Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 18,033 times

Advertisements

Hello! You all seem really knowlegable (or opinionated) but both are what I'm here for. I currently live in CT with my nine year old. I'm looking to move and start fresh. I'm waiting for the house to sell ( ha ha) and divorce to finalize. Then I am wanting to explore new territory.

A little about us - we're looking for (in a perfect world), vegetarian friendly, pet friendly, weather that isn't extreme (no snow would be fine, but searing hot summers we can do without). Easier access to holistic doctors and people of thought would be nice. Even small communties. I love being a hermit and I love being in NYC....so I think I'd be fine as long as I'm not just hanging out with a tumbleweed.

I have friends that live in Portland, OR, Atlanta, GA, San Rafael, CA and another daughter who is in Mesa, AZ. These places are also options but I know Mesa gets rather hot.

Of course it would be great if it was not as expensive as here. I also like access to an artsy community if possible. I currently work in pharmaceuticals but have done waitressing, sales repping and buying. I'd like to be able to live off ONE job and have access to decent public schools and afterschool care.

Thanks in advance!! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
You'd love Bardstown Road or Frankfort Avenue in Louisville, KY. They're like a piece of San Francisco or Portland in the American Heartland with tons of hippies, vegetarians, and cyclists. Cost of living here is much more affordable, a nice 4 bedroom home would cost $150,000 in a nice area.

Here are some area pics:
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144302.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144304.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7404126.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Eugene, OR might be a good choice. Not too far from friends in Portland. Not expensive, occassional snow, not hot, etc. With University of Oregon in Eugene, I'm sure there's an art crowd and a good university hospital.
Eugene, OR, Real Estate Listings and Eugene, OR Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

Portland will be more expensive, but is somewhere to consider.

Davis, CA. (20 mins from Sacramento)
Davis, CA, Real Estate Listings and Davis, CA Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

Sacramento, CA.
Sacramento, CA, Real Estate Listings and Sacramento, CA Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

Orange County, CA (Irvine, Mission Viejo, San Juan Capistrano, Laguna Niguel)
Mission Viejo, CA, Real Estate Listings and Mission Viejo, CA Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

What exactly is your price range?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:33 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
For moderate temperatures, Colorado could be a good option. It's pretty mild year year round, with some snow in the winter.

Also look at Eureka, CA. It's a quaint, environmentally friendly town in Northern California. Very unique vibe.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
But most the other cities listed here seem fine. Louisville may more fit your weather specifics. It'll be hard to find the right spot, though, since most places are either cold in winter or hot in summer, or both. Those without seasons are often more expensive. Some areas of the midsouth may meet your needs, warm without being too warm.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 AM

Thanks so much for those replies! And thanks for the pictures....very cool. I hadn't thought of KY, but forgot that I do have a friend there too. I'm not sure what my price range will be as I'd have to get a new job. Currently I make 53K a year and if I were renting, would be maximum in a place for $1200 a month.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM

57 posts, read 324,901 times
I would suggest places in KY or MO considering your finances. That would go A LONG WAYS in alot of places.
May want to look into Memphis. They have excellant medical care but I don't know how it is as far as holistic goes. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
The first site you should try is craigslist.com for listings.

Forget about my other post.

Your choices should be
  • STL
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Columbus, OH
  • Nashville
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Denver
  • Sacramento
  • Eugene
  • Portland
  • Albuquerque
  • Santa Fe
  • Austin, TX (may be a little too hot for you though)
I don't know much about KY though.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I thought about STL, but it gets really hot and really cold.

But I think it meets everything else.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The first site you should try is craigslist.com for listings.

Forget about my other post.

Your choices should be
  • STL
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Columbus, OH
  • Nashville
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Denver
  • Sacramento
  • Eugene
  • Portland
  • Albuquerque
  • Santa Fe
  • Austin, TX (may be a little too hot for you though)
I don't know much about KY though.
Interesting about Columbus, OH. That's one of the huge pulse points of the company that I work for now. Thanks for your input!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.