Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 07:54 PM

53 posts, read 77,278 times

Advertisements

I am forty years old and have the opportunity to relocate and retire anywhere I want and I've decided to take it. Where should I go? I love the rain and cloudy days. Snow is okay but don't want to be buried. Hate the heat. Hate the humidity more. Don't mind a drier climate but don't want to be in the desert. In other words I need at least 15 inches of rain per year, but of course more is better. I love mountains and forests. I love to fish and hike and camp. I consider myself to be religious but I tend to be rather moderate in my political leanings and get along with everyone. Most importantly I think I just want to be left alone in terms of being regulated to death by local government. I'm originally from California and left for obvious reasons. Now I'm in western Colorado. Smaller close knit communities are better but I love the big city too. I'm open to anyplace that meets my above criteria, anywhere except California. I'm even open to somewhere else here in Colorado. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 7,223 times
Hi, I am basing my answer on what you described in your post. I would say Seattle/Tacoma area in WA or Portland OR. Both of these areas have a climate somewhat similar of what you described and considering that Seattle has a bunch of outdoor activities such as hiking and fishing, it would be a nice place to retire.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:22 AM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
If you value smaller close-knit communities and like a big city perhaps a smaller town not far outside a major metro would suit you best as neither Seattle or Portland have ever been described as "close knit" from my experience...in fact more the opposite. Check out towns like Corvallis OR or Olympia WA which are much smaller (around 60K in population) and while more intimate not difficult to assimilate as an "outsider" since they're either a college town (Oregon State U in Corvallis) and the WA state capital in Olympia...and used to seeing new faces. Both would fulfill your recreational interests well and are a good bit less expensive in terms of housing which is a major perk.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the input. Those are all great choices in every area except size. Olympia, for example, is still too much a part of the greater Seattle metroplex for my tastes. I also don't like a long stretched out decentralized metros like the Puget Sound or the Wasatch Front in Utah, for example.

I'm interested in something more along the lines of a single central core city surrounded by smaller suburbs, like Portland. But even Portland is still just too big for me. Even Idaho's Treasure Valley, which I had been looking into, is pushing it with near 700,000 people. Boise itself is 220,000 which is about my limit for a "big" city.

I might check out Corvallis though. That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking size wise. If I had to say for sure I think I'm looking for metro with a central core city of between 50,000 and 150,000 with several smaller surrounding suburbs pushing a total of maybe 250,000-300,000 people.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Before I look at the other replies: Spokane, WA/North Idaho.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Okay so turns our my mom just retired early (my dad retired a few years ago) and they are going to move to the PNW. We are thinking of looking of looking that way too in our search. But the more we think about we want the same climate so are looking at east of the Cascades. Using the same criteria as stated in the original post should we look at Boise, Spokane/CDA, Ellensburg, Wenatchee, Yakima, Bend/Redmond or LaGrande/Baker City? Tri-Cities is out because it isn't a "mountain" town.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:00 AM

731 posts, read 935,576 times
What about a town on the Olympic Peninsula or Kitsap Peninsula. Poulsbo, Port Townsend... Very close to the Olympic mountains, smaller towns, Loads of rain.

Coeur D'Alene is gorgeous and probably very much what you're after. Yakima is very sunny, warm, and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.