Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,822 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Life circumstances recently changed drastically- I am a student in school right now in Michigan, but I may be dropping out in the next few months. I know, I know bad idea. I'd be leaving with VERY little debt (if any) no obligations to kids/family, just me myself and I. Don't wanna stay in MI and have no reason to.

Anyways, I plan on eventually going back to school, though it may be for cosmetology not a degree. In the mean time, I'm going to work and save until that is feasible, by feasible, I mean until I am good and stationed somewhere I want to settle.

I'm not looking to be nomadic necessarily, but I want to explore some cities before settling down. That way I can find where it feels like home-ish before going back to school. I wouldn't want to get a state license in cosmetology school and build a clientele only to move and lose all my clients. And I'm sure as heck not staying in Michigan. Real estate is something else I'm considering but that also is better to start on a home base, not while traveling
So I have a few cities in mind of places I'd like to go to settle for long months at a time, until I find the right one-and I am hoping for some advice on where that right one may be! I may be young but I'm practical and doing this the right way is really important to me. I don't wanna go somewhere where the cost of living is so wild, I won't be building a savings which is the goal until I decide to finally go back to school.

-Work wise, serving is my best bet, I have lots of experience in many fields though and I'm not too worried about finding work, food and hospitality isn't too hard (speaking of serving food, I'm a foodie! Cool dining scene would rock)

-WEATHER! Thats my main reason for leaving. I'm not a huge fan of hot hot tropical heat but I'd take it over Michigan. Ya'll can argue Seasonal depressions existence all you want, but I have it for sure and it's simply not healthy for me to stay somewhere with such long winters. I love MI summers, they are the best but the rest of the year sucks. All four seasons would rock but not as harsh as here. Overall though, just more sunshine is what I need.

-Friendly city. Wont even dare consider a place like NY or Boston (college prof described the East coast like this, he's a Jersey Native) . I'm very into friendly neighbor like attitudes, not into cold blunt environments.

-I am bi-sexual, few visible tats, not super liberal but for sure need a more open minded city. Portland seems a little "too weird' for me, but something in-between would be nice.

-NATURE. I need lots of green- the more the better. Water would be nice, not a must, but nice. All kinds. Lakes, rivers, ocean. Lakes are my favorite though.

-Cost of living of course- I know nothing will be dirt cheap but I'm not looking for LA/NY housing prices...Im trying to build a savings not debt.

-Overall, just a place for a young 20 something girl to live and escape. Frankly, I'm leaving my family behind and starting over fresh. A good place for that....

So, I am hoping you all could help me narrow down between these options, or suggest some of your own! Everything I listed has a few reasons, they aren't randomly placed there. I'm currently leaning toward Philly, I had to do a lot of research on it because of a school thing and it really stuck out.

1. Denver, Co
2. Philly, Pa
3. Miami, Fl
4. Salt Lake City, UT
5. Portland (iffy, but I hear mixed things)
6. San Fran (Pricey, I know, I'm going against my own statements)

Thanks for reading this far if you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Baltimore fits the bill judging by your preferences.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Other than Salt Lake City, none of the cities mentioned are considered "affordable" and despite the reputation of cheaper Philly is no longer the bargain many think it still is as the average one bedroom city-wide is around $1500 per month...start adding expenses from there. If you want to find a place to live where you can make decent money, and put some aside without living month to month you should probably look beyond the major cities into the medium-sized where there's plenty of opportunity for growth. The Raleigh-Durham area would be a good option as it's very LGBT-friendly (and friendly in general with a well-educated population), is extremely green with lots of trees and has nearby lakes, has a moderate four season climate, a cost of living much more manageable (average one bedroom around $900 per month) and importantly the average resident is well-paid and has disposable income to eat out frequently and pay for salon services (Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed $100 less per month on average than Philly with a cost of living far less).

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times
How much money do you have saved?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:37 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
If I were broke Denver's one of the last places I'd wanna live. It's not Coastal California expensive here, but it's not dirt cheap either. You're looking at over $1000 a month to rent a small apartment in one of the trendy neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 AM

496 posts, read 411,947 times
Take a look at Knoxville, TN. 4 mild seasons, low cost of living, very green, water everywhere ( rivers, lakes ).

