94 posts, read 130,279 times
Ive been looking at Ashland OR and Salem OR. Ashland is beautiful, had surprisingly low rain for OR, seems like there is hiking and deers (my cup of tea). But the unemployment rate was crazy high. The average age was 40+ so maybe most of the people living their are retired? It would be not a far drive from CA, another bonus. The main things Im looking for is nature and cool weather. Hiking opportunities, critters to marvel at, and temps 30-75 most of the year. Of course being able to find a job helps!! And not being stabbed on my way home from work would be nice... so an overall safe place. I hate traffic and smog and crack heads so not a big city. Rural or suburbs are best or something in between. I like salem because in july/august I could drive to lincoln city for the beach. Salem also seemed really pretty. Nice parks, cherry blossom trees. Home prices were not crazy high. Weather seemed to be decent, but more rain than ashland. Seemed like average age was decent so maybe I could actually meet some people in my age range. Still the employment rates seem high compared to the 2-3% where I live now. But I guess thats because no one can afford to retire here in Orange County, CA! A one bedroom is $1700 :/ as far as jobs go Im currently working for a mortgage company (some people keep saying there are no retail jobs here). I havent done any retail work in years but I do have previous retail management experience. But more currently I have years of office customer service experience. I was a customer service manager for an office job for 8 years. Then when I got laid off I did data entry for a popular music company. Jobs here pay $15-$25 doing what I do. I assume they would be less in CO or OR since cost of living is less. Ive been watching the weather everyday and its been in the 90s in CO. Might not be able to do CO summers, even tho the rest of the year would probably work fine. I get sick when its too hot. My body just cant handle it. I am in the middle of a disability claim for some medical issues. If I do get disability then the jobs wont be a deciding factor anymore in what areas I can move to. I will probably just look for a simple part time job in that case. But if my case is denied I do need an area with jobs. Office customer service preferred. But Im open to other options. My friend who lives in vegas quit her full time job to start a pet sitting and dog walking company and could not be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.