Knoxville is more open minded than one might think and definitely a place where you could settle in and buy a home one day. I would live close to downtown, not in the suburbs. My daughter lives in south Knoxville, pays around $800 a month for a 2 bedroom house with fenced in yard. Her neighborhood is working class, small homes, but very safe and friendly. She is close to the river for kayaking and downtown which has some interesting bars and restaurants. Definitely worth looking into.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Atlanta comes to mind. Great foodie city. Pretty affordable and progressive. I'd say quite friendly and warm weather. Also some nice nature both urban and outside the city.

Also just last week NPR's Marketplace did a story in Nashville...supposedly a major shortage of quality restaurant workers that it's becoming quite a problem. The employees said they get to choose the best restaurants to work for and will often be offered benefits incl retirement.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:10 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
How much do you have saved up? What do you think your budget will be? Will you have debts or payments to make? Do you have family or friends in any of these places?

You have a decent list of cities, though I think SF should be completely out of the picture (maybe Sacramento if you wanted California). Other possibilities are Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta, Baltimore, and Richmond (Virginia).

Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Brewerytown, Philly! Though, I would be careful moving anywhere without a real plan set in stone.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junosmom49 View Post
Hello all! Life circumstances recently changed drastically- I am a student in school right now in Michigan, but I may be dropping out in the next few months. I know, I know bad idea. I'd be leaving with VERY little debt (if any) no obligations to kids/family, just me myself and I. Don't wanna stay in MI and have no reason to.

Anyways, I plan on eventually going back to school, though it may be for cosmetology not a degree. In the mean time, I'm going to work and save until that is feasible, by feasible, I mean until I am good and stationed somewhere I want to settle.

I'm not looking to be nomadic necessarily, but I want to explore some cities before settling down. That way I can find where it feels like home-ish before going back to school. I wouldn't want to get a state license in cosmetology school and build a clientele only to move and lose all my clients. And I'm sure as heck not staying in Michigan. Real estate is something else I'm considering but that also is better to start on a home base, not while traveling
So I have a few cities in mind of places I'd like to go to settle for long months at a time, until I find the right one-and I am hoping for some advice on where that right one may be! I may be young but I'm practical and doing this the right way is really important to me. I don't wanna go somewhere where the cost of living is so wild, I won't be building a savings which is the goal until I decide to finally go back to school.

-Work wise, serving is my best bet, I have lots of experience in many fields though and I'm not too worried about finding work, food and hospitality isn't too hard (speaking of serving food, I'm a foodie! Cool dining scene would rock)

-WEATHER! Thats my main reason for leaving. I'm not a huge fan of hot hot tropical heat but I'd take it over Michigan. Ya'll can argue Seasonal depressions existence all you want, but I have it for sure and it's simply not healthy for me to stay somewhere with such long winters. I love MI summers, they are the best but the rest of the year sucks. All four seasons would rock but not as harsh as here. Overall though, just more sunshine is what I need.

-Friendly city. Wont even dare consider a place like NY or Boston (college prof described the East coast like this, he's a Jersey Native) . I'm very into friendly neighbor like attitudes, not into cold blunt environments.

-I am bi-sexual, few visible tats, not super liberal but for sure need a more open minded city. Portland seems a little "too weird' for me, but something in-between would be nice.

-NATURE. I need lots of green- the more the better. Water would be nice, not a must, but nice. All kinds. Lakes, rivers, ocean. Lakes are my favorite though.

-Cost of living of course- I know nothing will be dirt cheap but I'm not looking for LA/NY housing prices...Im trying to build a savings not debt.

-Overall, just a place for a young 20 something girl to live and escape. Frankly, I'm leaving my family behind and starting over fresh. A good place for that....

So, I am hoping you all could help me narrow down between these options, or suggest some of your own! Everything I listed has a few reasons, they aren't randomly placed there. I'm currently leaning toward Philly, I had to do a lot of research on it because of a school thing and it really stuck out.

1. Denver, Co
2. Philly, Pa
3. Miami, Fl
4. Salt Lake City, UT
5. Portland (iffy, but I hear mixed things)
6. San Fran (Pricey, I know, I'm going against my own statements)

Thanks for reading this far if you have!

Louisville! Seriously come down for a festival, stay in the Highlands, and you will fall in love. Those other cities have too much traffic and very $$$$. Louisville has many of the positive attributes of Denver actually, just smaller and more manageable. Still only 3 hours to nice mountains

Louisville is more laid back with 4 equal seasons.

The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page

Come down for Forecastle this summer or Bourbon and Beyond in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.